Trip to Rome...

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Trip to Rome...

Postby chissit » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:31 am

Ok guys... don't all shout at once.. I'm travelling to Rome next month for a quick break with some Italian chums..

Any tips on where to find the best of the BEST..????

Already tried Tazza D'Oro last trip and it was superb.. anywhere else spring to mind?? (hotel is just off via nationale)

Any tips would be appreciated, I want to make the most of my free time 8)

Cheers

Gary

Anybody want anything bringing ?? :lol:
This week, I are mainly juggling too many balls...

Far too much kit!!
chissit

Postby toast21 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:12 pm

hey chissit, enjoy rome, i loved it! Its sitting number 1 as my favourite EU city. Unfortunately, when i was last in rome before i started my coffee journey and thought everything there was great!

Good luck though :D
In the middle of darkness a voice spoke to me. "Smile and be happy" it said, "For things could be worse". So I smiled, and was happy, and things got worse.

- Iberital L’Anna
- Mazzer SJ
- Reg barber Tamper
toast21

Postby huub » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:11 pm

I think opinions vary, but I loooooove san eustachio, at the square with the same name, very near tazza d'oro..
They add sugar by default.
excellent, smithers...

Isomac Itala, waterfilter, some shiny grinder that works pretty well, but has no brand I think.
huub

Postby bruceb » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:50 pm

Trombeta right next to the main station (Termini), but almost anywhere. In Rome I had the best espresso I have had anywhere outside of my own kitchen and a cold warehouse in Stafford :wink: :D .

My experience was that you can get a near perfect espresso or milk drink even in little stand-up bars or cafés anywhere in Rome. They use fresh beans and they know how to make proper coffee. Don't be put off if they don't tamp at 200 kilos or whatever you're used to. They know how to set their grinders properly and the shot times are right. Some places serve an espresso with a tiny spoonful of mascarpone with deep, rich chocolate. Try it. It's exquisite! Good luck and enjoy great coffee and great food. :D
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby chissit » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:37 am

My mouth is watering at thought Bruce... can't wait :D :D :D

Far too much kit!!
chissit

Postby BazBean » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:02 pm

bruceb wrote:. Some places serve an espresso with a tiny spoonful of mascarpone with deep, rich chocolate. Try it. It's exquisite! Good luck and enjoy great coffee and great food. :D

:shock:
Off to have a got at that :P
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Re: Trip to Rome...

Postby cleverdic » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:23 pm

chissit wrote:Ok guys... don't all shout at once.. I'm travelling to Rome next month for a quick break with some Italian chums..

Any tips on where to find the best of the BEST..????

Already tried Tazza D'Oro last trip and it was superb.. anywhere else spring to mind?? (hotel is just off via nationale)

Any tips would be appreciated, I want to make the most of my free time 8)

Cheers

Gary

Anybody want anything bringing ?? :lol:

Hi, just stumbled across your post.
did you read mine from a couple of years ago regarding Rome?

http://www.toomuchcoffee.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=1876&highlight=

Loved Tazza D'Oro
Hated Sant Eustachio il caffe. A total tourist ripoff. Maybe they've changed since.
Rancilio S24 and MD40
Gene Cafe Roaster
cleverdic

Postby chissit » Thu May 31, 2007 8:09 pm

OK, it's time for the update...came back yesterday, still feeling a bit jittery after all the shots I've consumed but at least I can focus properly to use the keyboard...

Went back to Tazza d'Oro and found things had changed slightly :shock:
ordered a single (80cents) and was served a shot with around 2mm of crema which seemed a little thin. Ok, I thought, it'll taste good...surely.
Nope, sorry guys it was bitter... :shock: :( :shock:

The guys I went with all take sugar and 2 of them had the macchiato so no one else noticed or commented. It was 1.30 in the afternoon, the huge Wega 4 group was humming away happily, what was the problem??

The next day everything was as it should be... gloopy thick crema, lovely chocolate aromas and not even a hint of bitterness... just a different barista !! I can't understand how it was possible to pull such a bad shot with a setup like that ?

Anyway the trip was fantastic, not a single basket/portafilter in sight. If you order a single, they setup for a double and just let the coffee flow from the disused spout into the driptray... (bit of a waste but couldn't quite fit me head under before they noticed :) )

Also found a new way of serving sugar. In one bar there was a bowl of a really thick, gloopy substance which people were spooning into their cappas. It was 1 espresso/2 parts sugar which is the whisked into a cream like consistancy. Tried half a spoon of it and, although being very sweet, it lt was lovely.

Will post some pics when I have time to sort them...

Cheers

PS. Was given a set of Danesi espresso cups whilst there, I love 'em

Far too much kit!!
chissit

Postby Gadders » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:51 am

Jealous! :(
Gadders

Postby chissit » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:56 pm

A few pics I've resized to fit...
Attachments
d'Oro roaster.jpg
The in house roaster, not in action on unfortunately
d'Oro roaster.jpg (90.89 KiB) Viewed 7066 times
Wall plate.jpg
The wall plate outside showing a semi naked woman scattering coffee beans over the city
Wall plate.jpg (28.31 KiB) Viewed 7066 times
T d'Oro.jpg
Outside Tazza d'Oro on Sunday.. closed
T d'Oro.jpg (41.89 KiB) Viewed 7066 times

Far too much kit!!
chissit

Postby chissit » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:07 pm

Non coffee related pics
Attachments
S Pietro.jpg
551 steps later... phew.. the view from the basilica (St Peter's Square)
S Pietro.jpg (59.24 KiB) Viewed 7051 times
Ape row.jpg
Piaggio parking bay ??
Ape row.jpg (40.12 KiB) Viewed 7051 times

Far too much kit!!
chissit

Postby zix » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:02 pm

You have already been there now, but my wife wants to recommend the small bar at the piazza navona - if it is still there of course, she was there in -94... But the coffee was good.
Have a nice trip, whoever goes there next :)
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby Glenn » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:32 am

How timely

Am headed to Italy in less than 6 hours (need sleep beforehand)

Tuscany/Chianti for a few days (Pisa and Florence as well as Siena andSan Gimigniano), then off to Rome

Second time to all places but will check out the listed cafes.

Ciao!
Glenn

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:13 pm

Crickey Leverage, that itinerary brings back happy memories of many years ago when a very close friend and I took what appears to be an identical route to yours. Have a wonderful time. All the locations are beautiful, but San Gimigniano is very special :P I seem to remember BazBean discussing travelling there on the forum too a while back.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Glenn » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:57 pm

Back from a very eventful trip to Italy and I had sooo many coffees whilst I was there.

Highlights: San Eustachio - their water comes from the adjoining aquaduct and the shots were pre-sweetened. €4.20 for their Grancaffe. The menu mentioned that the drinks can be ordered and prepared without sugar. I am headed back to Rome next February so will have to try Tazza D'Oro.

The selection of coffee and paraphernalia was better than many places I saw in Italy.

Pics will be posted when I am back from India next week... Can anyone recommend an Espresso bar in Delhi for me to try? ;)

We ran out of time to pop in to Tazza D'Oro this time as we spent too much time on coffee bars in other parts of the city. Not 1 bad shot was experienced the whole time we were away. Even the Illy was fresh beans!
Glenn

Return to Places to drink coffee