Winners and losers Dutch coffee test by newspaper AD

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Winners and losers Dutch coffee test by newspaper AD

Postby Andretti » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:15 pm

Top-3 cappuccino:
1. Grand Café Van Bleiswijk, Enkhuizen
2. Café De Blonde Pater, Nijmegen
3. Coffee United, Groningen

Top-3 coffee
1. De Eenhoorn, Kampen
2. Dende, Leiden
3. Coffee Lovers, Maastricht

The worst cappuccino
1. Kiosk, Lelystad
2. Eethuis ’t Smitje, Wouwse Plantage
3. Stadsherberg Bellevue, Leeuwarden

The worst coffee
1. Kiosk, Lelystad
2. Eethuis ’t Smitje, Wouwse Plantage
3. O’Brien’s, Den Haag
Now: Fiorenzato Bricoletta plumbed in with rotary, Mazzer Mini M, Cappuccinolover: Barbera Classica with goat milk! Before: Fiorenzato Bricoletta tank,La Pavoni Espresso Lusso, Gaggia MDF
Andretti

Postby Beanie » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:42 pm

Thanks for that Andretti :) Top 2 cappuccino spots were the cafés' of at least 2 Dutch Barista Champions, weren't they? At least the person who competed at the Berne WBC was from De Blonde Pater although she was 2nd place in DBC because 1st place (from Coffee Co backed down (she was present at Seattle DBC as spectator). Only place in the list I've been to is De Blonde Pater - nice KvdW machine, really fab food, and a cozy atmosphere at night :) Personally, from my visits over a year ago, I found the capps too hot for my liking (as in >70c ranging up to 85C :shock:) the 3 or 4 times I went and had 2 drinks each visit. The owner wasn't there at the time, neither was the DBC competitor :( Sounds like they've cooled down on milk steaming since :D

I'd love to get coffee from De Eenhoorn one day... the bean offerings look the same as HB, so no wonder they're #1 ;) Maybe we should organize a TMC cupping day there? ...they do cupping tours, I believe ;)

I keep meaning to go to Coffee Lovers... but haven't yet... must do that this quarter :) It's barely an hour away from me after all :roll:
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby Andretti » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:10 pm

Michel Buis is the barista (one of them) in Enkhuizen.

3 times Dutch champ I think...

Too bad for De Blonde Pater... They obviously had a bad day

Their cappucino was found too cold at 56C..

So actually more your taste, Marcy....

I once met the owners and staff in Amsterdam at a Barista Party.

Nice folks!
Now: Fiorenzato Bricoletta plumbed in with rotary, Mazzer Mini M, Cappuccinolover: Barbera Classica with goat milk! Before: Fiorenzato Bricoletta tank,La Pavoni Espresso Lusso, Gaggia MDF
Andretti

Postby Aadje » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:06 pm

Never heard of this Barend Boot, the guy who tested all the coffee (only 60 stored btw)
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby Andretti » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:12 pm

Aadje wrote:Never heard of this Barend Boot, the guy who tested all the coffee (only 60 stored btw)

www.goldencoffeebox.nl
Andretti

Postby Aadje » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:16 pm

ah thanks, but still, 60 shops isnt that much, that's 10% max of the total coffeeshops in Holland . . .
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby Andretti » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:33 pm

Aadje wrote:ah thanks, but still, 60 shops isnt that much, that's 10% max of the total coffeeshops in Holland . . .

Like I said, the chosen shops in The Hague? Why were those chosen and not others?

Looks like random chosing

Still, the losers would rather not have been chosen.. They are not happy, looking at their comments...

"Nobody ever complains..." "We never get coffee back..."

Customers do need to stand up for themselves more!
Andretti

Postby Beanie » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:51 pm

Damnit :P I posted most of my comments in the other thread about Perfect Capps :roll: Anyway, looks like I really must visit DBP again if they've lowered temps :P :lol: I agree, Mario A... owner of DBP is a swell guy :) I met him the 1st time in Seattle :)

Mario... those comments are the same old same old from the low scorers from previous years :roll: ....surprise surprise :roll:
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby jumper » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:56 pm

whee i supply Van Bleiswijk:)

sure made the people at work happy for a few days.
first time any of our clients were ever tested.

de eenhoorn is really good i was there earlier today to fix their awsome mistral, they really serve good coffee and the staff is verry well trained, as a side note i was suppposed to be fixing their machine(i showed the next day) when they got tested so they had to serve the coffee from a jura fullautomatic machine, wich means they would have had a good chance of ending first had the mistral worked.

nice people there and make me a cupping date maybe i can try and get a discount:P
moccatronic eleganza 2gr
ecm botticelli 2
mazzer mini
fiorenzato t80
jumper

Postby huub » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:57 pm

close to my home there is a new place "de espressofabriek" http://www.espressofabriek.nl .. they have a KvdW machine and all.. I will try it out when I'm done experimenting with my new machine. (I'm already having so many espressos everyday, I really dont feel like having more outside of my house :).. )
excellent, smithers...

Isomac Itala, waterfilter, some shiny grinder that works pretty well, but has no brand I think.
huub

Postby zapty » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:21 am

Was over at Blanche Daels Coffeelover's earlier this week and had their Coffeelover's Cappucino (a double). Good as usual...
Although since their regular barista has gone away it is a little less pleasing to the eye.
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby Barend » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:14 am

Hi cappuccino- and coffeelovers of too much coffee,
I am ashamed of not introducing myself to you before as a member. But I am working in coffee roastery The Golden Coffee Box in the Netherlands and happy being able to read your sometimes wonderful discussions.
I am especially interested in single estate beans and ways of serving the best coffees.

Once a year I am asked by dutch newspaper AD to test coffees in restaurants which are opened all day. I am not allowed to test restaurants with coffees of The Golden Coffee Box or in our own coffeehouse.
If you want to read the whole coffeetest of 2006 (I am sorry, it is in dutch) you can read it on the internet using the following link: http://www.ad.nl/koffietest/article747621.ece
I worked as the cupper for the newspaper AD. The AD made a good article with a lot of attention to ways of making better cappuccino. Through this link you can also see the test-rating of the particular day that the cafes were visited. The cafes were chosen by the newspaper or advised to the AD by readers in the months before.
I must say: It is a shame that out of 60 cafes only 4 were able to serve a ‘drinkable' cappuccino. Good things of the article were: Showing the coffeepleasure of the winning Café van Bleiswijk, the advise to leave the use of long life milk and use only fresh milk, and leave the use of cacao on the cappuccino or other ingredients.
This test is applauded and criticised. The test is very serious documented with temperature and pictures. The visited restaurants have the possibility to write a reaction in the newspaper. The newspaper underlines that the test has results from one moment.

If you would like to see pictures of cappuccinos that I hated during the test, I can give in a next comment the link to that page.
Barend

Postby bruceb » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:01 am

I hope you will share more of your experience with us! Nice to have you on board.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby dingelj » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:06 am

Hi Barend,

Thanks for providing some background info which we appreciate all. And yes, we would like to see those pictures of cappuchinos you hated during the test!

John
dingelj

Postby zapty » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:14 am

Welcome Barend, as a long time subscriber to a certain newspaper I have been following the koffietests with much interest. You and your family have quite some experience in the coffee world. I enjoy reading your brother's articles to. Keep up the good (and unpartial) work.
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Next

Return to Places to drink coffee