Lurker emerges to ask about Amsterdam and den Haag

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Lurker emerges to ask about Amsterdam and den Haag

Postby Wes » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:42 pm

I"ve been nibbling around the edges here because I'm a US citizen living in Moscow. Not exactly European and not completely out of the European sphere of influence either. An odd duck.

Anyhow, the difficulty of buying a stepless MACAP M4 in Moscow has combined with my need to leave Russia every six months to service my visa. The upshot is that I have a long weekend in the Netherlands, first visiting friends in Oss, then in Amsterdam, then to the Hague to buy my grinder from Espresso Service West.

My questions are two: What are the best places in Amsterdam and den Haag for a decent espresso? Are there any stores that might stock cheaper roasters such as the iRoast?

The first question I have already researched here, and it looks like a visit to Brandmeesters is in order. Maybe that also serves for the second question. I guess I'm looking for places that have not been mentioned before because they popped up recently or places in den Haag which I think has not been covered before.

Many thanks to all here for all you offer.
Wes

RE: Lurker emerges to ask about Amsterdam and den Haag

Postby bruceb » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:22 pm

No problem, there are a number of us token Yanks here. Enjoy the coffee!

I don't have any answers to your questions, but some of our Dutch friends surely will. Good luck.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

RE: Lurker emerges to ask about Amsterdam and den Haag

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:57 pm

Hi Wes :D . No need to lurk, you are very welcome here.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Re: RE: Lurker emerges to ask about Amsterdam and den Haag

Postby Niko » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:53 pm

bruceb wrote:No problem, there are a number of us token Yanks here.
And I'm in that same boat, only I'm European living in the States...

Hi Wes, nice to see you on these forums as well!
La Spaziale S1
La Spaziale VII
Quick Mill Anita
Mazzer Mini Type B
MACAP MC4
Niko

Postby Andretti » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:19 am

Amsterdam: one of the shops from the Coffeecompany.

Probably others. There are some postings allready about this subject.

http://toomuchcoffee.com/index.php?name ... pic&t=3818

http://toomuchcoffee.com/index.php?name ... pic&t=4258

Den Haag:

De Waag/Zeta/Zwarte Ruiter/ September all next too each other, same owners and supplied by ESW. Depending on who is serving it can be decent to excellent

If you hang out at ESW you'll probably get a cuppa from one of the La Marzocco's. Nice folks at ESW!

La Mano Meastra supplied by the Golden Coffeebox (Barend Boot)

Have fun!
Now: Fiorenzato Bricoletta plumbed in with rotary, Mazzer Mini M, Cappuccinolover: Barbera Classica with goat milk! Before: Fiorenzato Bricoletta tank,La Pavoni Espresso Lusso, Gaggia MDF
Andretti

Postby Joris » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:30 am

I know ongebrand.nl stocks the iroast. about coffee in Den Haag, check the places Andretti said. Mano Maestra didn't really impress me the couple of times I've been there, I expected a lot better. Another one to try is Casa di Bella which is located on the Abeelplein (next to Koemans Snackbar at the Fahrenheitstraat). Or you could drop by at my place for a cuppa, I'm very near to ESW.
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

Postby GreenBean » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:40 am

Welcome to TMC Wes. Enjoy your trip to the Netherlands.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby Wes » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:37 pm

Wow! Thank you all for the warm welcome, and for all the suggestions! More than I can cover in the time available. No matter, I'll do the best I can. Special thanks to you, Joris, for the invititation to your place, which no doubt will top all the rest. I intend to be in the Hague on Monday afternoon to buy from ESW, and I suspect that won't be convenient for you if your work hours are standard.

Anyhow, I'll have to go over all this and rank order the lot and then triage it.
Wes

Postby lukas » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:42 pm

A warm welcome to the madhouse here too :)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby Joris » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:17 pm

Wes, you've got PM.
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

Henk is here !

Postby Henkespresso » Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:33 am

Hi,

Nice to see my company name so often, I think Sander has been running youre order, when do you visit our company ?, nice espresso is also at Dishy espressobar Noordeinde ( LM Linea, K 30 Lavazza), Zebedeus LM Linea K 30 Barbera, Jacobz LM Linea Panamaria K 30, and so on, ofcourse you can pull some shots on our Linea and FB 80 !!

Hope I can meet you,

henk
henk@esw.nl
Kees van der Westen Speedster, Mahlkonig K 30 Vario Piano black Polished, Gene Roaster, and 35 Vintage espressomachines, Faema, Gaggia, KvdW, Eureka, La Cimbali, Cosmos, La Marzocco, Rancilio etc.
Henkespresso

Postby toast21 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:29 pm

hmmm, well just a quick thanks to everyone on this topic as well... i'm off to amsterdam on friday for the weekend :)

If i have time, i'll try to stop in and have a few coffees... otherwise i'm afraid i'll go cold turkey for a few days :D
In the middle of darkness a voice spoke to me. "Smile and be happy" it said, "For things could be worse". So I smiled, and was happy, and things got worse.

- Iberital L’Anna
- Mazzer SJ
- Reg barber Tamper
toast21

Return to Places to drink coffee