Trip to Portland and Seattle Story 2nd try

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Trip to Portland and Seattle Story 2nd try

Postby Kiduk » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:37 pm

Hi Everybody

Just wanted to give you guys a little report on my trip to Portland and Seattle. Don't mind my spelling please as i am from Holland living in Berlin.
So on the 14th of febuari i left for Seattle. I stayed there for 5 days and visited many espresso bars. After extensively sampeling all the coffees on offer i must say that the only 3 places worth visiting in Seattle are David Schomers Espresso Vivace, Victrola and not for the coffee its self but for the interrior design Zeit Geist. David Schomer just opend a new location not far away from his other 2 locations. For me the new location interrior wise was not verry exciting but his espresso was the most consistent, very chocolate like. I did not get one bad shot from the dozens of shots i tried there. Also the milk based drinks were the best texture and latte art wise. The Baristas at his shop seemed the most passionate and knowledgeable about serving espresso and espresso based drinks.
He did not offer any presspot coffee or single origine drinks.
Victrola i thought surprisingly lacked a bit when it came to espresso preparation. The shots were ok but not great. The atmosfere was verry nice there though and the presspot coffee on offer there was verry nice even though they served it out of a 'thermocan' (i dont know the exact name for that).
Seattle it self was a bit dissapointing but that could also be because it rained continously.
But now Portland. Portland is definitely a great coffee destination. The city is really nice. I could verry well imagine moving there to live. It is verry European like in a positive sence and the people there have good taste. Good food, nice buildings lots of things to do. There is a big alternative scene. Lots of muscians and artists. also the people are very fashionable. There the main attraction ofcourse was Stumptown Coffee.
Stumptown was all about the single origine coffee and drinking it brewed by the clover. This only was already worth the trip for me. What a luxury all this great coffee at my disposal at the flick of the wrist, me being for sure under exposed to properly roasted high quality beans, extracted perfectly coffee.
I have never drinked coffee brewed by the clover and for me i have never drinked such clean cups of coffee before. It really brings out flavors that nomally would or could me muddeld by my unhandy presspoting. The Ethiopian Misty Valley was ridiciously strawberry flavored like. almost kind of unreal. Two more coffees that stood out for me were the Guatamalan Finca el Injerto (Cup of Excellence winner) and the Panama Esmeralda Special which had so many different things going on in it.
Further more on Stumptown. His shops were also the best designed i have ever been in. Duane Sorenson had also just opened a new location were he collaborated with a hotel. It was so new that it was barely finished. Lucky me! All very tastefully designed, like high class London chique. It must be the nicest coffee place on the planet. Two of the newest model Keest van der Westen Espresso Machines with internal Pid from the la Marzocco GB5 the machines looked like 50s Ford Thunderbird cars design wise. Yummi! Also the shop has 4 Clovers. Everything was very Hip. Hip coffee, Hip People. Hmmm Mabye a bit to much? Hell no!
He must be selling a lot of coffee.
And then he still finds time to make bicycles for Ruwanda.
Anyway nice to be Back home in Berlin. Or not.
Later i will post some Photos.
Kiduk

Postby Slimboyfat » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:44 pm

also the people are very fashionable

that rules me out then :oops:

nice report Kiduk :D

...never knowingly underfed

expobar pulser, quickmill 031, Reg Barber Radical Pro US curve, Koenigbot, aerobie, armour plated welded 1910 hybrid german whirley, several french presses, antique nepolitana, an old stovetop, Zassenhaus that smells of pepper and a hoover attachment colander/cooler thing
Slimboyfat

Postby Beanie » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:48 pm

Fab report :) You're definitely the envy of many here ;) ...and MogoGear will be pleased to hear this too :D Portland sounds fantastic!

Which of the Vivace blends did you prefer? My fave of all the blends I tried while in Seattle a couple years ago was the Vita Blend :) Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to sample Victrola :(

Couldn't agree more about the Clover. Sadly, I missed out on the chance to have my fave, Harrar, or HB beans from the Clover :( I can't remember what it was I did try though... but it was niiiiiiiiiiiice :D

If I'm lucky, I'll be in Vancouver this April and will surely take a side trip down to Seattle as it's only a couple hours drive away. Mo - how long of a drive will Portland be from Seattle?
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby Kiduk » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:04 pm

Which of the Vivace blends did you prefer?

The Vita seemed nicer with the milk based drinks and the Dolce straight up.

If I'm lucky, I'll be in Vancouver this April and will surely take a side trip down to Seattle as it's only a couple hours drive away. Mo - how long of a drive will Portland be from Seattle?[/quote]

Portland is about 3,5 hours drive from Seattle i think. I wouldn't know exactely because i went by train from Seattle to Portland But the distance was not to far. It is a must do. Vancouver sounds nice to. I was reading an article on it in Barista Magazine. I sounded very good.
Kiduk

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:30 pm

Great write-up Kiduk, thank you. Seattle always rains :wink: . Portland does sound great, and the Clover experience must have been outstanding. We look forward to the pictures :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby mogogear » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:11 pm

I have to say - I feel like a proud PAPA. I am so glad you enjoyed both towns... You are lucky that it was raining while in Seattle- if it had been sunny- you might have never left to visit Portland. Seattle exponentially tranforms to such a beautiful city in the sunshine.

We Portlander's share your feelings for Stumptown- I live about 5 blocks from the Stumptown shop and Annex on Belmont Street. I can say I never really cry when I get behind on home-roasting with their Hairbender and Holler Mountain blends to drink.

Please, anyone ever this way- please pm me and we will drink a cup... or a pint--- or a glass -we are a city of beverages we are also know for the most micro-breweries per capita in the US- and a large concentration of Pinot Noir vineyards close .

The Welcome mat is out!!

P.S. Don't fret about the "stylishness" ---We also live with rain- so it is a very , very , laid back style that can include lots of Goretex :wink:
Regards,

MO

Leverwright
http://mogogear.webs.com/
Olympia and others
mogogear

Return to Places to drink coffee