Press pot beans?

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Press pot beans?

Postby NottmSteve » Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:01 am

Aside from anything Espresso, I have been drinking supermarket roasted whole beans that I have been grinding myself. Now I have sorted out how to roast Malabar Gold for my Classic, I want to buy in some green for my daily work Press pot coffee.

The beans I tend to favour are the supermarket Classic blends. I don't like the heavy dark roasts too much as the burnt flavour overpowers, and I'm not too fussed with the very citrus like, weaker blends that lack the full body and all round flavour.
I seem to favour the blends that are marked "3" out of 5, 5 being the darkest. Best of both worlds. Obviously, a good all round press pot green would have price to match its all round performance! I don't want anything costing £££'s to start! Or cheap crap either!

I'm looking at HasBean, and there's just too much. I know... personal taste... have to try them etc...

But, I want a couple of kilos of a trusted banker to enjoy as I try others. Any ideas?? I know roasting to different levels will make a difference... but there must be a consensus on a good press pot coffee?

Cheers
Gaggia Classic (Will consider Offers)
Mazzer Super Jolly (HAD, now sold)
Rancilio Rocky
HWP Roaster & Prima popper (for sale)
Hottop B
NottmSteve

Postby tisri » Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:18 am

For a press pot why not try the Kenya Gulmarg estate from Hasbean? Roast it until first crack is mostly finished - if you hear the first pops of second stop the roast immediately. You should then have something that works well in a filter and a press pot.

You could also try a blend of Monsoon Malabar and Ethiopian Yirgacheffe. This is one I absolutely adore, and I discovered it by chance. I only blended the two because I happened to have some of both, and the results work well however you prepare the coffee.
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Postby pault » Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:55 am

Yirgacheffe and a doughnut!!!!!!! UUUUUUGGGGGHHHHHHHH (Homer Simpson dribbling noise)
Spazio 2 Group, Pavoni Pro.
Pavoni JDoser & Mazzer Mini Elec Grinders,
Vac Pots - Mini Santos Electronic & Cona 'D'
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby stevenzaat » Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:26 pm

I would like to suggest also the Kena from Hasbean, but then the peaberries (Eeagads estate). The best there is for a press pot or drip coffee. Another suggestion for drip is the Lintong, this is more sweet and salmaniac tasting, but I prefer the Kenyan Peaberry.
La Marzocco GS/3 with a Mini Mazzer Electronic (version B) for my espresso/cappuccino

Solis Maestro grinder for my french press vacuum brewed coffee, Hottop roaster, Cona D coffee brewer and a Bodum French Press.
stevenzaat

Postby Steve » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:57 pm

As above Kenya always wins for me, maybe the Brazilian Cachoeira is also good in the press pot.

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Postby wang » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:33 pm

I hope to be sampling your Yirgacheffe and Cachoeira soon Steve! I'm splitting an order with alan so I can't wait. Just did my first roast and I'm now waiting to try it in the morning!
solis maestro, bodum columbia, starbucks extreme mug
rancilio rocky and nancy
swissmar alpenrost
black & decker heatgun
lidl brand air popper
wang

Postby Steve » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:34 pm

great news Cupping review expected soon ;)
Steve
Founder Member

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping