Hasbean Monsooned Malabar

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Hasbean Monsooned Malabar

Postby Edward » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:10 am

Call me a philistine if you will, but I have always loved Malabar, since I tasted my first shot of it - a bag from Whittards - probably past its prime, made with a Gaggia MDF and Gaggia Classic.

Hasbean's malabar is exceptional. Smooth, velvety, full of rich body with a rewarding aftertaste reminiscent of vanilla, caramel and a slight hint of tobacco (just a touch!).

I know that to many bright coffee is the way to go and acidity is something to be coveted. I enjoy tasting bright, fruity coffees in the chemex and vac pot. But when it comes to my day to day espresso, I love a good malabar.
Edward

RE: Hasbean Monsooned Malabar

Postby GeorgeW » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:33 am

I love it too but have come to the considered opinion that that this liking is confined to those select few who have sophisticated tastes. There may be a genetic inheritance involved and I suspect that such refined sensibilities can be traced to some long-lost Royal line........could be wrong of course.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby Edward » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:34 pm

It's a ridiculously forgiving bean - I pull an excellent shot almost every time. Great for day to day use. I don't want to be making four attempts at a decent espresso in the morning when I'm about to miss the bus!
Edward

Postby paulbe » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:47 am

I also enjoy the rich velvety feel of a monsoon malabar. I don't think it makes you a philistine though!!!
paulbe

Postby bruceb » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:24 pm

It's sort of strange to me. I crave this stuff, am overwhelmed by how good it tastes and smells...for the first few days. Then I can't even stand to smell it anymore and don't roast any for a year. This has happened 4 or 5 times in the last 10 years. I don't know what to make of it.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby GreenBean » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:55 am

bruceb wrote:It's sort of strange to me. I crave this stuff, am overwhelmed by how good it tastes and smells...for the first few days. Then I can't even stand to smell it anymore and don't roast any for a year. This has happened 4 or 5 times in the last 10 years. I don't know what to make of it.

Could it have anything to do with the phases of the moon, Bruce? Perhaps in conjunction with other heavenly bodies? Do you notice any other physiological changes at the time? :wink:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby bruceb » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:55 am

GreenBean wrote:
bruceb wrote:It's sort of strange to me. I crave this stuff, am overwhelmed by how good it tastes and smells...for the first few days. Then I can't even stand to smell it anymore and don't roast any for a year. This has happened 4 or 5 times in the last 10 years. I don't know what to make of it.

Could it have anything to do with the phases of the moon, Bruce? Perhaps in conjunction with other heavenly bodies? Do you notice any other physiological changes at the time? :wink:

Naah, aside from the thick brown hair that grows all over my body and the inevitable fang problem, but those things are normal.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby GreenBean » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:39 pm

bruceb wrote:
GreenBean wrote:

Naah, aside from the thick brown hair that grows all over my body and the inevitable fang problem, but those things are normal.

Yes, that all sounds quite normal for TMC members. :?

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:30 pm

Fangs for the memories, tra la la la de da :)

Heavenly bodies as in Salma Hayek or bits of rock and other assorted debris? ;)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby GreenBean » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:08 am

CakeBoy wrote:Fangs for the memories, tra la la la de da :)

Heavenly bodies as in Salma Hayek or bits of rock and other assorted debris? ;)

Are you suggesting that we should experience the same physiological changes (growing thick brown hair and fangs) from either Salma or a bit of rock? If so I may be more damaged than I thought :oops:

GreenBean

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:53 am

But, I already have thick brown hair and fangs! Oh the hurt! :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby sicinius » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:07 am

Weird. I'm with Bruce on this.

Does anybody drink real ale? Ordinary cooking Adnams Ale, when perfect (rare but insanely wonderful when found), should smell faintly of woodsmoke and vomit in the glass and will engage the gag reflex of some drinkers. I think there's something in Malabar that hits that sort of wrong note for me, though one or two espressos can be wonderful, it persists in getting through.
Isomac Zaffiro, Eureka Mignon, Isomac Gram Macinino, Aeropress, Stovetop espresso, various Moka stovetops, 3 cafetieres, 50's glass Cona. Behmor 1600.
sicinius

Postby bruceb » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:10 pm

Well, it's pretty weird when anyone is with me on anything, but there you go.

I just roasted some MM and had the same experience again. The first three or four espresso shots were met with "Oh Wow!" The next with "Oh, yuck!" I served some to friends and three said it was the best coffee they ever tasted and two could not finish their cups. This was in the French Press. It's not a coffee that most people can take or leave. It's either one or the other.
bruceb

Postby GreenBean » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:57 am

sicinius wrote:...Does anybody drink real ale? Ordinary cooking Adnams Ale, when perfect (rare but insanely wonderful when found), should smell faintly of woodsmoke and vomit in the glass and will engage the gag reflex of some drinkers...

You make it sound so irresistible :wink:

bruceb wrote:...I just roasted some MM and had the same experience again. The first three or four espresso shots were met with "Oh Wow!" The next with "Oh, yuck!" I served some to friends and three said it was the best coffee they ever tasted and two could not finish their cups...

You make me wonder if I should try it again :?

GreenBean

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:13 pm

I have never tried it! :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Next

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping