Viennese cafe

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Viennese cafe

Postby cleverdic » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:33 pm

Hi,

Having read the excellent book "devils cup" as reviewed by Flimbag, there is reference to a Viennese place called Cafe Demel where apparently, cappuccinos are served exactly as at the beginning of the century using not espresso but strong brewed coffee, whipped cream and chocolate shavings.

Does it still exist? and if so, do they still serve this drink and finally what does it taste like?

Richard
Rancilio S24 and MD40
Gene Cafe Roaster
cleverdic

Postby Joey » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:01 pm

Hmmm, you make me curious - never heard about that before. But I will find it out in the next days when I'm in the city center.
Do you mean there was a time when cappuccinos were made with whipped cream?
Because I'm always fighting with waiters who want to serve me cappuccinos with whipped cream in Vienna. When I say "I want my milk foamed" then they reply "That would be a Melange you want". But a Melange has not much foam, it's more like a small latte. When you explain about 1/3 espresso, 1/3 milk, 1/3 foam - you get a snobbish look.

I'll tell you about the Demel-Cappuccino soon. A good reason for me to get some candied violets :-D Thanks!

Joey
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby ianboughton » Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:52 pm

Yes, it does exist. There was a row there recently for the following reason - the waitresses, the 'Demelerinnen' (I think) have traditionally ruled the place, wear traditional gear, and generally keep the place running. New owners came in, and decided (according to one story) to turn part of the place into a coffee-takeaway. The Demelerinnen produced a chorus equivalent to 'bugger that!' and threatened all kinds of action. The owner protested that he had merely intended to add a little deli counter, not turn the place into Starbucks. That was about three months ago, and I fear that's where my recollection of the story ends...

-IanB
ianboughton

Postby Joey » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:26 pm

ok, been there.
crappy coffee, high prices, no whipped cream - cappuccino and melange is the same for them, and Demel was bought by one of Austrias most famous catering companies. But they leave the Demel as clasy as it always was - not change in food or anything. Wonderful cakes and pastries though!!!!
Joey
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby cleverdic » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:47 pm

oh, what a disappointment :(

Thanks for checking it out though. 8)

Richard
Rancilio S24 and MD40
Gene Cafe Roaster
cleverdic

Return to Places to drink coffee