Comparison of chain stores blends

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby nickr » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:57 pm

Your right, coffee is becoming a fashion accessory. I hate the way people hold their ridiculously large cups of cappa in front of them and barge their way through London stations. They may think that they look cool; little do they know that they are actually misguided victims.

And is it just me but are the customers of S$ /Costa/Nero unbearable smug? Wouldn’t it be nice to park a van equipped with a decent machine, grinder fresh beans etc (and obviously a good Barista) outside one of these establishments and offer people the “real thing”

I work within a short distant of a Starbucks, Nero’s and Café Republic but even when I’m desperate, I can no longer face these places.
Just call me Eeyore
nickr

Postby phil2spill » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:25 pm

nickr wrote:Your right, coffee is becoming a fashion accessory. I hate the way people hold their ridiculously large cups of cappa in front of them and barge their way through London stations. They may think that they look cool; little do they know that they are actually misguided victims.

Absolutely. I remember seeing a girl who worked at the same co as me buy a large coffee at the railway station one morning. She then carried it untouched on the 20-min train journey followed by another 20-min walk to work in the freezing cold. Enjoyment of the drink was obviously of no significance to her; she just wanted to be seen walking into the office carrying an American style take-out coffee wrapped in a napkin. This lifestyle image thing is the only reason why *$$$ are a worldwide success IMO.

And for those who don't want to buy-in to the American Dream, I think Bruce has hit the nail on the head; they just don't care. I think we are doomed to plough a lonely furrow . . . :wink:
Last edited by phil2spill on Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ground suitable for all coffee makers
phil2spill

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:32 pm

Did she ever consume it to your knowledge Phil, cold or otherwise?
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby phil2spill » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:41 pm

I don't know Cakes, she might have reheated it in the microwave I s'pose but it can't have been worth drinking by then!
Ground suitable for all coffee makers
phil2spill

Postby motoman » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:01 pm

We only drink good coffee because we have worked hard to make it so, most of my friends are happy to drink it when they visit but would never dream of investing the money we chuck at it. Point out to them that after all our purchases and hard work the average cost of top class coffee to us is a fraction of what they pay and another excuse, usually based on lifestyle, will surface.

The odd convert, maybe one in a hundred, will see the light but overall it is a waste of time so I just enjoy my own lifestyle and feel superior.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby GeorgeW » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:57 pm

I wish you would tell my wife that.
I've just told her of Dave's new roaster and the cost involved.....just to test the water you understand...and the reply was not encouraging. Jeeeeze. :cry:
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:43 pm

Well maybe she will go for the best of two evils and think a Gene inexpensive by comparison George? :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby leecb » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:59 pm

Nickr wrote:
Your right, coffee is becoming a fashion accessory. I hate the way people hold their ridiculously large cups of cappa in front of them and barge their way through London stations. They may think that they look cool; little do they know that they are actually misguided victims.

Not only that when you are on the train they are a complete pest!
I bought my husband a very expensive suit last week for his new job and the second day he wore it on the tube, some w**ker spilt most of one of those buckets of swill over him when the train braked. To say I was peeved would be an understatement!! :evil:
This week I are mainly ready to get back to making muffins!"

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Postby GeorgeW » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:35 am

leecb wrote:Nickr wrote:

Not only that when you are on the train they are a complete pest!
I bought my husband a very expensive suit last week for his new job and the second day he wore it on the tube, some w**ker spilt most of one of those buckets of swill over him when the train braked. To say I was peeved would be an understatement!! :evil:

You think that's bad.......just last week...I made one little comment and a Costa employee peed all over my Oxfam chinos.:shock: :shock:

At least I hope it was pee.
:roll:
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Previous

Return to Places to drink coffee