Fazenda Pantano

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Fazenda Pantano

Postby walts » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:50 pm

Just come across this fascinating coffee which appears to have yellow berries instead of the more usual red ones. I sent off for a small batch of green beans and having roasted them( a dark roast), am waiting for tomorrow when I can grind a batch and taste it. Has anyone experience of this coffee and would they like to share their experience with me? I am hoping that it will be really special as I could sure do with that. Hope someone has tried it. Regards Walt
Bialetti Brikka 2 cup Mokka Pot.
Rival.PP25. Popcorn roaster.
Krups. GVX2 Coffee Grinder.
walts

RE: Fazenda Pantano

Postby walts » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:56 am

Well I never did get a reply, but I did roast my Fazenda Pantano and treat myself to a fantastic lift. I thought that the beans themselves were very small, but after 9 minutes in my Rival PP25, they had almost doubled in size. I like a dark roast so took them to a nice deep brown which I thought would enhance any flavour they might have and not be too acidic. The aroma when roasted and cooled was just fantastic. I left them overnight to 'gas off', but early next day I got out the Krups GVX2 and began to grind. Oh the smell of that grind was almost too much. Deep and rich and just the encouragement I needed to tell me that I had made a good choice in selecting this bean.

I let the grind settle a while and then loaded up the Brikka. A nice steady rise to temp and then waited for the gush that would signal my 'espresso' was ready for the cup. Oh yes! A nice steady flow and lots of crema (for a Brikka obviously) which made me almost drool with anticipation. I was not to be disappointed as the taste was wonderful. Rich. Darkly reminiscent of chocolate with an unmistakable hint of blackcurrant. It was very smooth and satisfying to the palate. Didn't leave any roughness and the caffein jolt was unmistakable. Looking into my cup afterwards I could see that the crema had lined the inside in no uncertain manner and that, for me, was the finishing touch.

Next touch for me, is to try adding a little genuine Indian Robusta to my grind, to see if there is any difference to both the amount of crema and the caffein jolt. But for me at this time, my purchase of Fazenda Pantano has been well justified.....I am happy and fulfilled and isn't that what real coffee is about? Thanks for reading. Regards Walt.
Bialetti Brikka 2 cup Mokka Pot.
Rival.PP25. Popcorn roaster.
Krups. GVX2 Coffee Grinder.
walts

Postby GreenBean » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:54 am

Thank you for posting that, Walt. :D I think I enjoyed reading it almost as much as you obviously enjoyed the coffee. It is wonderful to hear that your return to coffee is giving you such joy. 8)

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby bruceb » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:45 pm

Congratulations! That was a fun read and made me want to try roasting some "unusual" beans I have been saving for some time. There's something from Sumatra in my collection that I've been wanting to try for a long time. I think I'll roast it this afternoon. Thanks for sharing your excitement and pleasure.

Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping