Dutch latte-art champion and my visit to him...

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Dutch latte-art champion and my visit to him...

Postby michel » Sun Dec 21, 2003 9:25 pm

I visited Grand-Café 'Van Bleyswijk' in Enkhuizen today to have a cappa from the Dutch latte-art champion Jeroen Veldkamp...
Unfortunately it was very busy... :(
We ordered two applejuice for our daughters, a Tea for my wife and I asked for a Cappuccino with leaf-image... The waiter smiled and said it was busy so he could not promis anything... I said to him that I would really like some latte-art... He said: I'll see wat I can do!
Jeroen did'nt pull any shot while we were in the place... I tried to speak to him but could not get his attention...
The cappa I got (made by someone else) was sea-foam with a figure of liquid-chocolat on top of it... Underneath the foam there was milk with a hint of coffee.
I was soooooooooooooo disappointed!
(positive point though: I got a kiss from my wife... as she saw how desillusioned I was...)

So I'm positive about going to the Dutch championship in april '04, with a friend and maybe - I'm still evaluating the disadvantages (like not being able to bring your own gear, your own beans aso) - also as a participant!

So Jeroen... watch your moves as I'm busy entering the game... :wink:

Michel
(who has to work on his leaves... but hey! How difficult can it be:
watch Jeroen at:
http://www.frieschevlag.nl/latteart/latteart.asp
and press: Play
and even without leaves... and I'm able to bring my own roasted coffee... and if the Jury tastes the beverages too... I will be certainly winning as the coffee of the sponsor (Peeze) sucks in general, while you won't even notice it in cappa's...)
Last edited by michel on Sat Dec 27, 2003 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
michel

Postby phil » Sun Dec 21, 2003 10:10 pm

Go on go for it Michel.

Maybe you should "out" this geezer on alt.coffee? Or is that too harsh? What does the team think?
phil
Founder Member

Postby gruff » Sun Dec 21, 2003 10:30 pm

It often seems to be the case that the more successful people become (in any walk of life) the more detached they become from what makes them successful (if that makes sense!)
gruff

Postby michel » Sun Dec 21, 2003 10:40 pm

Let me first introduce the team:
-My wife: 'You are out of your mind...'
-Sophie (4 years old, having a nip of cappa sometimes): 'May I come too..?'
-Roos (2 years old): Yes... Me too... Me TOO, I want coffee tooo...)

About posting this on alt.coffee:
I've searched the archives and it seems that Jeroen is not visiting alt.coffee, so challenge him in this way is no option... Furthermore posts about the Dutch championship can be counted on one hand... Little interest I guess...

No, really:
I will go back to van Bleyswijk (Bleiswijk) this or next week... it's only a 15 min. drive... and I will see if I can have a chat with Jeroen as he seems a nice person too me, with lot's of interest in his customers... (it was just to crowded today I guess... and I hope you are wrong Gruff about the detached issue... :? ).
michel

Postby Raf » Mon Dec 22, 2003 8:47 am

I think what you should do is call in advance and tell him why you want to speak to him. Tell him about TMC, that we'd like to raise espresso awareness in Europe, and that a Barista Championship is a good hook to get people interested in the process of making good espresso. And yes, going on a quiet day might help :).
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby gruff » Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:58 am

I hope so too Michel. It was more of a general observation, and from what you say, if he's prepared to chat to his customers at he bar like that, that's got to be good.
By the way, the team line up looks good! Hope you've got them all training hard!
gruff

Postby Sunnyfield » Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:46 pm

We should go gentle on Jeroen, the Dutch champion. The poor guy didn't even know Michel was there to represent TMC.

Although it is a nice title, I do fear the title doesn't mean much in the Netherlands. It is like being the champion of the Irish football league (I can hear people wondering: is there one!?!? Sorry Alan!).

Michel, I really support your participation. Perhaps TMC should make some barista aprons with the print www.toomuchcoffee.com. How cool would that be! :D
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby alans » Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:42 pm

Nothing to be sorry about, I'm not Irish! Girlfriends brother was captain for UCD though....
alans

Postby phil » Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:00 pm

Sunnyfield wrote:The poor guy didn't even know Michel was there to represent TMC.

And if he had he'd have said "Who?"
phil
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:08 pm

And he would have said, you'll know soon enough ;) Ever heard of coffee geek? well were like that with opinions
Steve
Founder Member

Return to Places to drink coffee