Cafe gusto and Coffee #1 in Bristol

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Cafe gusto and Coffee #1 in Bristol

Postby johnny » Tue May 15, 2007 9:35 am

I need a second opinion on this if anyone is based in Bristol.

the Cafe Gusto mid way down Whiteladies rd (by sainsburries) and Coffee #1 in clifton.

The last few times I have popped into both of them, I have had latte's that have arrived with the early attempts of latte art on them.

Its the start of the coffee revolution I tell thee .... the coffee was good, strong and not bitter, but thats exactly what I would expect from Baristas that are trying Latte art.

give it a year or two and Bristol will become the next Vancouver !!!!! :wink:
- Vivi
- MC4
- No kitchen space left
johnny

Hey

Postby Kaffiene » Fri May 18, 2007 8:19 pm

I havnt been in those myself but my partner and I will hopefully be opening a coffee cart on college green or St. Augustines parade. As a coffee lover we would like to know what you think about the following:
a) Fair Trade coffee
b) the price of coffee
c) your favourite coffee
d) any coffee related ideas

xHellzx
Kaffiene

RE: Hey

Postby johnny » Mon May 21, 2007 11:37 am

a) - doesnt bother me one bit if it is or isnt Fairtrade as there is so much inconsistency in facts and practice that the term peretty much means nothing. ..... BUT for the general public who for it is currently vogue to be doing anything honorable like stoping global warming, buying organic, saving puppies and eating anything with FAIRTRADE emblazened across it ... it might improve your sales

b) If you can under cut Expensivebucks or Costa lotta money, then it a good good thing !

c) I am a Latte man, as long as its strong

d) Latte Art ....... its like the seal of aproval, if you get a picture drawn on your drink, then you just know the Barisa knows what s/he is doing. That and the microfoam makes the coffee taste sweeter.

Good luck and let us know when and where you will be so I can pop along !!!!!
- Vivi
- MC4
- No kitchen space left
johnny

RE: Hey

Postby quink » Fri May 25, 2007 1:22 pm

Never been in either of those, but will give it a look next time I'm going that way. Baristas is normally good, down by the Fleece and Firkin. It all depends on whos working at the time though.
Modified Rancilio Silvia, Gaggia 2600 grinder, La Pavoni Pub 1EV
quink

Postby johnny » Wed May 30, 2007 10:15 am

I'll give them a shot ! ...... or they will give me one, the Girlfriend works down that way, so I'll go check them out, in pretence of going to meet her from work :D
- Vivi
- MC4
- No kitchen space left
johnny

Postby Stu » Wed May 30, 2007 11:19 am

I rate Boston Tea Party on Can't Park Street.. depends on who is serving as always...
-------------------------------------------------
Gaggia Classic Silvia Steam Mod No grinder.. yet..
Stu

Postby marionhaste » Wed May 30, 2007 9:43 pm

Oh aye - I love it there too. Fantastic garden as well.
marionhaste

Postby Stu » Wed May 30, 2007 9:55 pm

Not to mention the cakes :) Cue Cakeboy :)
Back in the good old days ( about 7 years ago) there used to be a Barista serving there with dreadlocks... he served the most fantastic espresso and was also particularly good with his latte art.
Alas he moved on to pastures new (wish I knew where) and Boston has seen a few new faces since. Having said that the quality remains reasonably predictable.
If you are selective about who serves you, you generally get a nice cup.
Really must try the other two places Johnny mentioned... Might even find my path straying that way this weekend ;)
Stu
Stu

Postby Stu » Thu May 31, 2007 7:26 pm

Johnny,

Was lucky enough to visit Coffee#1 today in Clifton.
What can I say! Firstly thank you!
I enjoyed what was probably the best shop bought coffee ever.. Admittedly it was a latte (still building up the courage to order that fateful espresso! :s )
Great atmosphere in there too with nice tasting hot paninis.
My better half enjoyed TWO hot chocolates which, for a change, did exactly what they said in the tin... both hot and tasted of chocolate and not the container it came in.
Definately be going back there.
Cafe Gust will alas have to wait for another day!

Anyone know any good coffee in the Dorset area? Nearish to Dorchester. Visiting this weekend and may have time to enjoy (hopefully) a nice cup.
Cheers,
Stu
Stu

Origin Coffee

Postby Leechampion » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:03 am

Kaffiene wrote:I havnt been in those myself but my partner and I will hopefully be opening a coffee cart on college green or St. Augustines parade. As a coffee lover we would like to know what you think about the following:
a) Fair Trade coffee
b) the price of coffee
c) your favourite coffee

xHellzx

[edited by Raf: removed self promotional content]
Leechampion

Postby johnny » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:34 pm

Stu wrote:Was lucky enough to visit Coffee#1 today in Clifton.
What can I say! Firstly thank you!

phwew ... I wasnt imagining it then.

Overall Cafe gusto has made a better coffee .... hell their espresso actually has a crema on it .... I blame this on none of the staff being English .. maybe its just cynisism but I am sure that French / Spanish / Italians ... well the whole of Europe is brought up knowing what an espresso machine is. ... the only probalem with Cafe Gusto is they get very busy at the weekends during the day and as you would expect the drinks become inconsistent

glad you enjoyed your drink :D
- Vivi
- MC4
- No kitchen space left
johnny

Postby HughF » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:36 am

From what I hear most (e.g.) Italians use a moka pot at home so they may not know the mechanics of producing good espresso from a pump espresso machine - but above all they are used to good espresso when out and any place that didn't deliver it would be out of business.

In the UK noone complains and there are so few good places that cafes get away with murder - you can't even take your business elsewhere, there's nowhere any better in most towns!

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby bruceb » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:49 am

Hugh's description of coffee tradition in Italy - and in Spain and Portugal as well - is very accurate. The average Italian seems to have a very discerning taste in coffee. I've seen construction workers in Rome return an espresso that they said was too sour or otherwise not up to standards. The barista didn't argue, but apologised and made a fresh one for them and returned their money.

At the same time I have never met an average Italian with an espresso machine at home. When I mentioned that I use a commercial machine at home they look at me like I'm joking or lying. "You can't do that. You don't have enough volume to keep fresh beans. Are you a trained barista?" and so on. The moka they make at home is not very good (but then, I've never really had coffee made in a moka pot that I liked) and they just walk a few steps to the next bar where they drink espresso or espresso based drinks. It's a very different coffee culture.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Re: Origin Coffee

Postby BazBean » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:14 am

Leechampion wrote:
Kaffiene wrote:I havnt been in those myself but my partner and I will hopefully be opening a coffee cart on college green or St. Augustines parade. As a coffee lover we would like to know what you think about the following:
a) Fair Trade coffee
b) the price of coffee
c) your favourite coffee

xHellzx

Hello, I work for a company called ****

How about a first post which tells us about you and your coffee history etc and experience rather than a commercially based statement.
all offers of assitance are allways appreciated and i wish not to be deliberatly argumentative but to declare oneself as a business development manager and to make first post based on promotion of said business is not in the spirit of this forum.
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby chissit » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:50 pm

to make first post based on promotion of said business is not in the spirit of this forum.

I second that one Baz.. I thought exactly the same when I read it.

Don't think this is the right place to post an introductory letter either :roll:
This week, I are mainly juggling too many balls...

Far too much kit!!
chissit

Next

Return to Places to drink coffee