New Year's Blend

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

New Year's Blend

Postby bruceb » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:07 pm

Today I roasted the coffees for my New Year's Blend, which I will serve on New Year's morning (and for the first couple of weeks in the year, assuming we like it).

I roasted the individual beans separately, took them all just into second crack and they are roughly what Tom calls "Full City +". There are equal quantities of each:

Colombia Lot No. 21 Las Cochas
Costa Rica - Cafatalera Zamorana
Indonesia - Sumatra Utara Wahana Estate 100% Rasuna

The basis for the roast is the Colombian and the Central American and Sumatra provide the spice. I enjoy all three of these beans individually, too.

Yes, the Colombian is a CoE. Blending it may seem sacrificial, but I know that it will stand up well to the others.

I will report on the results. :D
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

RE: New Year

Postby RobC » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:49 pm

Sounds like quite a special blend, what is the Indonesia like on it's own?
Long forgotton Tech and Coffee Equipment guru.
Twitter: @c0ff33a
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take a look at my life and realise there's none left 'Cause I've been brassing and laughing so long that Even my mamma thinks that my mind is gone
RobC

Postby bruceb » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:28 pm

Well, after drinking quite a few cups I can say that the blend is quite successful. The Colombia is so good that I increased it to 60% and it gives a warm, chocolaty, creamy body. The Indonesian (wet-hulled Sumatra) has a definite clove-spice and earthy character that comes through nicely and the Costa Rica is very bright with a clean citrus fruit and melon note. Together they seem to give a very balanced and exciting cup. We have so far used about 800 grams of the blend, mostly for espresso and espresso-based milk drinks (it has no problem in cutting through the milk) and a few filter and AeroPress cups. It did take nearly 5 days to outgas adequately for espresso.

As an aside, sometime I will write about my experience with Indonesian coffees. They are quite wonderful and can be really exotic and exciting, but they are a bit tricky to roast, or more accurately, you have to really taste them in the cup and not pay attention to way the roasted beans look, or how they look when they are being roasted. It's better to depend upon crack rather than appearance. The smoke also gives important clues as to the roasting process.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:35 am

That does indeed sound like a lovely blend.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Re: RE: New Year

Postby RobC » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:54 pm

bruceb wrote:As an aside, sometime I will write about my experience with Indonesian coffees. They are quite wonderful and can be really exotic and exciting, but they are a bit tricky to roast, or more accurately, you have to really taste them in the cup and not pay attention to way the roasted beans look, or how they look when they are being roasted. It's better to depend upon crack rather than appearance. The smoke also gives important clues as to the roasting process.

Interesting, I have also found certain origins appear to have roasted badly - retaining some chaff in the "seam"- but cup excellently.
Long forgotton Tech and Coffee Equipment guru.
Twitter: @c0ff33a
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take a look at my life and realise there's none left 'Cause I've been brassing and laughing so long that Even my mamma thinks that my mind is gone
RobC

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping