Shock Horror - a great shot outside the house

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby kingseven » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:50 pm

Carluccios are an interesting beast. I met him once and was witness to his assistants crumbling face as his boss deviated from the script to adlib a somewhat racist joke. Ah well...

The coffee isn't theirs, it is a fairly large Italian roasters coffee, just rebranded. (Or at least it was when I last had it).

However they do put a strong emphasis on the coffee, employ people to just be baristas and do train reasonably - though I would suggest ordering a ristretto as their espressos are usually a little bit long.

I like that they serve the coffee with water on a nice tray and it is definitely one of the better high street shots.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:58 pm

No water here unfortunately ...... clearly they are a different prospect in Town.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby monkey66 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:10 am

Regarding the comments about inconsistant food served, I have always been supprised that i have never had bad food (across at least 5 diferent branches in London) at Carluccios, always fresh and not tasting 'out-of-a-packet' like so many other chains. I have always considered it a reliable place to stop.

I wonder if they are now franchising, hense the poor quality food you talk about. I remember when Cafe Rouge was a small (2-3 unit) resturant serving great food, last time i went in there it was a huge franchised chain serving portion controled packet food.
Bezzera BZ99S with CAL PID
Mazzer Super Red
Large toolbox
monkey66

Postby bruceb » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:53 am

The problem with coffee in restaurants is not trivial. As has been noted it doesn't usually fall under the jurisdiction of the cooking chef. Depending on the size and organisation it is up to the owner/manager or bar man just how much effort is going into serving a good cup.

I photographed a new restaurant for their brochure a few years ago and was impressed by the kitchen, dining area, decoration, silver, porcelain, napkins and so on. A great deal of effort had been put into getting things right. Someone mentioned to the owner (of Italian decent) that the WMF coffee robot would probably not produce a drinkable espresso, whereby he raised his eyebrows and said, "If people want to drink coffee they should go to a café!"

If good espresso is not part of the dining culture it won't get made because it is too demanding and costly.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Previous

Return to Places to drink coffee