Something to spoil your day

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Something to spoil your day

Postby bruceb » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:05 am

Sorry to bring this kind of news, but for those who have not heard, a leaf-blight fungus is threatening coffee plants and plantations in Central America. There's a short article about it here in Wired. In my experience (subjective observation) these kinds of events occur, doing considerable damage and increasing prices and then disappear again for years. Only time will tell if that's the case here.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby GreenBean » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:21 am

Thanks Bruce. The article makes alarming reading with comments on Central American coffee such as:
Regional production fell by 15 percent last year, putting nearly 400,000 people out of work, and that’s just a taste of what’s to come. The next harvest season begins in October, and according to the International Coffee Organization, crop losses could hit 50 percent.

I hope that things will not get that bad. :?

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping