Coffee in New York

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby smoocher » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:54 am

how long are you in NY for?
smoocher

Postby Jasonscheltus » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:30 pm

until the 29th of June.
Jasonscheltus

Postby PhilT » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:44 pm

Is there a good place for coffee *gear* in NY city? I'm passing through the next couple of weekends. I know about the fine cafes and will be sure to visit, but wondered if there might be a place to pick up a bottomless portafilter, tamper etc. Anyone know?

(Chris Coffee is in NY state, but 150 miles north in Albany...)

Phil
La Spaziale S1 Mini, Mazzer Mini E, Aeropress, Kyocera hand grinder
PhilT

Postby smoocher » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:43 pm

take the train up, it's actually a lovely journey. i've taken the train a couple of times in the winter. it takes a long time, and amtrak are fucking shit - but i have enjoyed it
smoocher

Postby PhilT » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:25 pm

I was up in Connecticut and got a couple of bits from Chris Coffee sent to the hotel. Shipping within the US is included in their prices (next day). You need to call them to set it up - very helpful people to deal with. I got a LS bottomless portafilter to play with.

So, having got that out of the way, I can concentrate on fine cafes in NY city on the way home.

Phil
PhilT

Postby PhilT » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:25 pm

Managed a cup in Joe The Art of Coffee at Grand Central Station (42nd Street). Very good. The cup for tips was labelled "support counter intelligence" :-)

Bit of a walk south from 57th Street where I was staying though. The good coffee houses all seem to be at the bottom end of Manhattan or in Brooklyn. Anyone know of a good place north of 42nd Street?

Phil
PhilT

Postby Jasonscheltus » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:57 pm

bump.

This time Stumptown IS actually roasting in Red Hook, Brooklyn. By the time I left in July they had been saying for about 8 months that they were "one or two days away"... They opened the in the Ace Hotel in Manhattan as well.

Third Rail coffee is new, serving Intelli and Ecco Caffee. And excellent! http://www.thirdrailcoffee.com/

There's a new Counter Culture account in Brooklyn called Milk Bar, weirdly enough.

Southside Espresso also serve Intelli. They in Brooklyn somewhere.

Cafe Pedlar is a half owned by Stumptown, it's beautiful, in Cobble Hill, Brooklyn

Variety Cafe on Graham Ave in Williamsburg serve Stumptown and they're so lovely.

Lucky Shot, owned by the same dude who owns Variety, is on Driggs Ave in Wburg.

Have a flick through Liz Clayton's flickr for ideas, she's based in Brooklyn, drinks a lot of coffee and takes lovely photos.

And obviously, Gimme. Grumpy are roasting now too at their Greenpoint location (brooklyn). Ninth Street were still excellent.

When I was there, there was almost a cupping every day somewhere in New York. If you ask Dan from Third Rail, he knows most things that go on in Coffee NYC.
Jasonscheltus

Previous

Return to Places to drink coffee