Cofro in Mevagissey

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Cofro in Mevagissey

Postby simonp » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:37 pm

Whilst on holiday in Cornwall we took the ferry from Fowey to Mevagissey, and thought we'd drop in at Cofro, the proprietor of which popped up here a while ago here as micmacmoc.

Actually we found the place by accident whilst admiring some art in a shop window Jess noticed they did coffee, and after an apalling espresso in St Austell the previous day we thought we'd be brave and try this place as it looked nice inside.

We ordered 2 espressos, and I did my usual anorak watching of the process and timing of the shot. Ooooh, what looked like a 25 second (counting in my head) proper sized (i.e. small) single shot with red brown crema :shock: the first time EVER in a shop for me. The crema wasn't ultra thick but was still there by the time we had sat down and de-canted cameras, rucksacks etc. They were served with a glass of water and a chocoalte covered coffee bean, nice touch.
The first sip tasted good, actually like espresso rather than the usual burnt water. Not bad at all. It was then that I noticed the name of the place - Cofro. That rang a bell, so I asked the guy who had sreved us if he was the one who had joined TMC, and it was. We had a brief chat about coffee, and the posibility of roasting in the shop, which I advised against, but maybe a Hottop in the window roasting occasionally to tempt people in might be good.
I have to say thanks for the 2 more epsressos that he brought over for us, not quite as nice as the first, the crema was a bit thin and light, but still tasted OK.

It was refreshing to find someone trying to make good coffee, in spite of a lot of his suppliers telling hoim to use cheap 20% robusta blends as they siad his customers wouldn't know the difference!! Now we start to see why things are so bad. Fortunately he insisted on a good quality blend and it sounds like he has a good few regulars who appreciate the difference.

I think it would be worth trying some really fresh roasted coffee though (theirs is roasted in Italy, so the beans can't be fantastically fresh) as that would really make things good I think. I'm thinking of sending a sample of some home roast to try, and see what they think.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby Steve » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:59 pm

You'll remeber your first time forever, the first time you had a good coffee out :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:39 pm

Still a virgin, I'm afraid, I'm saving myself for the right crema laden ristretto who'll make me happy for the rest of my days... I want my first time to be "special" ;-)
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Belgik » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:48 pm

"Like a virgin, touch'd for the very first time", eh gouezeri (ok, ok, I'm going...)
ECM Giotto maquinas, Macap M5 grinder, reconditioned Zassenhaus manual grinder,
Thor tamper, Britta filtered water, cheap vacuum cleaner, Hottop "basic" roaster, green beans in stock.
Belgik

Postby Gouezeri » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:56 pm

not even ;-)
I'm thinking some extremist evangelical sect type thing from the US :twisted:
a pact not to touch any of the vile unclean offerings which are sent to tempt us via *$, beelzebub's agent here on earth...
at least not until I'm middle aged... at which point polygamy is likely to be the order of the day :lol:
Gouezeri

Postby micmacmoc » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:40 am

Thanks simonp....it was a pleasure to find this post (even after so long!) thanks so much!
It makes the extra effort worthwhile, why half do a job when the extra effort gets a response like this, thanks again and again!
(i have a rosy glow of pride now!)
moc
meva :oops:
micmacmoc

Postby Gouezeri » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:52 am

So come on then Moc, tell us how it is going. Managed to drum up a decent bunch of regulars? What about telling your regulars about TMC, get them really hooked on quality coffee and have them fully appreciate the job you are doing! Remember we're relying on decent shops to spread the word and educate customers into asking for more.
If you've not already read it, this thread gives a good idea of the current situation and what people think of most chains.
D
Gouezeri

Postby micmacmoc » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:14 pm

Its going really well, the combination of art and coffee seem to compliment. the rise of chains means people are becoming less intimidated by the range of coffees and more appreciative of quality when they find it! I will certainly make people aware of the TMC site......if I may I would like to put this thread printed out in the window of my shop and create a link from our own website to TMC (we've been 'working' on the website for ages and have achieved very little....house move, marriage, summer season etc etc etc).
Thanks to all!
moc
meva
micmacmoc

Postby Gouezeri » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:18 pm

Unless anybody in the thread objects to being quoted publicly, I can't see why not. And I'm sure loads of us here are glad to hear of an independent doing a good job and succeeding! Goes to show that it is possible and that customers can taste the difference, if given the chance!
D
Gouezeri

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:22 pm

Hi Moc :D . I had not seen this thread before having joined during your hiatious from TMC. Yours sounds like a fantastic place. Please keep us updated and don't be a stranger here.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby micmacmoc » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:32 pm

thanks! and thanks for the thread about the chains, I find this site really useful in showing where I may be making mistakes. Thanks all!
coffeeshop in mevagissey 'cofro' which is cornish for 'memento'
San Remo machine, gorgeous!
Origin coffee, excellent!
Mazza Grinder, perfect.
Roskilly's organic milk, brilliant!
micmacmoc

Postby micmacmoc » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:08 pm

Cofro Update

Have now switched coffee supplier to Origin who have been fantastic, all bags have (recent!) roast date on them, the re-training went particularly well. I feel much more confident about the level of our coffee, the lattes and cappuccinos especially. The quality of origin coffee is such that I am having to restrain myself from guzzling espressos all day long! Sorry to come on here and appear to be blowing my own trumpet, its all down to Tom and his staff at origin coffee in the end, thety have transformed the way I think about coffee. They have also been workingh with Roskillys Organic Milk who's product I now use as standard, foaming is easy and therefor emuch less waste....I can even do all that fancy latte art!
I have changed the way I make the espresso....I have increased the dose from the grinder and the time and quantity of water through the machine....now 32 seconds makes a lovely rich coffee.
micmacmoc

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:41 pm

Welcome back Moc :P . It's great to hear that things are going well. I just wish that beautiful Cornwall was not so far away.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby bruceb » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:08 pm

CakeBoy wrote:Welcome back Moc :P . It's great to hear that things are going well. I just wish that beautiful Cornwall was not so far away.

Far away? Seattle is far away. :P
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:48 pm

Oddly, I've been to Seattle (millions of years ago) but only managed to get as far as Looe in Cornwall! :lol:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Next

Return to Places to drink coffee