I HAVE MY SHOP!!!! Finally...

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

I HAVE MY SHOP!!!! Finally...

Postby Joey » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:21 pm

AAAARRRGHHH! I just wrote a long post - and although I was logged in it dissapeared after submitting... (Phil, I could use the "wallbang" emoticon now!)

Anyway - Sorry Neku, I'm copying parts of the PM I wrote to you recently - I don'T wanna type all again 8)

I told you in another post that a new chain isn't making the numbers they want in all the locations in Vienna....
So in the USA you would say "oh, oh - if *xx* moves out, that place can't be so good" - but here in Vienna the market is different.
That place is an open speciality market where people pay much more money to get something special from somewhere in the world, and Austria, too, of course. We are between one of the most famous Italian delicatessen shop and the most famous Vinothek (where people taste, test and buy wine)

On a market like that a "fast food chain" - even if it's fast coffee has a very hard time. A McDonald would never survive there, for example.

Our speciality concept fits very well, the customers there are totally our target group.

At the beginning they wanted to have 100 000 Euro replacement investment for the 400 000 Euro they have spent making that place just wonderful. (they rebuilt the stuccato ceilings, made several new toilets, a kitchen, lots of lights, a security door, all the electrical plumbing for the camera, hifi, floor made of stone tiles and partially wood and a ventilation system until up to the roof, 5 floors high! - the most expensive part....)

Now they don't want the 100 000 Euro from us! They are happy that we can move in quickly (2 months time to get ready, starting from the 1st of August)

Unfortunately the rent is very high, but it's a good location and we safe so much money because the place is technically perfect. We just have to change the colors of the walls, get some new wood on the sides, a new bar and move our furniture and the machines...fill the freezers and the boilers and off we go...

Ha, if it would be that easy :roll:
Hardest part will be finding the perfect employees and training them.

Opening could be on the 1st of October - the day of coffee here in Austria! Our chamber of commerce is making quite a marketing hype of that day, that would be cheap advertising for me, too, as a member...
I should jump on that train and use that day for an opening party.

Unfortunately I won't have much time then to browse through TMC as much as I did recently - maybe a relief :lol: for some - but before the stress begins i will finish reassembeling my 3 group and 2 group La San Marcos and make an article about it for Phil...

Hope you can all come and visit me some day(s) :D

Aloha
Joey :lol:

Aloha
Joey
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby alans » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:54 pm

GREAT NEWS JOEY!!!! I know it's been a long saga for you and I look forward to dropping in one day.
alans

Postby simonp » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:26 am

Good luck, we should arrange a group visit once you are up and running :D

SimonP
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby Raf » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:54 am

Good news, Joey, I'm relieved to hear it. K and I will be on your doorstep to taste your coffee before you know it! ;)
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby HughF » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:56 am

Congratulations Joey... but after your nice work on Web designs, you may be choosing another career soon!

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby Joey » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:57 am

Here are some pics of the place right now - of corse they will take anything out that has their corporate design on it now - so this is just to view the space...
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/shar ... &sm=1&sl=0
I would love to anrrange a TMC day once....we'll keep tha idea in our minds.
Now I'm just not sure anymore if I'll make it on the 8th of August, I'll be probably standing on a ladder painting the walls ;-)

joey
Joey

Postby mattmills » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:16 am

Congratulations joey, i wish you all the best and look forward to visiting you some day.
mattmills

Postby Raf » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:20 am

Damn that place is HUGE! Looks perfect, Joey. You must be walking on clouds.

(You selling that shiny LM, by the way ;)?)
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby simonp » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:25 am

Oh, how deeply satisfying it must be taking over what was a Starbucks building and turning it into a real coffe establishment
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby Joey » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:25 am

Neku wrote:Damn that place is HUGE! Looks perfect, Joey. You must be walking on clouds.

(You selling that shiny LM, by the way ;)?)

Yes Sir, I am!
The LM will be repaired by me - wanna spy the technique a bit and try what all the fuss is about. It has been standing empty for 3 years, so you can imagine how dry the gaskets are :?

But if you visit me you can all play with it :D

...yeah, and I guess I will sell it later if it doesn't convince me to be better then my LSMs....

Joey
Joey

Postby phil » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:26 am

Wow! Congratulations Joey!

I can only regret that our plans to visit Vienna in the near future seem to be on hold! :cry:
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby Joey » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:29 am

simonp wrote:Oh, how deeply satisfying it must be taking over what was a Starbucks building and turning it into a real coffe establishment

*giggle* and a bit of *laughing up my sleeve*, indeed.
joey

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Joey

Postby Joey » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:38 am

HughF wrote:Congratulations Joey... but after your nice work on Web designs, you may be choosing another career soon!

Cheers,

Hugh

ähh, actually I quit beeing a grafic designer because I can't stand it any more :roll:
We just sold our ad-company to a partner *relieved*
I'm looking forward to:
NOT having to argue about prices
Getting IMMEDIATLY feedback if customers like what I do
NOT having to wait 4-6 months on payment
and I still can be creative and make my own advertising, design and try many different recipies - most of all I love to be a host and communicate with lots of people. I would die working at home, alone. And the 5 employees office we have had was nice, but for the above reasons not satisfactory.
Recently there were too many clients ordering cheaper and cheaper printers and we were hold responsible for any mistakes they made...quality costs more, but people don't see that...

Ok, the nagging stops - I'm happy that I can start something new, after 8 years of advertising I deserve better :wink:

And thank you all for your nice words and wishes! I really appreciate that.
(...thinking of a kiss-emoticon now...Phil... :lol: )
joey
Joey

Postby cleverdic » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:32 am

Joey,
Congratulations, :lol:
I wish you all the very best for your new venture. If you apply a fraction of the enthusiasm that you show on TMC, then it will be undoubtedly a success

Good Luck,

Richard
Rancilio S24 and MD40
Gene Cafe Roaster
cleverdic

Postby Ian » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:55 am

Joey, many,many congratulations! The location looks great.

I know you've worked hard to get this far and I'm sure you've got the enthusiasm to make it work.

Best of luck!

Cheers

Ian
Ian

Next

Return to Places to drink coffee