Brigg, Whitstable, Canterbury and Christchurch

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Brigg, Whitstable, Canterbury and Christchurch

Postby Arum » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:08 am

Hi
Many thanks to Phil for allowing me into the forum - I live in New Zealand now but come back to the UK frequently to visit family, and it's been quite a challenge to find a decent espresso during our travels, being out of touch with the local scene. I came across this forum for the first time last week and thought if anyone was going to be able to put us right, this would be the group to do it. And we'd hope to be able to reciprocate with what we find on our travels

We're back again in October and would love to hear from anyone who knows where to get a good cup in Brigg, Whitstable, Canterbury or Christchurch. All advice gratefully received!

Arum :)
Arum

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:00 pm

Hi Arum and welcome to TMC - our second NZ resident - Fiend (Rhys) being the other :D

I don't know about Christchurch, but if you head along the main road out of Christchurch toward Poole, there is a Sainsbury's on one of the roundbouts (hard to miss) and it serves very good espresso based drinks from a fantastic Elektra that looks totally out of place in the in-store cafe! Seriously, the coffee is as good as a very good coffee shop. All rather surreal but nevertheless true :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby phil » Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:54 pm

Brigg of all places? Yeesh - my missus went to school there, and I used to change bus there on my way from Scunny to visit my gran in South Kelsey. A very long time ago. :oops:

Last time I went anywhere near Brigg was a couple of weeks ago, as I raced across country from Scunny to near Louth to visit John Carroll ("johnca"). I notice they've built an "inner ring road" or some such to avoid the centre. Haven't been in the centre of Brigg for donkeys' years.

Frankly the idea of decent coffee in a small North Lincolnshire market town, famous mainly for its fair and infamous for its sugar factory, is weird. I have absolutely no idea.

Which, as the man hovering in a helicopter outside Microsoft Support on a foggy day found out to his cost when he asked for directions, is completely true and absolutely no bl***y use whatsoever. :oops:
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby GeorgeW » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:54 pm

Welcome to the forum Arum.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby Arum » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:52 am

Thanks, All. My outlaws always enjoy a trip to Poole, so the Sainsbury option sounds an intriguing one to try. As for Brigg- well, miracles do sometimes happen and they did have a very good deli when we were there last October, so perhaps civilisation is creeping closer :) :) :)
Arum

Postby Beanie » Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:00 am

Welcome to TMC Arum :D
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:12 pm

Arum wrote:Thanks, All. My outlaws always enjoy a trip to Poole, so the Sainsbury option sounds an intriguing one to try.

The thing that always worries me slightly is barista to barista consistency. If you try it, I just hope that all the staff there know how to make the most of the Elektra.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Sahra » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:46 pm

Hi I'm fairly new to this site, well this is my first post to be honest with you guys.

I've just been viewing a lot of the discussions and couldn't help, but suggest a place to get good cuppa in Poole which is near to Christchurch. BB's coffee and muffins.

Its very much like the usual annoying starbucks and costa's of the world, however I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of coffee.

I personally had a Latte which was dare I say really nice.
Sahra

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:15 pm

Hi Sahra and welcome to TMC :D . Have you tried the Costa in Poole? I know, shock horror, but it really is the best "big-boy" coffee house I know of. Actually, they prove that with a little care it is possible to get a decent (not great :wink: ) shot from their blend, which in this case is noticibly not stale tasting like many of their peers including other Costas. Better rotation, more volume perhaps? :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby bruceb » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:20 pm

Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby GeorgeW » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:21 pm

Welcome to TMC Sahra.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby Arum » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:17 am

I couldn't agree more about the impact of the individual barista and the Poole BBs may be a case in point. We tried it with great expectation when we were visiting last October, as it is a well established NZ franchise and normally (though not always) serves a very good brew.
However, the long black that we ordered came out more like an americano - am I right in thinking that the term long black (normally a double shot with a little extra water, or hot water on the side) isn't really established in the UK?
Arum

Postby leecb » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:23 am

Welcome Arum,
Another kiwi, cool
8)
Pretty much everything here is called a different name in Auz and NZ, they don't really subscribe to the flat white or long black, mores the pity!
Apart from a few outstanding coffee shops, you need to stick to the basics!
If you want a long black be very specific, a double with a extra shot of boiling water maybe. If you want a flat white, I usually ask for a double shot latte in a cappa cup, but it's not easy :lol:
Leigh
This week I are mainly ready to get back to making muffins!"

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Return to Places to drink coffee