Coffee in New York

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Coffee in New York

Postby Sammy » Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:49 am

Work brought me to NY this week... and the folks over at Coffeegeek.com pointed me in the direction of http://www.portorico.com/coffee.html in Bleecker Street.

So, as soon as I had a minute in between meetings, I jumped over to Bleecker St. Wow! I have never seen so many beans in my life.

Not a good idea to take a lot back to Europe though, so I restrained myself. Bought a pack of Nicaragua-Mexican blend from their sustainable farming collection.

Hope the roast will survive the trip back to Europe - Germany and Holland first- before hitting the old machine back in Brussels... A bit sub-optimal, but hey, the experience of having some coffee from this New York coffee powerhouse also counts!

Below the pic I took this afternoon.

Sam.
Attachments
NY-Porto-Rico.jpg
NY-Porto-Rico.jpg (22.91 KiB) Viewed 14322 times
QuickMill AP
Sammy

Postby Teme » Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:06 am

Sam,

If you have time while in NYC, you could also check out: http://ninthstreetespresso.com/

Also, if you have to pop over to Brooklyn, you could try http://www.gimmecoffee.com/

Br,
Teme
Teme

Postby Sammy » Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:46 pm

Thanks Teme,

I went over to 9th. Had a few great shots of expresso with a superb layer of red-brown crema. Slightly acid, but very good.

By the way, the smart and shiny espressocraft tampers are still not ready. A few more weeks of patience, but I do want one.

Below is a pic, taken this morning.

Thanks for pointing me to Ninth Street. Brooklyn will be for next time.

Sam.
Attachments
ninth.jpg
ninth.jpg (40.82 KiB) Viewed 14289 times
QuickMill AP
Sammy

Postby Raf » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:39 am

Wow, Sammy, you seem to be having quite the trip!
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby Teme » Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:10 pm

Sammy wrote:Thanks Teme,

I went over to 9th. Had a few great shots of expresso with a superb layer of red-brown crema. Slightly acid, but very good.

By the way, the smart and shiny espressocraft tampers are still not ready. A few more weeks of patience, but I do want one.

Below is a pic, taken this morning.

Thanks for pointing me to Ninth Street. Brooklyn will be for next time.

Sam.

No problems Sam. I'll be in NYC in November, including a weekend. I hope to make it Gimme Coffee this time around. Also, I'll pick up one of the Espressocraft tampers if they are available at that time...

I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip!

Br,
Teme
Teme

Postby Teme » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:12 pm

I forgot to report back after my trip. I did visit 9th Street Espresso, Gimme Coffee in Brooklyn as well as both locations of Joe the Art of Coffee. Bottomless portafilters and latte art seemed to be the common denominator for all of these establishments. The coffee itself was not too impressive at either of the locations for Joe. However, both 9th St and Gimme are definitely worth a visit. I preferred the straight shots at Gimme and the cappuccinos at 9th St...

The Espressocraft tampers were still not available.

Br,
Teme
Teme

Postby Tea » Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:37 pm

@ Teme,

I didn´t know that Joe has 2 locations in New York!?

At my last stay I visited Joe at his location at 141 Waverly Place.
What´s the address of the other location?

Tea

P.S.: Happy New Year to you and all the other Coffeefriends...!
Tea

Postby Teme » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:09 pm

Hi Tea,

Yep, they have two locations within walking distance from each other. The Waverly Place location is more busy. I had a better shot at the 13th Street location, which is usually less crowded...

Happy New Year to you and everyone else!

Br,
Teme
Teme

Postby Tea » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:50 pm

Thanks Teme for the Info!

Next time I´m in New York I´ll try the 13th Street location...

Cheers,
Tea
Tea

Postby Steve » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:20 am

Dont suppose anyone knows if these places are open late? I've got a 15 hour stop over in new york the end of feb, but its going to be 6 o'clock at night until the morning. Will need some serious coffee as in total with this stop over its over 35 hours travelling !

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Postby BazBean » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:41 am

Steve.
you mean you dont have a portable fold out brief case with a lever machine and grinder like the rest of us ???? 8)

tut tut and you call yourslelf a coffee man. :roll:

New York, Have Sunderland FC got an away match i was unaware of ??
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby Steve » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:00 am

LOL no football, and no lever machine unfortunatly. I was going to take a hand grinder and press pot but I cant take any coffee because of the final destination they dont allow it to be carried in :(

And that funny walk when its pluged is a dead give away :oops: :cry:

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Beanie » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:41 pm

http://ninthstreetespresso.com/ - 07:00 - 18:00 :(
http://www.gimmecoffee.com/locations.ph ... 2162f55c0c you'll have better luck here... some locations open til 21:00. and open from 07:00 onwards.
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby Steve » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:49 pm

Thank you :) I'll take a look through them. Knew I could rely on you :)

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Jasonscheltus » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:43 am

There's quite a lot going on in New York at the moment.

Cafe Grumpy is going strong in Chelsea and Greenpoint (Brooklyn), their roaster is arriving early this week (a 1964 Probat L12) and Colleen and Liam are currently roasting COE samples from Costa Rica and Honduras. They have a new shop in Park Slope opening probably Wednesday next week (and I'll be doing a shift there on Sunday week, exciting!). The bar is beautiful and we're all excited.

Stumptown's roaster arrives to Red Hook (Brooklyn) tomorrow, Ed Kauffman and someone else will be roasting. Duane is in town for the next four weeks to help dial in the roasts. Cafe Pedlar in Cobble Hill (Brooklyn) is going strong. It's a beautiful space, half owned or designed or something to do with Duane from Stumptown. Alie Camp, ex-Gimme! is managing the store.

There's lots more, and I'll post a little more later on.
Jasonscheltus

Next

Return to Places to drink coffee