Jamaican Blue Mountain help!!

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Jamaican Blue Mountain help!!

Postby Tongle » Wed May 11, 2016 6:22 pm

I bought some green from an online shop and wrote a review of my resulting roast.

I was very pleasantly surprised to find a 200g bag of Jamaican Blue Mountain delivered to my door as a thank you for the review from the shop....how nice is that?

I am keenly aware that this stuff is in the more expensive bracket and as I only have 200g I am keen to get this roast right.

I looked on line and the suggestion is a medium roast (rather vague).

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed?
(I'm using the Behmor 1600 drum roaster)
Chemex
Behmor 1600 roaster
Oomph coffee maker
Cona syphon
Aeropress
V60 (02)
Baratza Encore grinder
Hario Skelton Pro hand grinder
Tongle

Re: Jamaican Blue Mountain help!!

Postby Tongle » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:14 pm

Well...seems that I'm on my own with this one.
Chemex
Behmor 1600 roaster
Oomph coffee maker
Cona syphon
Aeropress
V60 (02)
Baratza Encore grinder
Tongle

Postby bruceb » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:15 am

I'm sorry, I thought I responded to this right after you wrote it originally. I must have begun and then got distracted.

I was given a few hundred grams of Blue Mountain a few years ago. I intentionally did a light roast in order to get the most "bean flavour" rather than "roast flavour." I roasted just to the point that first crack began to taper off and then cooled quickly. I waited a day, ground medium coarse and then used a pour-over porcelain filter with a pre-moistened paper and 95°C water. It seemed to be the right way to treat the coffee, but in the end I came to the conclusion that I did not appreciate it enough to make it worth the horrendous price. The cup was very clean and rather bright.

Please let us know how you fare with this coffee. And ignore my comments above. :roll:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Tongle » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:35 pm

Thanks Bruce,
I did almost the exact same thing. Played safe pretty much by going into 1c for about 20second then cool.....cool...cool.

A very nice brew but worth the price? Not sure.
Did also notice that some of the beans were not 'peas' but the usual half bean shape ....wonder if there were some other beans blended in?

Said it before that maybe my palette is not quite refined enough to appreciate the finer points of an expensive bean or any bean for that matter but I still enjoy the process. :D
Chemex
Behmor 1600 roaster
Oomph coffee maker
Cona syphon
Aeropress
V60 (02)
Baratza Encore grinder
Tongle

Postby bruceb » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:45 am

That was my experience too, and like you said, I may not have the sensitivity of taste to judge. As an aside to that, I have noticed that as I grow older (I'm 74) my taste buds are dying quickly and all foods and drinks are beginning to taste more bland and less exciting. I'm an impassioned cook and find it rather frustrating that regardless of my efforts to "spice things up" they no longer awaken the taste experience I enjoyed in the past. This is certainly true with coffee and tea as well. I generally go by the judgment of my wife, who is considerably younger than I am. I try to see this in a positive light. I can be satisfied with much simpler things because I no longer can really appreciate the more exclusive ones. 8)
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Tongle » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:39 am

Well if you were ever to be unlucky enough to experience my cooking....that may be a blessing in disguise!
Chemex
Behmor 1600 roaster
Oomph coffee maker
Cona syphon
Aeropress
V60 (02)
Baratza Encore grinder
Tongle

Postby bruceb » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:34 am

bruceb

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping