Birmingham?

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby AndyM » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:27 am

I've just come back from 'The Coffee Roaster' in Shirley. A nice guy called Martin runs the place. Made me an espresso and advised me to get the standard 'Torticelli' (I think) blend. This at least gives a good benchmark to start with. He's very insistant upon advising storage in a freezer, though later agreeing that this is more for long term 1 week + storage. He's got a Probat in the shop and said that in the afternoons he'll make a custom blended roast for you.

£1.65 per 100g. Also clearly not in the same league as Steve in terms of coffee sourcing, but I definately will be going back. Support your local roaster!! :)
AndyM

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:36 am

Oooeeeerrr, I sense the 'freezer debate' could be returning to a forum near us :wink:

He sounds like a nice guy Andy, though his prices appear a tad steep.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby AndyM » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:44 am

..but still about 1/2 the price of whitards! Steep certainly, and it will not surpass HB, but I'll definately give some money to someone trying to make a living out of promoting good fresh coffee.
AndyM

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:47 am

Ah Whittards .... bless them :wink: . Yes indeed, it's lovely that he will custom roast in the afternoons. A lovely touch.

Edit: Typo
Last edited by CakeBoy on Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Gouezeri » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:09 am

Whilst I do tend to get my beans from the usual sources, I think trying to support local artisan roasters is a great idea! If the demand is there, who knows what he may be prepared to stock. In the current climate of freeze-dried and "stale" by date pre-ground, being able to pick up a couple of hundred grams fresh and locally is something to be applauded!
Thanks for the recommendation, hopefully it'll benefit others too.
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby bruceb » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:55 am

There is really no need for a freezer debate. Just get some freshly roasted beans, use some, freeze some and keep some at room temperature. Drink them and compare as time goes by. Debates of these kinds are for people who are too lazy to do the experiments...or just like to argue and be right...or wrong...or whatever.

Mr. Cake, Sir, you are getting a bit bulgy. Nothing personal you understand, but perhaps you could try using artificial sweetener rather than sugar in your coffee. :P

I know, I know, I'm supposed to be smearing gray mortar into the cracks between the wall stones. I'll get my trowel... :oops:
bruceb

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:03 pm

Now look here you with the trowel in hand, I'll have you know the photograph to which you refer was taken last night by my blue square shaped friend catching me unawares ...... there was no time to suck in my big purple tummy :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby AndyM » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:44 pm

Gouezeri wrote:In the current climate of freeze-dried and "stale" by date pre-ground, being able to pick up a couple of hundred grams fresh and locally is something to be applauded!

Exactly. When it is only 5mins away you have to show some sort of support.

And cakey - my tummy would put yours to shame. Been at home now for a couple of months eating cake :)
AndyM

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:14 pm

Glad to hear it! :wink: . The smell of a roastery is always wonderful ... and 5 mins is really handy :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby easylife » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:36 pm

AndyM wrote:I've just come back from 'The Coffee Roaster' in Shirley. A nice guy called Martin runs the place. Made me an espresso and advised me to get the standard 'Torticelli' (I think) blend. This at least gives a good benchmark to start with. He's very insistant upon advising storage in a freezer, though later agreeing that this is more for long term 1 week + storage. He's got a Probat in the shop and said that in the afternoons he'll make a custom blended roast for you.

£1.65 per 100g. Also clearly not in the same league as Steve in terms of coffee sourcing, but I definately will be going back. Support your local roaster!! :)

Hello, Andy
Dropped by at the coffee roaster and got some of his (I think) "torricelli" blend.

Nice bloke, as you said.

He made me an espresso - wasn't that impressed to be truthful, but thought it might be better once made at home.

Would really really like to say that I like it, but it's too over-roasted and oily for my tastes - mostly a roast taste rather than anything else :( Probably will be better in a milky drink rather than straight espresso.

He did say he did other espresso blends, but only to order. Didn't think to ask him what his minimum order is, but I'd guess it's almost certainly more than I'd want in one go.

