Atmosphere

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Atmosphere

Postby canta_brian » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:00 am

On the basis that most of us make better coffee at home than we can get out I hardly bother with cafes these days unless I see a place that looks really independent and seems to have a lot of atmosphere. I have had some truly awful coffees because of this technique but will never regret it. The only thing that I miss when I sit down with a good shot at home is having some music on that I have never heard before and being served by someone with a piercing.

BBC 6 music is now on and I have just found the stapler...
canta_brian

RE: Atmosphere

Postby bruceb » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:07 am

Probably just a sign of my being a cranky old f*rt, but the "atmosphere" and "music" and piercings are exactly the reason that I don't even try coffee anywhere else anymore.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Re: Atmosphere

Postby psychomansam » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:21 am

canta_brian wrote:On the basis that most of us make better coffee at home than we can get out I hardly bother with cafes these days unless I see a place that looks really independent and seems to have a lot of atmosphere. I have had some truly awful coffees because of this technique but will never regret it. The only thing that I miss when I sit down with a good shot at home is having some music on that I have never heard before and being served by someone with a piercing.

BBC 6 music is now on and I have just found the stapler...

Well said, i cling to some faint hope of finding somewhere with coffee to match the ambience, tho i rarely risk it(i'm a poor student). I love a good atmosphere, and nothing beats an old cracked brown leather sofa. And a smile is always good...

Ah well... i'm hoping there's a gap in the market for me to take up sometime...
Bezzera BB105, Hario slim grinder, Hario filter, swissgold filter, aeropress, cafetieres, cold brewer, stovetops, lots of teas...

...and lots of love
:-)
psychomansam

RE: Re: Atmosphere

Postby Gadders » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:51 pm

If a coffee shop has any sort of latin american salsa playing, im in :P
Gadders

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:44 pm

I don't mind what they look like as long as they can make decent coffee and the music is chilled.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Skippy » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:58 pm

I love the cafe atmosphere, does go some way in making up for the terrible coffee
Cimbali Junior D/1
Skippy

Re: Atmosphere

Postby Glenn » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:33 pm

canta_brian wrote:BBC 6 music is now on and I have just found the stapler...

I just about wet myself :roll:

The original post is such an accurate reflection of todays cafe society.

I get so many compliments about my coffee I'm considering putting an OPEN sign above my front door - it'd put Nero (just up the road) out of business.

Even my Aeropress coffee gets ooh's and aah's from those who visit the Nero beneath my office.
Gaggia Classic | Mahlkonig Vario | Chemex | Aeropress | Refractometer & Extract Mojoâ„¢ | mypressi TWISTâ„¢ | Reg Barber Copper Base Tamper | and only the best beans
Glenn

Postby kingseven » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:58 pm

It is amazing how many cafes seem to forget how important this is. So many identikit cafes in the UK - same chairs, same sandwich fridges, they feel cheap and aren't particularly nice places to linger. In our roadtrip in the US it was one of the things that we were looking for and found in abundance - lots of places I wished were in my neighbourhood.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Re: RE: Re: Atmosphere

Postby bruceb » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:39 pm

kingseven wrote:It is amazing how many cafes seem to forget how important this is. So many identikit cafes in the UK - same chairs, same sandwich fridges, they feel cheap and aren't particularly nice places to linger. In our roadtrip in the US it was one of the things that we were looking for and found in abundance - lots of places I wished were in my neighbourhood.

I guess you weren't traveling through Missouri. :twisted:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

RE: Re: RE: Re: Atmosphere

Postby johnny » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:56 pm

I do love Cafe atmosphere ..... even to the point that I love wandering around Clifton on a sunday, popping into a coffee shop ordering a latte and bit of cake, sitting there watching the world go by, listening to Manu Chao and complaining how crap the coffee is.

Its ideal
- Vivi
- MC4
- No kitchen space left
johnny

music

Postby creamscone » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:46 am

Hey...i own/work in a coffee shop in oxford and up until a couple of weeks ago we had a great relationship with Fopp, and could get some awesome music. But they are no longer open! Any suggestions? We are currently playing the Weepies, which is great, but always on the lookout for some great atmosphere setting music!
creamscone

RE: music

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:07 pm

Jazz :). Welcome to TMC. It's great to have a local indie cafe owner onboard :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby creamscone » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:15 pm

Thanks, its great to be here (most days, lol!). What kind of jazz....I have often tried to find some good jazz, but being more of a rock chick have struggled to find anything appropriate!
creamscone

Postby BazBean » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:08 pm

a good idea IMHO and experience is to position a playlist with differing artists depending on time of day as well....
we get a lot of comments on the music and should now get commision or royalty on the new Josh Groban CD as 4 people have nipped over to HMV and bought it immedietly.
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby Gouezeri » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:18 pm

Maybe try last.fm or pandora for ideas, start with something that seems popular in the cafe, then work from there.
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Next

Return to Places to drink coffee