Birmingham?

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Birmingham?

Postby Debbie » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:32 pm

Anyone know of a decent coffee place in Brum?
Worth a try! :)

Debbie
Debbie

Postby Steve » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:38 am

I'm not aware of any where. On my visits I tend to drink either something with LOTS of milk or tea. Great atmosphere down by the canal though.

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Postby AndyS » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:16 pm

...wish there was a good place in/near bham :(

BTW - anywhere good in/near bham to go buy roasted beans?

Andy.
================
1987 Rancilio L6
================
Bodum cafetiere
================
AndyS

Postby Steve » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:38 pm

I was recommended somewhere recently to try out in Brum. A place called Hudson’s in Colmore row. I've yet to get chance to go visit, and the person who told me about it doesn’t really get the whole coffee thing, but if anyone has experience of it I'd be interested to know.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby DC » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:24 pm

Steve wrote:A place called Hudson’s in Colmore row. I've yet to get chance to go visit, and the person who told me about it doesn’t really get the whole coffee thing, but if anyone has experience of it I'd be interested to know.

I've been there. I didn't have the guts to try their espresso (machine didn't look warmed-up) but had a pot of French press. The coffee was pre-ground, not sure how old but it didn't have anywhere near the bloom that I'm used to with fresh coffee at home. The guy serving us knew enough to tell us to let it steep for 3 or 4 minutes, which is more than I normally get.

Next time I'll try their espresso. I have to agree though, since becoming aware of what good coffee is, I have never had a good coffee in Birmingham, or anywhere else for that matter :(
DC

Postby bruceb » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:29 pm

Forget the nice looking espresso bar in the middle of the airport unless you like "aged" Lavazza beans. :roll:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Steve » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:37 pm

LOL sorry bruce should have given you a doggy bag :)

DC I've since heard that Hudsons is not all that, from a couple of sources shame really, but agre Birmingham is not great unless you want to visit a chain.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby AndyM » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:36 pm

In the mornings on the way in to work I pick up an Americano from Coffee Republic, there are no good places in the city centre (Isn't Hudsons a tea room?). The coffee ain't any different to all the other chains, but on only my third visit they knew what I wanted which counts for something in my book.

For what it is worth I've been told there is a nice coffee roaster and cafe in Shirley on Stratford Rd. Never been but a colleague recomends it.
AndyM

Postby AndyS » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:51 pm

Can you post the name of the roaster in Shirley, so I can give it a go?

cheers,

Andy.
================
1987 Rancilio L6
================
Bodum cafetiere
================
AndyS

Postby Bertie_Doe » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:03 pm

2 hits in Stratford Road and 1 miss :twisted:

Quentin
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby AndyM » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:43 pm

AndyS wrote:Can you post the name of the roaster in Shirley, so I can give it a go?

cheers,

Andy.

The Coffee Roaster
143, Stratford Rd, Shirley, Solihull, West Midlands B90 3AY
Tel: 0121 744 2735

I really should give it a go. I have no reason not to apart from pure lazyness! It is literally a 5min drive from my house!

Just park outside M&S and walk down.

I'll tell you what, I willl definately pop in in the next week and report back here. :)

Where do you live AndyS?
AndyM

Postby easylife » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:20 pm

AndyM wrote:The Coffee Roaster
143, Stratford Rd, Shirley, Solihull, West Midlands B90 3AY
Tel: 0121 744 2735

I really should give it a go. I have no reason not to apart from pure lazyness! It is literally a 5min drive from my house!

Just park outside M&S and walk down.

I'll tell you what, I willl definately pop in in the next week and report back here. :)

Where do you live AndyS?

Is it really a roastery as well as a cafe ? I've driven past it hundreds of times, but assumed "The Coffee Roaster" was just a name, and thought it unlikely there would be a commercial roaster in the middle of Shirley.

Be very interested in what you find out.

BTW - anybody tried "bebo" ? (the new caff in paradise forum).

Don't know anything about them, but may drop in within the next few days as I walk past it several times a week. Not part of a chain as far as I know.
Reneka Techno, Mazzer Mini-e, and a few other bits of coffee related junk
easylife

Postby easylife » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:51 pm

Steve wrote:
DC I've since heard that Hudsons is not all that, from a couple of sources shame really, but agre Birmingham is not great unless you want to visit a chain.

I've always though of Hudsons as a tea room, although they do have a long list of coffees.

One of the few places left where the waiters still wear tailcoats and striped trousers too - only thing missing is a palm court trio in the corner.

Somehow, it's never seemed the right place to drink coffee. Their tea is good though, so are the sandwiches/cakes/desserts.

Not been in for ages. Must drop by again soon.
easylife

Postby AndyM » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:40 pm

easylife wrote:Is it really a roastery as well as a cafe ? I've driven past it hundreds of times, but assumed "The Coffee Roaster" was just a name, and thought it unlikely there would be a commercial roaster in the middle of Shirley.

Well I thought that too - I parked up once to go in there, but changed my mind as it looked like a cafe. But my friend told me that it had their own roasted coffee too. I'll check it out at some point (actually I'll double check first ;)).
AndyM

Postby easylife » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:00 pm

Re: "bebo" ? (the new caff in paradise forum)

..replying to my own question.

went in there this afternoon.

I waited under the umbrellas until the rain stopped, but left the coffee undrunk.

:roll:
easylife

Next

Return to Places to drink coffee