Berlin: Café Einstein, Barcomi + a small booth

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Berlin: Café Einstein, Barcomi + a small booth

Postby Joey » Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:06 am

Hi folks. :)
Although it's late and I have to get up in 4 hours again, I want to write you my experiences in Berlin the last day. I was there to receive my birthday present - sightseeing, Blu Man group and all possible coffee houses on the way ;-)

Café Einstein - the original
The first coffee house in east Berlin ever, founded by an Austrian (he, he) is located in a beautiful old Villa on the Kurfürstenstraße
Awful smell at the entrance, very old furniture, but very nice waiters, wonderful cakes and a very good coffee - which, btw, is roasted by a Berlin roaster. They sell single origins but serve only one blend.
There are other Einsteins as well, but they have different owners, some are even franchised, but they all have the same coffee and pastries.

Machines: La Marzocco
Coffee: very good, full bodied intense flavor, called the Viennese Blend (how ironic)
Could not watch the coffee making process because they where in another room.
Prices: well, more expensive then in Vienna, but you get good stuff.
If I find the brochure I will tell you how many single origins they have, or visit http://www.cafeeinstein.com/index_flash.html
opinion: :D

Café Einstein - the newer one
Located "unter den Linden" - that's the name of the street it has more a modern-made-old-style look. Again, same products, friendly people. No latte art here. I tried to find out more about the coffee flavors, but the manager and the staff could not tell me more then I could read in the brochures.
I bought their Ethiopian Sidamo, some Brasilian, Sumatra and two blends....
Espressos: well timed
Foam: freshly made
opinion: :D

Barcomi:
Interior: like a students mensa, but pictures painted on coffee bags on the walls.
Machine: Gaggia
Coffees: some single origins in bins half filled (I hate that)
Espresso: mine almost 20 seconds, the one for Geralds cappuccino 10 seconds (!)
Foam: Pre-steamed in a huge dog-bowl, rested for a whil. The waitress scoops out the cold foam after the "Barista" gave her the cup with the espresso. Later I saw him making a new bowl. He just put the bowl with milk unter the steam wand and let it "work" for the next minutes.....>sigh<
Next shock: the coffee was pre-ground in tins
I bought an Ethiopian Sidamo, again to compare, and it didn't have much flavor in the paper bag. Nada in the cup.

Geralds Cappuccino tasted like flavored with something sweet, but she said that's pure coffee....hmmmm
They have a roaster in Berlin, too.
And they had higher prices then the Einsteins - ridiculous
opinion: :x

Ok, last one.. I just had to try it:

A little booth in the subway
While waiting for the train, I saw a small HX machine in the boot. A nice lady was sitting in it, and the machine, a 2 group "Macaf´e" (whatever this is) looked so new and shining, that I sssumed "hmmm, someone must know that a HX is better for business then an automatic machine, like I found many in other stations" so someone with looooove for coffee must run that booth. And the machine lokked soooo clean - must make good coffee..... an Italian roast, btw, called Angelone.
Well, first of all I could hole the cup only when I wrapped the whole Berlin map around it - that's how hot it was. For the next 7-8 minutes.
Then I dared trying it - and it tasted like a hot paper cup. Watery, hot, and just like...paper. No coffee taste at all. Like brown paper tee, a hot one, with a bit milk. I threw it away.
opinion: :evil:

So much for the Berlin adventures. I really can recommend the Einstein cafes - and I cannot recommend the Barcomi. Although they have a nice side shop with antipasti and strange salads... looked interesting.

And the Blue Man group is fun, too.

See ya!

Joey
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby steves » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:15 pm

Thanks Joey

A friend of mine is in Berlin at the moment, so I've sent him the info.

Steve
La San Marco 85 16M-2, Rancilio Silvia with PID Controller
Mazzer Super Jolly with Doozer, Isomac Macinacaffe Professionale, Zass
I-Roast, Modifed Rival popper
Santos & various other bits and pieces
steves

Postby stevenzaat » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:09 pm

Great review Joey, this will help next time I visit Berlin. Phil-Raf, maybe it is an idea of we have enough places to drink coffee, let´s say all capitals in Europe, we make a special review menu as we have now with the internet links per country. At this moment I can only add ´Victor to go`in Haarlem, The Netherlands, but if all members describe only 1 to 2 reviews we can easily reach the 200 :D reviews

Best regards,

Steven
La Marzocco GS/3 with a Mini Mazzer Electronic (version B) for my espresso/cappuccino

Solis Maestro grinder for my french press vacuum brewed coffee, Hottop roaster, Cona D coffee brewer and a Bodum French Press.
stevenzaat

Postby phil » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:53 pm

Good idea Steven.
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby jumper » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:12 am

great idea steven it would be a lot easier than browsing this forum or repeating the same thread everytime someone goes out of town.
moccatronic eleganza 2gr
ecm botticelli 2
mazzer mini
fiorenzato t80
jumper

Postby Raf » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:13 am

Yes, indeed. We'll have to think how we differentiate the cafés from the online and real life shops, though, to make it both accessible and not too confusing.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby jumper » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:21 am

that's a toughy especially if you don't want to add a drop down menu(i wouldn't)
moccatronic eleganza 2gr
ecm botticelli 2
mazzer mini
fiorenzato t80
jumper

Postby phil » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:10 am

Personally I'd prefer to add a new level to the "Coffee Resources" menu:

Coffee Resources

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web Resources
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Places to buy and drink coffee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Austria
Belgium
etc

(but with rather better alignment!)

Thoughts?

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:15 am

Sounds good, Phil.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby jumper » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:16 pm

are all the places where you can buy coffee places where you can drink coffee the same won't it be confusing.
not trying to be critical its better than anything i would have thought of
moccatronic eleganza 2gr
ecm botticelli 2
mazzer mini
fiorenzato t80
jumper

Postby Raf » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:19 pm

Most of those Belgian coffee places are "buy only" or "drink only". It's true though that to be complete, we would have to list those sites/places twice. Dunno if that's a problem for Phil.

Raf
Founder Member

Postby phil » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:41 pm

It's not a problem as such. Do we want three levels - web shops, coffee bean shops, coffee bars? And do we want a protocol for cases where an entry appears in more than one category. Such as just a title and a "see under so-and-so" cross reference?

Feed back welcomed.

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:12 pm

I'm not sure about cross references: I don't particularly like them myself when I read a website. A reader doesn't really care about our particular, logical way of organizing our info, he just wants the info. He can easily skip it if he read it already elsewhere, no?

Raf
Founder Member

Postby jumper » Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:43 pm

phil wrote:It's not a problem as such. Do we want three levels - web shops, coffee bean shops, coffee bars? And do we want a protocol for cases where an entry appears in more than one category. Such as just a title and a "see under so-and-so" cross reference?

is it neccesary to list web shops seperatly i usually don't work on anything as big as tmc but i would just shops and bars and ad a icon for webshops
moccatronic eleganza 2gr
ecm botticelli 2
mazzer mini
fiorenzato t80
jumper

Postby phil » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:01 pm

Some places are just webshops (Hasbean, Hill&Valley) and some places are physical shops that sell on the web too.

If I wanted to buy coffee on the web I'd expect to look in a different place to the one that told me good places to buy a drink of espresso, for example.

Comment?

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Next

Return to Places to drink coffee