"One cafè" in Lucignano (Ar)

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

"One cafè" in Lucignano (Ar)

Postby MKSwing » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:41 am

Hello there,
If you have the luck to visit Tuscany, do not miss this bar located in Lucignano in Arezzo provincia. The barrista and owner is a very cool guy and he will provide you not only a perfect espresso cup but even his new and home made Tris caffè which is a blend of coffee cream, espresso and panna... He uses coffee from a reknown Arezzo roaster, Sandy caffèhttp://www.sandy.it. A fantastic 2 groups Faema E61 reedition is helping him to achieve the drinks. We had a "little" talk about how the weather and the water affects the quality of the espresso and how he is playing with the grinder all day long to maintain the perfection of the shot. It was like if TMC was no more a virtual group :)
Oh and he is using a tamper and most of the bar where I had a good espresso are too. So I was wrong when I said the opposite some months ago in a discussion. A little kick on the portafilter and then a not so big push on the grounds, they all do it the same way. Another good bar is in Monte Sansavino but can't remember, he's using illy beans and a La Cimbali machine.

As we were in a bed and breakfast room for one week, I had to eat in restraurants 2 times a day and I found a rule. You only drink good coffee in bars. Restaurants don't care, their coffee is as bad as in France and in some cases it is even worst as the roast is more appropriate to espresso.

Another thing that makes me mad is the new cup you tend to find more and more in bars. I didn't take a picture but are like a plate, instead of making a circle of 3cm of diameter they are 6 or 7 cm of diameters and then shorter. Everytime I encountered these cups, the coffee was crap, coincidence ?

Anyway, I am very happy to have met this barrista (Andrea) in Lucignano and hope he'll be able to take a look at TMC, but he has problems with english, so... I'll write a littlle article about the bar and maybe we could create the italian section with it ?
Attachments
faema.jpg
2 groups Faema E61 reedition
faema.jpg (93.16 KiB) Viewed 6405 times
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

Postby Gouezeri » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:08 am

Beautiful old machine there Stéphane, but you should have cropped the shot a bit tighter on the right hand side... you'll have PaulT foaming at the mouth ;-)
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Raf » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:18 am

We can always put a tamper in his mouth to stop the foaming... :twisted:

On topic: yes, an Italian section wouldn't be a luxury, but I believe Phil is very busy these days.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:42 am

Actually, we could use one of his "hopper stoppers" instead... wouldn't want to waste a thor ;-)
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby wallisj » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:10 am

Am i being too nerdy to mention that the doser is 1/2 full of ground coffee?
Whats the point of playing with the grind all day if you leave the ground sat in the doser exosed to air for ages

Lovely machine though
wallisj

Postby MKSwing » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:17 am

wallisj wrote:Am i being too nerdy to mention that the doser is 1/2 full of ground coffee?
Whats the point of playing with the grind all day if you leave the ground sat in the doser exosed to air for ages

Lovely machine though

Right but wrong. This bar serves a lot of espressi so the quality of the coffee is not affected, he plays with the grind only when he notices that the pour is not perfect.
You can even notice that he covers his beans with the vendor's bag to protect them from light.
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

Postby wallisj » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:22 am

Fair enough if the turn over is high
wallisj

Postby Raf » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:33 am

You can actually see a shot dripping from the spouts. Looks good.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Return to Places to drink coffee