Has anyone else noticed?

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby zix » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:23 pm

joey, you have pm.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby Pressurestat » Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:39 am

Wow, so much response! I do take your point about a the commercial restrictions that my method would impose, however considering everything else that you have described re portafilters and groups I can see that if you were making me a single Joey I would have nothing to worry about! However considering that most of the outlets that I am referring to: 1. Often have machines with three or four groups, 2. Three or four grinders and 3. Are the places where most of the public become 'educated' about coffee I don't see the problem in making a single with a single basket and portafilter. I was always taught that the correct proportions were: 7.5g finely ground tamped coffee with water passed through at 89 - 91 o/c and 9bar pressure for 25-30 seconds. I was also taught that this recipe could not be scaled. Even though it has been successfully by the machine manufacturers you state. I think that it is important that every outlet and every operative understand this as the root of the process, once you do you begin to understand how tamping and grind affect the pressure. Using a lever machine myself I don't have the luxury of the fully auto machines, however I do feel that I understand the fine balance needed to great that great shot and seeing as when I am out and about I want my coffee made to the same recipe it irks me when I ask for a single and they make me a double and throw half of it away.
Gaggia DX Lever Group & Bulk Brewer
Mazzer Mini
Pressurestat

Postby Joey » Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:04 am

he, he.... but sometimes, if a customer asks for a single, I do make a double, but that's because I drink the other shot for testing ;-)
but I can assure you, you won't feel a difference between this shot and the real single.
If you'll ever come to Vienna I'll make the test with you, ok? Promised :-D
joey
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby zix » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:40 pm

OK OK I admit it. There is a difference, or at least so it seems. I have been using only the single filter since yesterday and pulled maybe 15-20 shots with it (no I didn't drink them all, we baked some cakes with coffee in them and my wife had a latte or two). Before this, I haven't really used the single pf.
First off was a Coban/Yirg blend, after that we had some single Yirg, and now it is a Sana'ani/Yirg/Kenya blend. The shots, if they are good shots, seem to bring out somewhat more sweetness and/or acidity than with the double basket. Maybe I am wrong.
On the other hand, for me it is harder to get a good shot with the single basket. I need to be more careful when tamping, more careful with the grind fineness, and more careful with the amount of coffee in there. Otherwise I will get a less than perfect shot. Also, it seems I get less crema, whether or not it is a good shot.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
zix

Postby Joey » Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:42 pm

zix wrote: I need to be more careful when tamping, more careful with the grind fineness, and more careful with the amount of coffee in there. Otherwise I will get a less than perfect shot. Also, it seems I get less crema, whether or not it is a good shot.

egg-sactly!!
Now can you imagine how hard it is already to train my staff to use the right amount, find the right grind, tamp all with the same pressure and tricks, use the right heated machine for the coffee, etc.....
...even when I am not in the shop!!!!!....

And finding the right grind is not always easy. We do have written down the numbers for adjustment when the bag is opened freshly and how much finer one needs to grind when the bag is almost empty (what happens in 2-8 days, depending on the single origin - and we do seal them every day!!!)
So in the middle of the content you really have to guess and be aware of the weather situation today, too. As funny as it sounds, but when it's raining strong, your grind IS different.....

So when starting the second shift, the first barista always tells the next one "well, today make it one notch finer then usually.....
And then comes the difference between single and double baskets!!!
My people hate me, I can tell you. And I really have to take care they do it right every time!
But I have two Baristas who do take it as seriously as I do, one other I am letting go now because he doesn't .
Rescently he winked at me after a shot was deffinitely underextracted and ment "let's say it's ok, ok?"
That's a no-go!!!!!!!!
Men, I was pi**ed....

To find back to the original theme:
Today I have had a hard time in the shop because we had a rush hour and I had only totally different single origins coming in.
I prayed for two shots from the same coffee IN A ROW so that I can use the double basket and be finished quicker.
Otherwise the guests have to wait quite a while for their specialities, and that 's the downside of making in as perfect as possible.....
Joey

Postby Joey » Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:47 am

zix wrote:joey, you have pm.

hää?
what do you mean - you mean my clock?
:shock:
Joey

Postby MKSwing » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:14 am

joey wrote:
zix wrote:joey, you have pm.

hää?
what do you mean - you mean my clock?
:shock:

You have a private message.
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

Postby phil » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:51 am

Good job you didn't send more than one private message then Mats. :roll:
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby zix » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:25 pm

:D Oh dear.
zix

Previous

Return to Places to drink coffee