What did you think of it used at home ?

Would very much like to support a local roaster, but only if it produces something I like (it's quite a premium price after all).
Reneka Techno, Mazzer Mini-e, and a few other bits of coffee related junk
easylife

Postby AndyM » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:57 pm

easylife wrote:What did you think of it used at home ?

It does seem to go oily quite quickly. And it is fairly generic coffee. I'm in two minds, I like to support someone locally, but I'd prefer better beans.

I've got a HB delivery arriving tomorrow :) so he'll have to wait for now.
AndyM

Postby Caffe_e_ciclismo » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:42 pm

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I noticed this thread on Birmingham and i thought i might be able to contribute some useful info.

As a cycle courier in the city I've tried double espresso's in almost every coffee-serving establishment within a 2-mile radius of the centre and until recently had been pretty disappointed. In the last few weeks I discovered Eastside Café on the corner of Meriden Street and Coventry Street, opposite the temporary National Express coach station, they have a La Spaziale machine and serve Monmouth blend and they make a tasty double, with enough crema to be boldly served in two clear shot glasses. They really seem to care about every aspect of the food and drinks they serve there, and have obviously gone to quite some trouble to source good beans, a good machine and train their staff well. Super friendly too! Too anyone interested, they serve all organic, seasonal and locally sourced food - which is very commendable, and the fresh lemonade is out of this world.

I enjoy coffee roasters in Shirley (though not at all in the city centre), Martyn is a friendly fellow that has kindly roasted small batches of coffee from the 'secret stash' not advertised on the boards behind the counter (ask to see the buckets of greens in the corridor by the kitchens), such as the hand-picked organic from zimbabwe and kindly took me through the whole roasting process. It's not perfect, but a real gem nonetheless. I think it's sometimes a bit harsh to judge cafés with the same criteria as home espresso, since compared to almost every other café in Birmingham Coffee Roaster's does serve a 'real' espresso, albeit not a perfect one.

I thought Eastside was the best i'd get in Birmingham, but today I came across Saint Caffe at St. Paul's Square, and i'm really excited to find a café that shares the same passion for coffee as myself. They are clearly passionate about every aspect of the coffee making process and I had a really good chat with the couple that run the place (although on a caffeine high, i managed to blabber on and on...and on...and on...in my excitement in discovering this place). They have come up with their own custom blend too, roasted to their exact specifications. Every detail in making the coffee, cleaning and storing is done with the absolute relentless precision that only a true coffee enthusiast would go to - and I was super impressed. They also produce some fabulous latte art, which is the first I've seen in Birmingham. I have seriously been waiting to find somewhere like this for such a long time, and I'm really happy to have found this spot. I highly recommend this place!!!

As for chains, well...you can't expect too much, but all things considered Eat at Martineau Place (where they have..gasp...real cups not made from paper, like the other branches) make a very passable espresso on their La Marzocco and Caffe Gusto in the Mailbox is actually reasonable also. As I said already, you can't expect too much, but definately drinkable. I found Nata a gem in many respects, but i find the coffee tastes musty and a bit mildewy if i'm honest, but I'll go back in the hope they clean their machine, or solve whatever is making the coffee taste funny.

If anyone gets a chance to pop into Eastside or Saint Caffe I'd be interested to know what you think.
Caffe_e_ciclismo

Postby Bertie_Doe » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:05 pm

Hi cicclismo and welcome to the madhouse and that's a nice insight into Brum, what grinder have you got - only kidding, what bike have you got. I used to have a 500 Velo, but I don't suppose anyone remembers them. Yours is a real coffee journey.

QC
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby bruceb » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:17 pm

The only experience I had in Birmingham was at the airport...fancy setup and fanatic barista with 6 month old Lavazza beans. Glad to hear that there are better places.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Aadje » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:57 am

Welcome Coffee 'n' Biking :)
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

PreviousNext

Return to Places to drink coffee