Met the Dutch Latte-art champion today...

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Met the Dutch Latte-art champion today...

Postby michel » Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:10 am

Who enters my bookstore today..?
Jeroen Veldkamp, the dutch latte-art champion I visited a week ago, without getting a change to speak to him... He asked me if I sold coffee-books... I looked and had nothing in stock at that momemt... We started talking about coffee... but as it was to crowded I wasn't able to tell him about TMC. (told him I was a home-roaster though... and he was fascinated...)
I've promessed to search some books for him though, and when I send him the list, I'll ask him for a masterclass to write about on TMC.

Michel
Last edited by michel on Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michel

Postby Sunnyfield » Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:43 am

Hahaha - when you visited Jeroen he was too busy 'working' and now vice versa. I find that quite amusing. He didn't know or recognise you, right?
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:33 pm

That's a great story. Did you make an appointment to interview him? Maybe when you're not both busy? ;)
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby michel » Sat Dec 27, 2003 9:31 pm

I will make an appointment with him Neku, I promess... only problem is that I seem to have no e-mail adress (I thought it was listed on the site of last years match... but it isn't... and the grand-cafe Van Bleiswijk, seems to have no e-mail adress too - so I have to drive myself to Enkhuizen again... (which reminds me I have a flat tire... At the garage they couldn't find a leak... but now 5 day's later it is flat again. Have to find me another garage I think :? )

Jeroen didn't recognise me Eward, as we haven't spoken to each other before... He seems a real nice guy and was quite surprised I knew a lot about coffee, roasted my own beans and could probably help him with some coffee-books... So maybe our 'meeting' will be nice for him too... (It was today for sure... although I was a bit flabbergasted about the coincidence factor... - maybe God isn't playing at dice at all :roll: :roll: :roll: -

Michel
michel

Postby Raf » Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:42 pm

Michel, do you think you could interest Jeroen in a column on latte art? We can add a link to his café - everybody wins. Maybe you could bring that up after you interview him (and be sure to flatter him mercilessly ;)!)
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby Joey » Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:13 pm

michel wrote:...which reminds me I have a flat tire... At the garage they couldn't find a leak... but now 5 day's later it is flat again. Have to find me another garage I think :? )

If the tire isn't bad - maybe it's your neighbour? :twisted:
Joey :lol:
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby Danny » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:06 pm

About the tire.... What usually happens is that the leak becomes apparent (the tyre goes flat) when the leak is a small one... When the tire stops at just the right position, it opens up the leak more and the air comes rushing out (realitivly speaking of course). That would explain if they could not find it. I have been caught like this before. It drove me mad till my dad (a mechanic) told me what was happening... Should have asked him sooner.

Anyway what you need to do is to mark with white chalk, on the tyre wall, where the tyre was positioned when it went flat (or take a mental note, where the valve is positioned relative to the road surface.). Then explain it to the mechanic.... He then only has to search about a 45degree area for the hole...

You could also put more pressure in the tyre so that it forces the hole to open but you run a risk of exploding the tyre and hurting yourself....

Now where did I put my tamper....
Danny

Postby Raf » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:41 pm

Which reminds me: Michel, how are the interview plans moving on? Did you contact Jeroen at all?

Raf
Founder Member

Postby michel » Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:48 pm

Neku wrote:Which reminds me: Michel, how are the interview plans moving on? Did you contact Jeroen at all?

Yes, spoke to him last Saturday (coincidence again..? Or are you Jeroen in cognito... just playing a game with me Neku :?: ) He came by to ask for any new coffee-books in the shop... and told me between the lines he does not work anymore for the Grand Cafe van Bleijswijk in Enkhuizen. He works now in Utrecht for ... (can't remember the brand-name... damn. It was not Lavazza, not Piaz D'or, not Illy, not Segafreddo... it was that other big name :?: :?: help me :?: ...) coffee-firm to go to café's and instruct, and do whatever such a guy does (mainly setting the grind-coarsness I presume...).
And again it was to busy to do my proposal (also because I can't have a masterclass anymore - he doesn''t work as a barista anymore - ) but mainly because a bunch of people were tapping with their feet and desperately wanted some assistance... And my proposal is btw about inviting him at my home to show him how to roast while in the mean time I should be able to learn a lot from him... But imho there is the right time for such proposals so I did not ask.
BTW he got a copy of Illy's chemistry book - still in plastic - from a guy who worked for Illy. He was reading it now and although it was quite difficult english, he thought it was quite interesting... So maybe one day I will get a copy too (and a few customers who want it badly...) and my desparing will be over as it seems they are still available...

Jeroen will be back in the shop he said, so next time (probable 1 or 2 months - as it took him that long to come by the last time - I will try to manouvre myself in such a position that talking and proposing is more convenient and appropriate.

Michel
(who does not believe that things are predestined... but has to admit that the credibility of this coincidence - which is you bringing up this post after me meeting him again two days earlier - is at stake. So I have to come up with more next time, and I have to force my selve to do the proposal :!: )
michel

Postby michel » Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:05 pm

MrFollies wrote:About the tire.... What usually happens is that the leak becomes apparent (the tyre goes flat) when the leak is a small one... When the tire stops at just the right position, it opens up the leak more and the air comes rushing out (realitively speaking of course).

This really makes sense to me, and I will observe immediately tomorrow. The flat tire is fixed at the moment (I have 4 new tires to be accurate as all were worn out...), but the same tire (left front) is leaking although its new. And thinking about it... the place where the car is parked is a bit bumpy, so it could be possible that (parking almost exacly on the same spot every time) is giving all the trouble.

Thanks MrFollies,
Michel
michel

Postby Danny » Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:38 am

If the tyre is new and you are sure there can be no puncture, then I would inspect the rim for damage, although this might be a lot easier with the tyre off.

MrFollies
(Who secretly misses his fathers workshop full of tools which - although used for car repairs - would be perfect for working on espresso machines.)
Danny

Return to Places to drink coffee