Caffe Vergnano - Charing Cross Road

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Caffe Vergnano - Charing Cross Road

Postby nickr » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:09 pm

If I've got time on my way to work I stop off for an Americano. I used to go the Nero's but gradually got fed up of their char grilled beans. For a while I went to Monmouth’s in Covent Garden. Their coffee can be lovely but recently their Americanos seemed weak and over diluted.

Then I remembered Café Vergnano. I went there a few years ago and whilst the coffee was good, I was convinced that their machine was running far too cool. Now they have a new and stunning machine. Again it’s an Electra, but not like any I've seen before. It’s very retro and very large. It's the shape of a hot water tank with I think 3 group heads poking from the side. The coffee it produces is heaven, thick and rich. The shop itself is well laid out and the view from the window entertaining.

My problem with the shop is that I went there yesterday morning desperate for a caffeine fix. I saw people in the shop but the sign on the door said closed and it was locked. This was 08.20 in a wet Thursday morning. Café Vernon is not really on my route so this was somewhat annoying - back to Nero's I suppose.

Nick
nickr

Postby Gouezeri » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:09 pm

I walk past there quite often and have often wondered what it was like (same as you, I'd spotted the machine). A while back, I looked them up on the web and the comments that I was able to find were somewhat disparaging, maybe I'll actually have to try them for myself (until Joey opens her shop here ;-) )
D
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Jo2 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:01 pm

Maybe there's more hope...
One of my collegues is moving back to France (where she's from originally) after 10 years in The Netherlands...
She has plans to start a coffee-shop in or around Beaune eventually...
I (or she herself) will keep you informed...
Mazzermini E, Jura E80, Mokapot (VBM Domobar Super on its way)
Jo2

Return to Places to drink coffee