What are you brewing today?

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

What are you brewing today?

Postby CGP » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:28 am

So folks, what coffee are you brewing today? How are you brewing it? How's it going? Tasting delicious?

Sorry if there's already a thread somewhere on here about this but I couldn't spot one and thought would be interesting to find out what everyone else on TMC is brewing :)

What am I up to? Well...

Photo 13-06-2015 09 12 25.jpg
Acidity Squirrel
Photo 13-06-2015 09 12 25.jpg (72.72 KiB) Viewed 40014 times

2015-06-13 09.12.47.jpg
Shrewsbury Coffeehouse GB/5
2015-06-13 09.12.47.jpg (103.59 KiB) Viewed 40014 times

Mmm, mmm, mmm 8)
CGP

Re: What are you brewing today?

Postby grib » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:34 am

Oh, I've never tried that blend, what's it like?

Currently I'm drinking a 50:50 blend of Ethiopian Yirgacheffe and Sumatra Mandheling roasted at home. My wife drinks in as filter, I use the aeropress. It's a coffee that tastes "like coffee" with a little hint of something more complex, I find it's a great one to serve guests.
Andrew "Grib" Gribben
Former Freelance Barista
The Griblog
grib

Postby Steve » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:36 am

Its a Yirg day for me, in fact thanks for the reminder I need another chemex
Steve
Founder Member

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:00 pm

Nice coffee that Acidity Squirrel.

Bolivia Finca Carmelita through Anna, and Colombia Finca La Joyeria brewed :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby ChrisC » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:11 pm

Yirg for me as well. Kochere Debo washed that I got from some bloke called Steve and brewed in the aeropress. Very nice it is too.
ChrisC

Postby dr.chris » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:58 pm

Nothing(*) The last order for beans went astray and (2 weeks after first order) I haven't received a replacement yet :evil: :evil: :evil:

(* I did try the wife's Old Java and impressive though it is, it is too much for espresso)
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:25 am

That's not good news Chris.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Steve » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:08 am

Dr Chris, is this sorted ? Let me know ?
Steve
Founder Member

Postby dr.chris » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:47 am

Its not coffee from our esteemed sponsors, but thanks for taking an interest.

In the big scheme of things Its not a big issue and its not a large order. I also appreciate that with things going missing with Royal Mail there is opportunities for abuse, but I just don't get why its an issue at all. And when things drag out it becomes very much the kind of thing which makes you start looking elsewhere.
dr.chris

Postby dr.chris » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:35 am

Well apparently a parcel has just arrived at home from Hasbean so I have coffee for the weekend :D

Still nothing from the other roaster despite them saying at the start of the week that they would send out a replacement order 1st class. Its a great shame as I did like their coffee very much but I don't think I'll be raving about them any more and I won't be back. There might be good reasons for them responding in such a way to a problem like this but I don't know what they are, and the communication, what there has been of it, has been very limited (if at least friendly in tone). Stuff happens but handling it in the right way can reduce a lot of frustration.
dr.chris

Postby bruceb » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:22 am

Sorry to hear about the problems Dr. Chris. Glad you'll have good coffee on the weekend.
We are in the fifth week of a postal strike in Germany. Not just postal workers themselves, but all package delivery services are affected. I don't often order coffee from the UK because the shipping is so expensive, but I was just about to place an order to Hasbean, but it doesn't make any sense. I am waiting for some greens from a place in Hamburg that I ordered 4 weeks ago. Occasionally a package or letter will be delivered, I presume when the storerooms get so full there is no option but to pay someone extra to deliver them. They come in all kinds of "civilian" vehicles, from a big E-class Mercedes to a ratty looking Renault van. I understand why the drivers are striking and they have my full sympathy, but I am afraid it is unlikely that they will achieve anything useful. In any case I am fortunate to have about 20 lbs of Yirg from the 60 pound bag I bought last year and I've got a bunch of remnants of Hasbean greens that a friend from the UK sent to me last year. I can pretty well hold out for another 3 or 4 months. :wink:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby dr.chris » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:56 am

Just had a triple (24g) of Jailbreak. What problems?
dr.chris

Postby bruceb » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:42 pm

dr.chris wrote:Just had a triple (24g) of Jailbreak. What problems?

Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby dr.chris » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:10 am

Just a small update on the original order. It finally arrived without warning almost 4 weeks after the original contact and after we had asked for our money back.

Getting the money back did happen but took yet another week.

What with my Hasbean order and the wife's Monsoon order we now have more than 3kg of roasted coffee beans in stock... (We do freeze but its a small freezer).
dr.chris

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping