Clover in Glasgow?

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Beyond_Coffee » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:03 pm

Steve is a ever correct - without CE approval they cant be used in a commercial environment. There are I am reliably informed cafes in Vancouver that have had such a good return on their original clover that they are buying a second one. My understanding is that you need to charge in the region of $4 to $5 US to make sense of it. In terms of the customers getting it the Clover people tell me that you must install front of counter - offer a range of premium single origin beans and educate the customer. Met with Stumptown people earlier in the year and they are fans. Some people feel that the clover is not worth it but you have to consider the cost of the design and small manufacturing run. Not a huge amount has happened in filter brewing the last few years so I applaud their work!
Beyond_Coffee

Postby Gouezeri » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:24 pm

Interesting comments Gary.

So, would people around here be willing to pay 2-3 quid for a cup? I'm pretty sure I would, if the beans were up to scratch. Definitely preferable against something covered in syrup or burnt and over-extracted. And if Steve can work it :wink:

I think I may be in one of my wacky moods today, but whilst we're on the subject of alternative brew processes, I wonder whether anybody has considered swapping swiss golds or FPs for aeropresses, Steve? There's a risk that people might get it wrong and either press to soon or too late, but I can also imagine people enjoying the little ceremony, and actually taking an interest in brew length. I much prefer an aeropress to the more common FP. Any of our bar owners care to comment?

Maybe the clover will shift the focus in the right direction and people will start taking bean freshness seriously. Might sound perverse, but has anybody tried running months old beans through it to see what it can do? As a result it would seem as though anybody looking to use one had better sort out a good source of beans. I must say, I applaud the idea of a "return to origin," people actually drinking coffee for the bean and not some seasonal egg nog and cinnamon latte frappe sugarfest!

It is nice to see people really trying to innovate. Who knows, a couple of years from now the Daily Mail might be referring to us as connoisseurs and not geeks!
D
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby scook94 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:26 pm

gouezeri wrote:Interesting comments Gary.

So, would people around here be willing to pay 2-3 quid for a cup?

Yup, easily. A large latte with extra shot from Tinderbox is in that price range anyway...
Izzo Vivi | Mazzer SJ Doserless | Gene Cafe
scook94

Postby Steve » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:22 pm

I thin people will get it in the right locations. And Spot on Snook if we will pay 2-3 for a milk drink there shouldbenothing to stop us paying that for a coffee flavoured drink. They truley are good.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby BazBean » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:49 pm

I wonder whether anybody has considered swapping swiss golds or FPs for aeropresses,

short answer is Yes Dom ...But !.... :?

the main argument against that is in the shop enviroment its just not practical for a number of reasons. main one being the "average customers" would make an absolute mess most of the time. for the coffee lover and fanatics like us guys Yep an absolute winner we would all love it and the whole ritual etc etc, but Dom you would not believe the carnage left by serving at the moment by just 30 odd S/O press pots a day, honestly grounds everywhere (mutter mutter). it would give me nightmares thinking of some of my customers using a Aero ! :cry:

Yes again selling lots of coffee is a fantastic problems to have and this is not meant or aimed at anyone especially you Dom,and not dirrectly to post content but more of a commercial persons view in general here, but there is a massive difference between what would be wonderfull to do and is achieveable in the domestic or even quiter shop selling 20 drinks n hour compared to what is actaully possible to achieve in a busier enviroment.

anyhow Sorry ,whinge over...good news ......my new Spaz S5 will be here shortly... wahooo
:D :D

Barry
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby lukas » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:46 pm

Operating the clover is easier than operating an espresso machine me thinks. If you have a good grinder besides it, that is. Dose, grind, press button, stir, serve, clean. It's done in a minute and a half.

