Espresso bean suggestions.

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Espresso bean suggestions.

Postby Ian » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:38 pm

I need to order some more greens shortly (probably from Hasbean). Been using the Cuban Serrano mainly the past couple of times and looking for a bit of a change.

What are you roasting at the moment?

Cheers

Ian
Ian

RE: Espresso bean suggestions.

Postby bruceb » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:04 pm

Drinking SOs as espresso, rather than a blend, is somewhat controversial, but I do it much of the time. In the last year I have concentrated on Brazilian beans and have been delighted with the results. Hasbean's Fazenda Cachoeira would certainly be a good choice. There are also many fine Colombian beans that work well as espresso.

For a blend I always begin with 40-50% of the Brazilian or Colombian, add about 20-30% Costa Rican, Guatemalan or other Central American for spice and make up the rest with a somewhat darkly roasted Sumatran for roast flavour and earthiness.

Good luck and let us know about your experiences! :D
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

RE: Espresso bean suggestions.

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:50 pm

Machacamarca is always lovely Ian :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Ian » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:23 am

Thanks for the suggestions chaps.

Bruce, I've been brewing SO since I started with my espresso machine in 1999/2000 mainly because I was clueless about what all the different varieties tasted like and just seemed to carry on. However, if I do come across something that is a bit bland then it'll get blended with something else that is overly lively. Glad to hear it's still controversial though :)

Cakey, never tried it so I'll give it a go.

I'm also looking for a nice PNG so if you know of a good one then please shoot me a line.

Cheers

Ian
Ian

Postby bruceb » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:04 pm

Someone gave me a kilo of Ben Colbran's PNG Baroida Estate awhile back. I think it came from Sweet Marias and it was a knockout. The first roast I did was rather dark (just into second crack) and it tasted a bit smoky, but still very delicious. After that I dumped it just before second crack and it was very clean, with a wonderful mouth feel. I made a note in my log to make sure to get some more of it, but then forgot. I just checked and Tom is still selling it. It is really an outstanding coffee!
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Ian » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:32 pm

I've never actually ordered anything from SM, the postage costs sort of put me off but it's certainly worth looking into for a bulk order.

Just ordered some Papua New Guinea - Sigri Estate grade A from greencoffeeltd.com I'll let you know how it goes.

(Cakey - got some Bolivia Finca Machacamarca de Berengula 2012 and Bolivia Finca David Vilca Organic UK6 Certified on the way from HB too).

Also now looking for some Sulewesi Kalossi :wink:
Ian

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:12 pm

Hopefully you'll like it Ian. The Macha is definately my favourite coffee this years so far, and last too! :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping