Boston

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Boston

Postby Gadders » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:20 pm

So i recently spent 2 weeks in New England and a few days in Montreal, wasn't expecting much from the area, and largely that was the case. This is a visual representation - wasn't planning on remembering any taste notes!

First stop was the Lone Gull coffeehouse, Gloucester, MA.
http://www.lonegull.com/

Nice little place with friendly staff, double espresso, in the cup i got a proper 2oz shot, good crema and a nice smooth balanced taste. A good drinkable temperature. They'd won some sort of award too.

Would i go back? ... Definitely :)

Now into Boston, the second stop was L'aroma cafe. It had been recently taken over and seemed to be a modern, vibrant cafe. In the shop they had two La Spaz S5's and macap grinders. Again, double espresso. The shot was long, with ok crema, again a reasonable temperature with a balanced taste - but it didnt live up to the shops reported reputation.

Every cafe seems to be an award winner of some sort

Would i go back?.... No.

Next was purely accidental, walking along i spotted this sign which i could quite easily have missed.

It was a little stall from Red Barn Roasters, with a small Faema and mazzer super jolly. I had high hopes - since there would be no excuse for stale coffee, and theres always an attraction if there is a roaster connection there. Double espresso of their espresso blend in a paper cup. Good crema, good quantity, a little hot but tasted generally good. The baristas seemed quite clued up with good technique, still though it was a little off the mark, with major room for improvement. They had a small seating area, plenty of coffee for sale and a variety of single origins.

A nice touch

Would i go back?... If i was passing, Yes.

Next we walked to the Italian part of the city to sample the big two cafe's there.

First up, Cafe Graffiti. This had a big hype in the guide book... "Authentic italian, italian football playing on tele, genuine italian baristi, etc." The cafe itself was interesting, but the coffee was rubbish. I gingerly ordered a double espresso from a guy behind the bar who couldve crushed my head between his arm and bicep. Double espresso, more like a quadruple. I couldn't drink it. Way too hot, and the blend mustve consisted of a LOT of robusta because the crema was massive and was still strong about 10 minutes later. Bitter, disgusting.

This wall was interesting.

Would i go back?... Only to pay protection money.

Across the road was another big-hype shop, "Caffe Vittoria". The whole place was furnished with heaps of antique espresso kit.

Have a read:

As you walk in you are greeted by a massive Bezzera vintage machine (not in use). No individual roaster for these italians, lavazza all the way. Ok setting, Italian staff but the old italian woman behind the machine wasn't pulling good shots. I ordered a single, which actually came out as a double. Too hot, lacking in crema, very bitter - even the cup wasn't very nice! Old style cafe.

Who gives out these awards!?

So there we have it! A taste of the coffee in and around Boston. A few good cafe's, but even then the coffee isn't all that great.
Gadders

RE: Boston

Postby dsc » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:10 am

G'day,

a realy nice write up Gadders:) also nice photos, but that doppio from RBC looks like a cappuccino:) or is it just the angle of the picture? Lone Gull sounds nice and looks nice also. It's cool to see someone using black cups instead of the usual white ones, makes the espresso look quite cool. The cup shot from L'aroma Cafe looks like there's tea inside the cup:)

How come you were in Boston?

Cheers,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

Postby Gadders » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:03 am

hehe, yea it does actually - just the angle of the picture thankfully :P

I was there on holiday, interesting city if you get the chance to go, and lots of history :)
Gadders

Postby BazBean » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:54 pm

good work from our roving TMC reporter.
thanks for taking the time and effort Gadders ;-)
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby Aadje » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:09 pm

The hitchhikers guide to good coffee? 8)
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:14 pm

Nice article Gadders. Gosh, some of those 'shots' were indeed very interesting. Just looking at each of the photos, I was thinking "yes, hell like that" or "no" ........ they were so obviously good or bad. Quite the two extremes :). Glad you had fun, and thanks for sharing all the fab photos :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Return to Places to drink coffee