You never learn. Well only sometimes.

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

You never learn. Well only sometimes.

Postby walts » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:58 pm

Out shopping in my invalid carriage. The sun beating down at around 26c. I was more than baked. I was crisped and about all in. Only the thought of a rousing cup of Fazenda Pantano or maybe two, kept me going. Imagine my disappointment on reaching home, to find that all I had was an empty jar where previously there had been a glittering hoard of dark fragrant beans. All I could lay hands on was a a few Indian Robustas. Goaded on by my better half who didn't think I would do it, I got out the Brikka and loaded it up with these very dark and not very fragrant beans, hitherto kept for blending purposes only. I was skeptical of what I could expect and was not disappointed. The resulting brew was harsh and bitter. Think Paracetamol tablets stuck whilst trying to swallow them. Ugh! But, such is the stoicism of man that I drank it, every drop. Yes, I was that desperate.

Whilst coping with the undoubted effects of a caffein rush, I went hunting and came up with a small bag of Ethiopian Djimma which I had been wanting to try. Digging out the PP25 roaster I soon had a batch of these, very tiny beans, heading for second crack. Memories of Indian Robusta were soon erased as the smoke billowed around me vying with clouds of flying chaff. Oh the aroma! I just could not stop grinning from ear to ear at the thought of the pleasure that was to come. Was to come? Oh dear. Of course. I had to cool those smoking beans and pack them into a container where they could cool properly and 'gass off' before I could even think of grinding them and having a brew. That is going to be another day, so no use entertaining thoughts of a brew tonight.

Not sure what to expect from the Ethiopian Djimma beans. Haven't been able to dig up anything much about them. Probably they taste so good, no one wants me to know, so that I don't hog it all. As I said earlier I was surprised to see such a small bean. Ethiopian Yergacheffe beans were much larger than these, as far as I remember. Has anyone anything to say about this coffee? I would love to know a bit more. But I did say....You never learn. Well only sometimes. Don't ever do what I did and let that last brew go without having another batch sliding into the roaster, ready to refill the jar. Happy brewing. Walt.
Bialetti Brikka 2 cup Mokka Pot.
Rival.PP25. Popcorn roaster.
Krups. GVX2 Coffee Grinder.
walts

Re: You never learn. Well only sometimes.

Postby GreenBean » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:48 pm

Was it as good as you expected, Walt?

walts wrote:....Don't ever do what I did and let that last brew go without having another batch sliding into the roaster, ready to refill the jar. Happy brewing. Walt.

I never let my supply of roasted beans drop below 400 grams. Life would not be worth living if I had to go without my coffee. :?

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

RE: Re: You never learn. Well only sometimes.

Postby bruceb » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:33 pm

I once ran out of beans and had to make do with a bottle of Old Overholt rye. Hmmm, actually, it wasn't all that traumatic. Image
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

RE: Re: You never learn. Well only sometimes.

Postby espressomattic » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:49 pm

I always manage to run out of beans - too busy doing everything else these days...I should be better prepared...but no sadly.
espressomattic

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping