Winners and losers Dutch coffee test by newspaper AD

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Aadje » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:20 am

Hi and welcome, would like to see those pics too.
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:06 pm

Hi Barend and welcome aboard :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby GeorgeW » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:14 pm

Welcome to the forum Barend.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby Bonensnuiver » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:56 pm

Hi Barend,

Welcome to the forum indeed. Nice of your to share the background info.
Grtz,

Pieter

Izzo Alex MKII
Mazzer mini e
Stovetop pot and
Caffetiere
Bonensnuiver

Postby huub » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:22 pm

kay, as an update for my fellow dutch tmc'ers:
I just had some coffee at the espressofabriek here in amsterdam: and, well, everything is right: their kees v d westen mirage lever machine,
perfect microfoam and latte art, golden coffeebox beans, and of course the location in the lovely westergasfabriek/ westerpark area...
But nevertheless, a simple and pure single espresso was not very good i.m.h.o... quite acid (not rancid mind you, but definitely too sour)
a bit too watery, and the machine just was a bit too low temperature.. It's for dutch standards amazingly lovely coffee, but at home I would have trown away this coffee and made a new one.. The capuccino was very o.k., but it would have been so much better with a stronger espresso, a nuttier one for example..

just wanted to share this..
it's still a gooood thing that places like this are available in holland/amsterdam, it's a very popular place too, so it's all good for te future of coffee, as we all know : good coffee makes people pleasant and lovely, and thus will end war and violence!

peace..
excellent, smithers...

Isomac Itala, waterfilter, some shiny grinder that works pretty well, but has no brand I think.
huub

Postby huub » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:52 pm

And to add, just walked past another place with a kees v d westen mirage lever machine, and had to go in and try of course!
It was a place called de koffiesalon in de utrechtsestraat, close to the rembrandplein..
The barista was all happy I recognized the machine, so I was hoping to experience wonderful espresso...
But no..... The coffee looked nice, lovely darkish crema, but it was pretty bitter, a too hot machine I suppose..
So, 2 very promising coffee places here in amsterdam, but still my own home made espresso is just so much nicer..
I'll still go back to de espresso fabriek though, lovely area and latte art.. just nice to meet up with friends there..
excellent, smithers...

Isomac Itala, waterfilter, some shiny grinder that works pretty well, but has no brand I think.
huub

Postby zapty » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:25 am

Somehow the coffee I roast, grind and prepare at home is always the winner in my opinion, but hey, who am I, just a lover of good coffee whereas the majority of the Dutch are happy to drink a large cup of coloured dishwater and pay a premium for it..
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby Aadje » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:48 pm

At least you're working out ;)
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Previous

Return to Places to drink coffee