Old School Blend

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Old School Blend

Postby simonp » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:28 am

So, resurrecting an old tradition which the longer term members will remember. Simon's Blends :) I don't do that much blending these day, as I enjoy the variety of flavours which single origins bring. that and I'm too lazy to roast several batches in a short time :oops:

This is my take on an old school blend (not anything to do with Steve's take on it, the Blake blend).

This is not new as it is one I used to do a lot years ago. I haven't had these beans together for along while so thought I'd get nostalgic.

Anyway here it is:

50% Brazilian Cachoiera - roasted medium, just shy of 2nd crack
40% Celebes Torja Kalosi - roasted dark, a little way into 2nd crack
20% Etheopian Yirgacheffe - roasted shy of 2nd crack, but looks dark possibly as it is 2010/2011 crop so little old and had got lost in a box!

A rather unfashionable blend by today's standards with little fruit in the cup. However it is very sweet, smooth and full of body, just a shame the Yirg had lost a bit of its top end. A good all rounder, well rounded straight, or with milk sweet and nutty with a good bit of kick of body (and caffeine) from the Kalosi.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

RE: Old School Blend

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:07 am

I used to love reading about your blends Simon :) Those beans certainly bring back memories and are indeed a blast from the past, each a very fine coffee and combining for a timeless blend.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby simonp » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:58 am

To show how tastes change though, this was always the favourite of my blends, but it is lacking a little something now. I guess i have got use to the variety in single origins and the fruityness of most of the newer blends these days. The old-ish Yirg has lost its floral an lemon notes though so that may not be helping.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping