Northampton

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Northampton

Postby Bombcup » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:20 pm

If you're anywhere near I would urge you to make a detour to Cafe d'Italia on Fish Street in Northampton. Popped in there yesterday and was immediately encouraged by the two group Visacrem LEVER machine behind the counter, and the Italian owner / barista who seemed to have English very much as his second language. I ordered a double ristresso and here's what turned up:

It tasted even better than it looks, beautifully rich and very nutty. He was very busy so couldn't really chat but he told me he imported the beans from Italy, and no he would not sell me any!

He also does great Panninis and Focaccia sandwiches. 10 out of 10.
Bombcup

RE: Northampton

Postby espressomattic » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:11 am

AH Nothampton...never thought the day would come when good coffee would come from there....
There is a little place along Billing Road that does Greens as well.

Being a former Ketteringite, I can say that Cortado used to be good on Montagu St as well.

Maybe one day I will get to try one :D hows Wellingborough these days????
espressomattic

Postby Bombcup » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:50 pm

Wellingborough has recently succumbed to the endless proliferation of Costa Coffee. On the upside at least the frontage has smartened up market street a little bit. :cry: Other than that, nothing good to report. Haven't been to Kettering for ages, nothing much to draw anyone there! Went to Blenders in Northampton and bought some Australian beans, can't remember exactly what they were but I wasn't overly impressed. Also bought some green Mysore but haven't tried roasting them yet. Nice shop with a good smell from the roaster in the corner.

Also I just found out my friend has just started working in the cafe at the BMW dealership on Bedford Rd. They've given her no real training on the espresso machine, but she's asked me to come in when it's quiet to give her a run through. Can't wait to get my hands on one of those posh commercial jobbies and she reckons it will be worth big points for her!

Can't think for the life of me why you would have moved from Kettering to NZ! :wink: Are you there on an exchange programme with Carlos Spencer? If so would you mind swapping back? :)
Bombcup

Postby espressomattic » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:01 pm

It was a one way swap!!!! :P

The Mysore from Blenders was so so. I wouldn't get too excited about it to be honest :?

Hang on did you include Market Street and smart in the same sentence???

I think Costa is the Best of the commercial outlets to be honest. Defo on the good side of mediocre.
espressomattic

Postby Bombcup » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:47 pm

The Mysore from Blenders was so so. I wouldn't get too excited about it to be honest

Boo! I've just roasted a batch tonight and it looks great. Now I've got to wait 48hrs to be disappointed?!
Bombcup

Return to Places to drink coffee