What Sundays are made for

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

What Sundays are made for

Postby Tongle » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:11 am

20150628_094328(1).jpg
Three Amigos
20150628_094328(1).jpg (95.79 KiB) Viewed 10079 times

I have been meaning to have a go at cupping for months and finally got round to it today, with it being Sunday and raining.....

I noticed was getting to the end of my most recent batch so it seemed as good a time as any. Interesting how I had beans from Nicaragua, Brazil and Bolivia (adding weight to my 'international man of mystery' persona).

I may not be doing it according to the book but used 10g of beans ground course as per cafetiere.

First of all I have to say it was fun but I wonder if my palate needs more education.
There were clearly differences in the coffees but I found them to be very, very subtle.
However, I did notice how the tastes changed as the coffee cooled, certainly becoming more tangy!
I did try to be objective and not be influenced by the package notes and was wanting to be serious (yep, they all taste like coffee to me).

SO.......
Nicaragua Finica Limoncillo Pulped Natural Catura - Aroma gave me a hint of Marmite, kind of meaty. Acidic like oranges moving to lemons as it cooled. I tasted hamlet cigars.

Brazil Fazenda Cachoeira da Grama Pulped Natural Canario - Aroma was rubber tyres but in a nice way. Tasted much more smooth than Catura and tasted of cinder toffee.

Bolivia Finica Canton Uyunense Washed Typica - Aroma was brown toast. Instant tangy hit with an aftertaste of pnut butter.

I found this quite hard to do, I was going back and forth for 20 mins or so and really trying to find something to say other than 'well that's nice coffee!,'

Perhaps the beans I had were a bit too similar, perhaps someone could suggest some vastly different beans so that the tastes were more obvious?

Is it just a matter of experience? Are some people 'super tasters' who can pick out things we mere mortals can't or can anyone learn to do this?
Plenty of wine tasting courses out there, what about coffee tasting courses?

I'll have another go with my next order but on a blind tasting don't think I would be able to pick out any of the ones I've already tried. What am I missing here?
Chemex
Behmor 1600 roaster
Oomph coffee maker
Cona syphon
Aeropress
V60 (02)
Baratza Encore grinder
Hario Skelton Pro hand grinder
Tongle

Re: What Sundays are made for

Postby Steve » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:51 am

Hey Tongle

Good work first of all, very impressed

I'd go for 12 g's and maybe even a little more in those mugs.

The differences will be subtle so don't worry, you have 3 very fine coffees there that are tasty. I tend when doing this with newbies is put something horrible on from the supermarket at the end, then go through and that reference point can really sharpen the experience.

I have done tasting courses in the past where we really do a foundation in coffee, we should pick these up again some time
Steve
Founder Member

Re: What Sundays are made for

Postby Tongle » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:22 pm

Yeah, the supermarket gunk is a good idea and wouldn't feel like a waste of good coffee.

I think that learning to taste is like most things worth doing....it takes practise!

Thanks for the feedback!
Chemex
Behmor 1600 roaster
Oomph coffee maker
Cona syphon
Aeropress
V60 (02)
Baratza Encore grinder
Hario Skelton Pro hand grinder
Tongle

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping