Cafènation: revèlation! (Antwerp)

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Cafènation: revèlation! (Antwerp)

Postby Raf » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:26 pm

As we’ve noted many a sad time: coffee culture in Belgium is non existant. However, this weekend we stumbled upon a gem in the heart of Antwerp (after a frightfully boring organized city walk that claimed to be about coffee but wasn’t). The place is called Cafènation and it’s near Antwerps shopping street Meir. Good points were earned when: 1) the first Café Torino (a double ristretto by the looks of it) we ordered was thrown away because the crema was too light. 2) the second Torino was looking rather nice, and sported a nice layer of crema. 3) PF’s were locked into groups (yes, that should be standard but hey, this is Belgium, okay?) 4) the menu warned that the espresso was served with “NO COOKIES”! 5) the barista (Rob, also owner of the place) knew what he was talking about, and was leaving for a weekend of Rome to watch baristi and machines (upgrade fever had struck, it seems) perform. 6) the “Africaspresso” – a ristretto from pure Ethiopian Harar – was véry impressive: good balance of sour, body and bitterness. Great shot.

There is, however, room for improvement. 1) The Torino was rather bitter, either because it was roasted a hint too darkly, or because there was robusta in it, or a combination of it. An espresso blend from pure arabica’s would be nice, and less bitterness, more sweet and sour notes would be appreciated. 2) No grinding to order, although he had three grinders (four if you count the machine he uses for his take out clients, which he also uses for single origin shots – see the Harar shot, which was the best shot he made, also because it was so fresh). I blame dosers, but you knew that already ;). The place might be better off with a few Mazzer Mini E’s. On the other hand, business was rather brisk, so the risk of stale coffee grounds were minimal.

All in all, the first and as yet only espresso bar in Belgium that serves a real espresso, and that I can endorse wholeheartedly.

Cafènation
Hopland 46
2000 Antwerp, Belgium
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby Belgik » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:03 pm

Hi bonjour goede dag Raf. Yes, I intended to go have a look there this lunch hour, but a problem came up with one of my ships (called "work") so I had my lunch in the office... I'll go and try it tomorrow, or next week...
FYG, I have yet everything (toot) to learn about the coffee scene, I'm the perfect example of what you say about Belgium and the espresso scene...
I bought my second-hand Giotto north of Den Haag, I just ordered a bling filter and cleaning materials from "koffiewarenhuis", yes, in Holland...

Do you know of a good shop where I could walk in and buy things like a good tamper, a rothing inox can, a knock box, a thermometer?? (Brussels or Antwerp or anywhere around...)
All these things are so easy to find on the internet in the USA, but I know the shipping charges, plus customs clearance and import duties can almost double the prices... thanks.
ECM Giotto maquinas, Macap M5 grinder, reconditioned Zassenhaus manual grinder,
Thor tamper, Britta filtered water, cheap vacuum cleaner, Hottop "basic" roaster, green beans in stock.
Belgik

Postby Raf » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:22 pm

Not that I know of, Paul. Where did you buy your Giotto? At Espresso Service West or at Van Eembergen? Or Bartolomeo? Any of those places would have what you need, but I would steer clear of Van Eembergen (read my Rancilio Rocky review for more details). I think you'll have to buy most of the stuff online.

Check out the Coffee Resources > Belgium via the drop down menu on the front page: those are the places in Belgium who are into espresso and coffee. There are a few others, but I haven't tried them all.

I bought my tamper directly from Reg Barber.

By the way, you don't mention a grinder... Do you have one?
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby Belgik » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:57 am

Grinder? Gnashing teeth, yes! In all seriousness, Raf, I don't yet have one. I'll have to save some money and buy one in 2 months or so... thinking of a Mazzer or perhaps a Rocky. I bought my Giotto "private" second hand, in new condition. I've seen your Belgium resources page, thanks. I understand there's a repair place in Ixelles, have to get the address from an Italian (actually better to say Trieste of Illy fame...) friend. I'll build up my resources bit by bit: for instance, I have to buy and build a steel extension counter to my kitchen (actually an intrusion into the dining room, over and above the large steel wire dog cage...don't ask!). Right now, the Giotto is removing too much working surface from our already limited kitchen. Somehow this coffee thing is carrying us far beyond...reason, héhé.
Yesterday evening I opened a can of ground Lavazza Arabica and brewed myself a cafe con leche. Best coffee I ever brewed! I'm sure it's far removed from perfection in these circles, but it's the best damn coffee I've ever brewed, and getting closer to the cafe con leche I know (and love) from España. Need some success to continue!
Happy easter, have a nice weekend.
ECM Giotto maquinas, Macap M5 grinder, reconditioned Zassenhaus manual grinder,
Thor tamper, Britta filtered water, cheap vacuum cleaner, Hottop "basic" roaster, green beans in stock.
Belgik

Return to Places to drink coffee