Machacamarca Disaster

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Machacamarca Disaster

Postby sicinius » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:47 am

Disastrous news from Bolivia on Steve's site. The coffee business obviously looked a bit too good to jealous local officials who have moved in, messed the farm up and now there will probably be no crop next year. There's a podcast on Steve's new site which describes exactly what has happened.

Steve wants people who buy ye product regularly to write in expressing their appreciation of the coffee and their outrage at the destruction of a business that lots of people have invested lots of time and money in and whose success should be pointing the way forward for other Bolivian famers and estates rather than snatched away from the owners because the hard work has generated a large and enviable income stream.

I've taking to buying in bulk when the new crop comes in but I'll be out at the end of the month and not knowing when or whether I'll see more is a pretty horrible feeling as, despite extensive experimentation, roasted short of second and made as espresso it's still our favourite taste in a coffee cup.

AND the knowledge that you are consuming a product like this at only one remove from the producer just adds to the pleasure.

Anyway, I'm registering my complaint and anyone else who wants to see BM again should join me.
Isomac Zaffiro, Eureka Mignon, Isomac Gram Macinino, Aeropress, Stovetop espresso, various Moka stovetops, 3 cafetieres, 50's glass Cona. Behmor 1600.
sicinius

Postby GreenBean » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:50 am

Yes, the sad news has been out since July and I wrote the requested letter to Steve at that time. I still have not found any other coffee I enjoy as much and am going to miss it greatly when my current supply runs out in about 5 months. :cry:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby sicinius » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:24 am

I like to keep up to date!!

Very sad, all the same.
Isomac Zaffiro, Eureka Mignon, Isomac Gram Macinino, Aeropress, Stovetop espresso, various Moka stovetops, 3 cafetieres, 50's glass Cona. Behmor 1600.
sicinius

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:45 pm

Yes terrible news. It does nothing for one's faith in human nature. Life can be so disappointing.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping