Coffee in LA

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby sicinius » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:22 pm

Caffe Luxxe.

I love Morrisey's quote about LA.

"LA is a perfectly fine place to live as long as you take great care not to meet anybody."
Isomac Zaffiro, Eureka Mignon, Isomac Gram Macinino, Aeropress, Stovetop espresso, various Moka stovetops, 3 cafetieres, 50's glass Cona. Behmor 1600.
sicinius

Postby mrkyle » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:03 am

kingseven wrote:It does give a very different mouthfeel, no doubt. The guys down at Flat White on Berwick street dose about 22g and though I find the coffee a bit acidic it is intensely syrupy.

We use this same method at my work in New Zealand.
Originally I think it was developed so that one side of a triple basket could be used for a small t/a cup. Of course, people started asking for triples in all their coffee, so now triple is standard for us.
Comparing a triple shot on a La Marzocco to a 16g basket on a San Marco- with the same coffee, they taste completely different. Which I prefer depends on the day! Neither method is startlingly better than the other, it seems to come down to personal preference.
That said, a good single origin medium black, with a beastly, syrupy triple, is unbeatable for me.
mrkyle

Postby BazBean » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:32 am

visited flat whites a few weeks back with good friends and had a high dose short pull. had to rate in my top 3 ever .....and i have had quite a few espressos in my time

no trace of high acidity but i believe the supplier is diffrent.

I tried the same coffee in another London site on the same day dosed at lower weights and it was very diffrent experience. good but not as on the money.
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:21 am

We were getting big mouthfeel out of the SM Autumn Blend too. It was one of my favourite coffee mouthfells of the year :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Previous

Return to Places to drink coffee