Marrakech

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Marrakech

Postby Ed » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:35 am

Hi all,

What is the coffee scene like in Marrakech. I will be there in October for a city break and I wondered if anybody has any recommendations.

Thanks

Ed
Ed

Postby Simon » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:35 am

Sorry, never been, but I used to know a couple of Moroccan blokes who made coffee with cardamom pods in it, and lots of grounds at the bottom of the cup - like a fairly long espresso. It was OK for a change, but I haven't started spicing my shots yet :lol:
Simon

Postby Ed » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:46 pm

As I have now been to Marrakech I can answer my own question, for the information of those who might go there.

There are many cafes and eateries around the place, including McDonalds and Pizza Hut!!!

If you go there you will certainly go to Place Jemaa el Fna. We were based in a riad (guest house) in the souk just to the north of the square so spent a lot of time sitting at cafes on the edge of the action. This seems to be a major past-time in Marrakech. Of these cafes the Cafe de France always gets a good write up and it has a good high level terrace from which to view the square at night (when it is at its best). The coffee there is not the best.

Best coffee in that sort of area was in a small bar just down from the Cafe de France called Aqua. Aqua is obviously trying to achieve Italian style and has a reasonable menu of pizza, paninis etc. It also has a high level terrace that was being developed when we were there. The espresso there was as good as I have tasted and it is the only place that I tried that I would dare to recommend in this company.

If you do go to Marrakech then look up Aqua.

Ed
Ed

Return to Places to drink coffee