Krispy Kreme !

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Krispy Kreme !

Postby phil2spill » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:19 pm

For anyone who hasn't come across them, it's a relentlessly 1950s style doughnut emporioum with branches mainly in London and one in Brum I think. The USP is making doughnuts on site Willy-Wonker style behind a glass wall. Now normally I wouldn't even think of going somewhere like that, but someone brought a tray of their doughnuts in to college once and they were pretty darn good.

On visiting, it turned out they roast their own beans on site which was a suprise and as you know very unusual, in the UK at least. They had a 3-group rancilio and tamped the PFs (also quite unusual in the UK) and the pour times were reasonable. Although I didn't have a sense of smell at the time, the milk drinks were rich and free from bitterness. It might vary between branches but at the one i went to at least (near New Malden) the attention to detail was impressive.

So if you happen find yourself near one, I'd tentatively say it's worth a try, especially if you are partial to the odd doughnut or eight :P (Though NOT on a weekend, unless that is you enjoy the company of 200 pre-teens high on sugar :wink: ) Happy dunking . . .

http://www.krispykreme.co.uk/Espresso-Drinks

Phil
Ground suitable for all coffee makers
phil2spill

Postby KateM » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:05 am

It's an American company (I don't mean that in a bad way) started in 1937, Krispy Kreme are well know in the US various UK outlets one recently opened in Oxford although I haven't been there . The doughnuts are good in the States but not so great in blighty (though I probably wouldn't pass one by if offered). I wouldn't rate the coffee at all though.
Gaggia TD, Rocky, Hottop; misc. Bodum FPs , old ''Cona Standard'' and well worn JonathanM
KateM

Postby Paul L » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:23 am

One of the newspapers gave away the 'Supersize Me' film on DVD a few weeks back. It was perfect catalyst for some food education with my daughter (7 very shortly). As well as watching the film, we played games like guessing how much sugar there is in a can of Coke with props. A cup, a bag of sugar and a spoon. When out and about we would look at any food outlet and play "what ingredients are there behind that glamourous looking image?" You can see where this is headed.

Krispy Kreme was dissected as fat, sugar and flour and it gave new meaning looking at the rows and rows of doughnuts. I don't think I'll ever be able to walk past KK again without a little voice in my head saying "fat doughnuts for fat people".

This wasn't a KK only thing of course.
Millie's Cookies which always smells good got the treatment and became 'fat cookies'
Starbucks became 'the milk-slop shop'.

There's a bit of a game in here for anyone else who wants to play.

(I'm partial to a bit of junk and won't pretend to be a Saint, I decided I wanted my daughter not to be blinded by the marketing)
Paul L

Postby bruceb » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:40 am

I have long been of the conviction that KK doughnuts are so good that they would be placed on the list of illegal drugs. I just weighed myself after sitting in a wheelchair for a few months and all I can say is that it is good there isn't a KK anywhere near. :oops: :cry: :lol:

Don't have any recollection of their coffee at all, unfortunately. :roll:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby KateM » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:18 pm

bruceb wrote:Don't have any recollection of their coffee at all, unfortunately. :roll:

Probably a good thing!
Gaggia TD, Rocky, Hottop; misc. Bodum FPs , old ''Cona Standard'' and well worn JonathanM
KateM

Postby leecb » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:53 pm

bruceb said:
I have long been of the conviction that KK doughnuts are so good that they would be placed on the list of illegal drugs.

ROTFLMAO -I can only agree with you there Bruce :lol:
This week I are mainly ready to get back to making muffins!"

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Postby mhuk » Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:15 pm

mmmm.... donuts :)

On a side note, there's a coffe shop in Worcester that roast there own beans (it's where I bought some green last week- beans that is). I'll try an espresso there soon and post (hopefully) in the "places to drink" section.

If peeing in your pants is cool, consider me Miles Davis

Bezzera BZ99s * Mazzer SJ * Hottop
mhuk

Postby kingseven » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:41 pm

They roast instore?!
This is near New Malden? I thought they were buying it in. I must go see...
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby phil2spill » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:14 pm

kingseven wrote:They roast instore?!

Yes that's what the bumpf said anyway Jim. I thought of asking to see their roaster setup, but the staff were pretty busy. I'd better add that it was a year ago now since I last went. Just off the A3 headed away from town.

Not sure I'd make a special journey though. I really saw it as a better alternative to other chains when in search of a coffee on the hoof rather than top-tier. (I've taken enough of a beating here already without naffing-off the UK barista champ aswell :wink: .)

New Malden: the spiritual home of fine coffee . . . Nah. :D
Ground suitable for all coffee makers
phil2spill

Postby Paul L » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:25 am

I know the roundabout well and use it mostly it for the Esso garage with their current 'On The Run' branding. It's my usual stop for Cravendale milk since supermarkets are less reliable in stocking the 2L cartons.
Paul L

Postby gelandenwagen » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:22 pm

How interesting. I've just gravitated to Cravendale milk; this is what my neighbours been bringing round for the milk drinks in our quest for better tasting coffee. I don't really believe there's that much of a taste improvement but it is slightly different. As for coffee at KK. It's OK if you fill it with milk and have a mouth full of sugar from the doughnuts. Now KK products certainly do have mouthfeel, and for quite some time afterwards as well.
gelandenwagen

Postby Beyond_Coffee » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:41 am

I understand that Drury roast for KK in the UK - in the US they own thier own roastery ( I believe) which is unusual for an operator of their type. A guy called Robert Henry does their coffee training - looks like the results are paying off. Would be interested to know if the instore roaster exists. Their original glazed donuts when just out of the oven are to die for but ooh so fattening.
Beyond_Coffee

Postby kingseven » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:49 am

Ah - I think I had heard it was Drury's but couldn't remember! Didn't realise Robert was doing their training either...
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby tisri » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:53 am

kingseven wrote:They roast instore?!

They're just off Shannon Corner roundabout, I think it's where the old Duke of Cambridge pub used to be.

I haven't tried their coffee (I love the doughnuts but really, really don't need to gain any more weight) and to be perfectly honest am unlikely to visit a doughnut shop just to try their coffee.

Still, it sounds like there are a few TMC members nearby so I'd be up for a meeting there one evening if anyone's interested?
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Postby hairy.bob » Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:12 pm

I stopped in there this morning on the way to J&S to pick up some chain-lube and bits for the bike. Ididn't see any sign of on-site roasting I am afraid but the latte I had was acceptable, reasonable micro-foam and a reasonable attempt at a bit of latte art. I got the impression that that the guy making the coffee was being trained - which is not a bad thing, at least he was being trained and not just being expected to get on with it.

The coffee was OK although not quite as smooth as I normally like - on reflection though, this could have been the delightful contrast it presented to the warm, just off the belt 'glazed original' (it was sooo good I had to go and buy another there and then). The whole service experience was actually quite good and, at 9.30 on a Saturday morning, the place was quite empty. The do'nut line was fun to watch and I would like to find out how they get the jam in the middle - by hand or machine.
I'd recommend the place for a weekend breakfast/snack for all those that do not/cannot lie-in on a Saturday.
HB
La Pavoni Professional
Generic Glass FP
Moka Pot
Mazzer Mini E
hairy.bob

Return to Places to drink coffee