Any recommendations for Firenze?

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Any recommendations for Firenze?

Postby pokissimo » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:04 pm

Going to be staying for a week in Florence next month:

Any recommendations of places to get a better than average cup without having to
pay tourist prices! :twisted:

Andy
pokissimo

Postby phoenetia » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:50 am

asking for coffee recommendations in italia ? i think ur showing off !!
phoenetia

Postby motoman » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:28 am

Do what the experienced travellers do, only go to cafes and restaurants frequented by the locals.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby pokissimo » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:20 am

Sure :) I was just hoping some locals (or semi locals) were lurking around and had some particular
favourites ;)

Admittedly, even works canteen coffee in Italy tends to be better than the dreaded *$
pokissimo

Postby Beanie » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:19 am

My BF was in the Verona/Valpolicella region a few weeks ago. He actually called and told me that coffee @ home was better!!! Naturally, I asked him to repeat himself. But then again, he only went into touristy areas. So, motoman's advice is excellent. I don't know why I didn't give the same to my BF as I tend to do that with "ethnic" restaurants.

Although the freshly roasted coffee was difficult to come by, he did manage to come home with a case of Amarone and Reciotto :drink:
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby mattmills » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:30 pm

You will find that a lot of the espressos will not be to the general liking. There tends to be a fair amount of robusta (which i hasent to add is not a bad thing depending on how it is blended). What you will tend to notice is that on the whole the coffees will be far more rounded than many coffees in the UK, with more body and better mouth feel.
Although from a purely quality perspective many of the coffees used are not that good.

just an opinion
mattmills

Re: Any recommendations for Firenze?

Postby MKSwing » Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:56 pm

80 kms from Firenze, in Lucignano "One Café". A real killer. I'll post about it later, lots of things to do right now as I'm just back from ferie :)
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

Postby Jonas » Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:05 am

You just have to stay away from the big piazzas and touristspots, they charge almost 50% more. And remember it's cheaper al banco (at the bar) than al tavolo (at a table), if you just want to have a quick ristretto or espresso(which is normally refered to as: un caffè). I spent a year in Firenze, but 12 years ago, so I can't really recommend any bars for coffee, sorry! The bar I worked at closed long time ago. But if you maybe long for a good beer, there's an irish pub: Fiedlers Elbow at Piazza Santa Maria Novella near the main train station. I have also worked there, but the only coffee there is "drip" or presspot.

Have a nice trip, I envy you!
Before: La Cimbali 2 GR, Bialetti caffettiera, La Pavoni Europiccola, VBM Domobar, BFC Junior Pulsante

Now: VBM Domobar Super Manual, Rotary Pump
Mazzer Super Jolly
Impod Interrogativo tamper
Jonas

Return to Places to drink coffee