Stockholm - Visby

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Stockholm - Visby

Postby Raf » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:18 am

Work will take me to Stockholm and Visby (Gotland) next week: where shall I drink espresso? And where to eat and/or stay over?
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby robpow » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:30 pm

Hi,

I found a couple of nice places worth checking out in Stockholm:

John Chris
Drottninggatan 29
Modern, trendy

Vetekatten
Kungsgatan 55
Traditional

Robert's Coffee
Kungsgatan 44
Modern

Sosta Espresso Bar
Sveavägen 84
Jakobsbergsgatan 5-7
Götgatan 30
Modern

Sorry, don't know Visby at all so can't help you there but Swedes are the second biggest consumers of coffee in the world so you can't go far wrong in most places, apart from in 7Eleven and the like of course...

Good luck!

Matt
robpow

Postby Teme » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:48 pm

I have found Robert's and John Chris (they have a few locations don't they?) both pretty poor.

I like the attitude at Sosta, but their blend is not too good in my opinion.

I haven't visited Vetekatten.

Other places that may be worth checking out in Stockholm are:

Alfons Coffeeshop on Birger Jarlsgatan 70
Mojo in the corner of Drottninggatan / Adolf Fredriks Kyrkogata
Non Solo Bar on Odengatan 34 (I haven't checked them out yet myself)
Espresso House (White Room) on Regeringsgatan 59-61 (they are a chain but this particular shop has been ok at times)
Zanzibar on Norrmalmstorg (I haven't checked them out yet myself)

Br,
Teme
Teme

Postby zix » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:29 pm

There are several Sosta places. I think they have three coffee bars, yes? On Jakobsbergsgatan, Götgatan, and Sveavägen. Do they still have the de Roccis blend? I liked it, but it was "Sosta" himself who did it for me then. Have a look at their website for more information: http://www.sostabar.com/
I liked Sosta the best, but Zanzibar is another place that is being talked up lately. On Norrmalmstorg (not far from NK, and in the same building as Pressbyrån).

Other places to visit might be Upper Queen Street on Drottninggatan - only three blocks away from Sostas on Sveavägen, Frankfurt on Pipersgatan, and Himalaja inside "Söderhallarna" on Medborgarplatsen. Never been inside these, just forwarding tips from a swedish coffee forum.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:34 pm

Welcome to the forum Matt :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby bruceb » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:56 am

Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Davec » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:08 am

Welcome to TMC???

But you guys are so lucky living on the land mass of Europe, all these great countries you can drive too and coffee places you can enjoy!
Davec

Postby Raf » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:43 am

well, I'll have to fly to Sweden (bah!) and to Visby, as it's in the middle of the Baltic sea, Dave, so you can take the "driving" with a bean of salt :)

Any hotels and restaurants in Stockholm particularly worth the visit? I heard something about an "ice bar"??
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby Teme » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:15 pm

Raf wrote:Any hotels and restaurants in Stockholm particularly worth the visit? I heard something about an "ice bar"??

Yes, the icebar is on Vasaplan in the Nordic sea hotel, right next to the Arlanda Express (the train I assume you'll be taking from the airport) station.

The Grand is a nice hotel if you don't mind the price.

Lot's of nice restaurants. Don't know what you like and how much you are willing to spend ;)

Br,
Teme
Teme

Postby Raf » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:16 pm

I'm willing to spend a fair deal, actually! I like gastronomical restaurants and "typical" things alike, provided they are well prepared, fresh and with obvious love for the product.

Raf
Founder Member

Postby Cutepape » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:18 pm

Raf:

As a Swede I have one place to recommend in STHLM.. I used to go there on the weekends and drink coffe and relax with a news paper.

It's called "Chokladkoppen" (chocolate cup in english)

http://www.chokladkoppen.com/

you should really go for a coffee and a "VALRONABOLL"... you can't go wrong with that! Atmospher is one of the best ever.

A map to the place

http://www.stockholmtown.com/templates/ ... 422&type=1
Izzo Alex - rotary monster in my Kitchen
Mazzer SJ - Alex monster buddy
Cutepape

Postby Teme » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:05 pm

Raf wrote:I'm willing to spend a fair deal, actually! I like gastronomical restaurants and "typical" things alike, provided they are well prepared, fresh and with obvious love for the product.

Erik's is supposedly the best fish restaurant in town (and it's fish only). If you wil be staying at the Grand, you could check if their french dining room is still open. They are planning on closing it, but it at least used to be one of the best if not the best in town...

Br,
Teme
Teme

Postby Raf » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:07 pm

well, hurray for my work: they dumped me in a hotel in arlanda (hotellby arlanda, if you know it)! till how late does the arlanda express run, please? And are taxis expensive? :(

Raf
Founder Member

Postby Teme » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:40 pm

Raf wrote:well, hurray for my work: they dumped me in a hotel in arlanda (hotellby arlanda, if you know it)! till how late does the arlanda express run, please? And are taxis expensive? :(

Taxi is more expensive, and although they may have a fixed price from Arlanda to the city (not sure, I always use the train because it is so much faster), I don't think it applies the other way around.

The last train leaves at around midnight if I remember correctly. You can check the timetables at http://www.arlandaexpress.com.

By the way, Erik's - the restaurant I mentioned has two spots. You would probably want to try the Erik's Backfickan instead of the other one.

Br,
Teme
Teme

Postby Cutepape » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:30 pm

Arlanda Express is way better than a Taxi.. Done the trip several times and the Taxi usually takes a lot longer than AE. cheaper with the AE too.
Izzo Alex - rotary monster in my Kitchen
Mazzer SJ - Alex monster buddy
Cutepape

Return to Places to drink coffee