London?

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Enrico » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:22 pm

My favourite is Caffe Caldesi in Marylebone Lane, off Marylebone High Street. Every time I've been they've pulled an excellent double.
Enrico

Postby monkey66 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:30 pm

Now there's an idea...whos up for a London coffee crawl?
Bezzera BZ99S with CAL PID
Mazzer Super Red
Large toolbox
monkey66

Postby leecb » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:22 pm

Monkey66 wrote:
whos up for a London coffee crawl?

great idea monkey! We could give 'en all hell when they f**k up :D
This week I are mainly ready to get back to making muffins!"

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Postby nickr » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:59 pm

Great idea, I'm up for it
Just call me Eeyore
nickr

Postby kingseven » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:05 pm

We talked about a London crawl a few times, but the problem is that the half decent ones are so scattered over London, for the exception of the concentration around Covent Garden/Soho that it seemed a bit of a pain.

I'd guess you'd visit:

Monmouth,
Rocket,
Cafe Vergagno (or however you spell it)
Bar Italia
Algerian (for the odds and ends maybe)
Flat White

and then where?
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby nickr » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:54 pm

Maybe we should start in a pub - pity to waste all that caffeine
Just call me Eeyore
nickr

Postby Steve » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:48 am

I'm up for it, as long as its a weekend, sounds like a giggle.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby leecb » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:36 pm

Can you just imagine it???
All the coffee geeks in the south of England, socks and sandals will surely abound! :shock:
Luckily Joris won't be there in his medieval kit, or we might really shock the locals :shock: :lol:
Oh what fun...

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Postby kingseven » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:55 pm

I think Anette and I might be doing a small one, as I listed above, in a few weeks time. I'll photograph everything (being the geek I am) and write a full report for the blog, and I thnk Anette is writing it up for a review website.
We'll let you know the dates in case anyone else wants to come... It'll probably be a Friday, not a weeked and I don't have a weekend until October time.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby leecb » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:00 pm

Let me know Jim, I'd love to come along and my work is pretty flexible as well.
Also I have this young barista from NZ working for me who already makes a mean cup of coffee, and she is really keen to expand her knowledge as well!

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Postby Paul L » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:09 pm

A Friday could be good, day-time presumably as places close in the evening?

Funny reading my own posts from a year ago:
- I had no idea at the time of the alternative traditional view of grinding fine and not really tamping. I doubt that those I spoke about did either but that's another matter
- I recently went to Ponti again in Wimbledon after an absence of some months wondering if it was still drinkable as I used to think. Bought a cappuccino, took a couple of sips, nah, stale. Struggled through some of it but realised just how far I've fallen in the space of another year as I try to keep up with the taste buds.

If I can't make Jim and Anette's session it will be good to have a short-list of places to try out anyway when in town.
Paul L

Postby CoffeeManTenPercent » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:12 am

My fav caff (yes, a caff CAN do decent coffee :P ) is just off Oxford St and close to an office that I visit a few times a month.

If you enjoy a decent fry-up (Cumberland sausages, pan-fried) and like to customise your breakfast (mine is two bacon, two sausage, two egg, white toast and COFFEE, please) I can highly recommend:

Cotton Cafe
82 Berwick St
Soho

I have asked them twice what coffe it is, forgotten both answers and now I'm too embarrassed to ask again!

http://cottoncafe.net/

Are helpful links permitted here? Being a total newbie, I haven't read the rules yet.
CoffeeManTenPercent

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:47 pm

Hi CoffeeManTenPercent and welcome :D . Wow that's a long name, maybe CM10% will do?

Links are fine as long as they are not commercial, i.e. a business interest of the poster. You might fancy introducing yourself in the Member's Area and telling us what coffee you enjoy, how you make it and so on. That breakfast sounds fab too! :wink: :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby CoffeeManTenPercent » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:46 pm

Thank you, CakeBoy (sounds like the kind of moniker I should have adapted myself :mrgreen: )

Am a newbie but I am happy to make the normal introductions. TCM10 sounds good to me too.

Having read some of the stuff on here, I suddenly feel less than confident about my recommendation for the quality of coffee at the Cotton Cafe. I know that I like it a heck of a lot but I wonder what the afficionados on here would think of it.

Sod it, the sausages are bleedin' fantastic!

Edit: Can somebody please point me to where I can introduce myself? Maybe it's me but it's not immediately obvious. Thanks a bundle.
CoffeeManTenPercent

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:44 pm

Don't worry, we're all a bunch of mad, grumpy old men .... even the girls (don't hurt me Leecb please, I'm only small) :wink: . We moan about everything .... even sausages :P

Just click on the forum tab on the menu, look for Member's Area and start a new thread. Lots of people will be nice to you and try to tempt you that you should swap all of your money for shiny new things that smell of coffee. Simple really :wink: :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

PreviousNext

Return to Places to drink coffee