The thought of old beans in the clover is interesting. I had some pretty awful results with the aeropress, whereas the same old beans in the vacpot tasted just fine (if a bit old, but not too stale). I certainly would like to know how they come out in the Clover ... Steve, do you get your's before April? :) :) :) :)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby Steve » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:54 pm

not sure lukas, I'm on the list but no comitment. I hope to have one but we will see.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Gouezeri » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:11 pm

Barry,
Great to hear from you, and it is always interesting to hear a commercial perspective as it rarely compares with what we are all used to and go through at home, yet there is nothing we would like more than to find decent coffee bars to frequent and share in their success. I can fully understand your perspective, and I had suspected as much, but was interested to hear if anyone had at least tried. The problem with FP/Aeropress et al. must sure be washing up, as it just adds to the workload. However, in my experience the Aeropress is actually a very neat/clean brewing method, which is one of the main reasons I use it when camping etc. instead of a FP, Mocha, SG. Maybe it's just your customers :wink: 30 press pots a day isn't bad though and shows that there is a potential market for quality SO, and that, investment aside, the Clover could have a potential market here. As for the 2-3 quid cost per cup, the problem there is people actually think they are getting something more special, even better when they order their cup of slop with sprinkles, so charging the same price for an "ordinary" cup of coffee is going to require some education/information... or would it? Maybe the result would sell itself and people would notice the difference in the cup, at least it would be nice to think so!

S5 Eh, so where did you find one of those secondhand on Ebay???? :wink: Can't even begin to imagine you'd consider buying something new that didn't require some kind of renovation and come with a past criminal record of coffee abuse. How the times have changed for the coffee mogul of Scarborough :lol:
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby scook94 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:28 pm

When my good lady and I went on a dirty weekend to Harrogate last year we stopped in at Betty's tearoom for lunch. I had a couple of cups of coffee which were served in a standard "3-cup" FP. I had a Sumatra Mandheling and a COE that I don't recall. It was damn fine coffee (as the saying goes) but it cost over 4 quid per FP. So £2-£3 for Clover coffee must be a bargain!
Izzo Vivi | Mazzer SJ Doserless | Gene Cafe
scook94

Postby EspressoSquirrel » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:30 pm

its long been known in marketing that consumers make much of there purchasing decision on price, not necessarily the lowest, i cant quote the product, but a major brand of washing powder was selling very badly despite being priced the same as everything else, when they increased the price, sales rocketed

i think people see coffee boards behind the counter and often make there decision based on how much they feel like spending

anyone that orders a venti, extra hot, latte with vanilla syrup, whipped cream and an extra shot, (yes i used to know somebody that did) is just as likely to buy anything of the same price almost.

i don't know if i would pay 3.50 for a mug of coffee everyday, but i would love to try coffees this way. I doubt my nearest coffee shop, Flat white, could fit one in though. :(
silvia and rocky
EspressoSquirrel

Postby leecb » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:34 pm

I doubt my nearest coffee shop, Flat white, could fit one in though.

Don't complain, at least you are close to somewhere that makes a good, nay,a fantastic cup of coffee :D
This week I are mainly ready to get back to making muffins!"

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Postby EspressoSquirrel » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:39 pm

hehe i never complain about that :-)

its the thing that makes working in soho bearable
silvia and rocky
EspressoSquirrel

Postby lukas » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:44 pm

In Münster is a Cafe that serves only french press'ed and Espresso, they have about 10 different coffees, mostly single origins, at prices from 3€ to 4,5€ per 2-cup-bodum. It's THE in-cafe in Münster, with IN as in "the moneyed crowd" rather than the wannabes. If they had a clover and even better coffee ... ah must stop think that.
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby BazBean » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:50 pm

Dom, LOL....... my reputaion preceeds me i feel... thanks for the reality check there... good to remeber your roots i guess

Betty is a grand experience but i usualy have Tea after i got a terrible Espresso replaced by another terrbile espresso...
wish i had tried the COE now Scook as it might have just been an off day on the coffee, that said i allways go just for the abmience anyhow.

On the cost/value/percieved value idea . I Can see the merit in the notion.I think the hardest selling job is to the owners first rather than the customers. it scares the bejesus outa me to think of charging those kind of prices to be honest.
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:19 am

Do't forget to post some pics of the S5 once she is in situ Baz .... all very exciting :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

PreviousNext

Return to Places to drink coffee