HasBean beans- 3 tried- my feedback

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby GreenBean » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:44 pm

CakeBoy wrote:It doesn't matter how you have them as long as you enjoy them Ray. I might not like them that way but it doesn't mean I think they are bad or would say anything untoward about your preference, anymore than you would about mine. Horses for courses.

It's a tough work being a mod. This isn't our main job you know. Every evening we trawl round the pubs and restaurants of Europe demanding that people have their steaks cooked just the way we like them ......... medium, medium, how dare you, get out! ;)

orrinoconnor wrote:Cakey, I am sure the Machacamarca King will never agree with you!

If you are referring to me Ray, I can assure you that I agree with every word. I always agree with Cakey for the simple reason that he is always right. :wink: :D

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:02 pm

GreenBean wrote:
CakeBoy wrote:It doesn't matter how you have them as long as you enjoy them Ray. I might not like them that way but it doesn't mean I think they are bad or would say anything untoward about your preference, anymore than you would about mine. Horses for courses.

It's a tough work being a mod. This isn't our main job you know. Every evening we trawl round the pubs and restaurants of Europe demanding that people have their steaks cooked just the way we like them ......... medium, medium, how dare you, get out! ;)

orrinoconnor wrote:Cakey, I am sure the Machacamarca King will never agree with you!

If you are referring to me Ray, I can assure you that I agree with every word. I always agree with Cakey for the simple reason that he is always right. :wink: :D

You see, I told you muffins are a health food :P :roll:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby geedee » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:54 pm

Grreen Bean said ...If you are referring to me Ray, I can assure you that I agree with every word. I always agree with Cakey for the simple reason that he is always right. :wink: :D[/quote]

If you always agree with Cakey because he is always right, why do you lie about your love of cats ... :wink:
Life's uncertain, eat pudding first!
--------------------------------------
Wega Mini Nova - rotary , plumbed in
Macap 7 grinder
Old Monarch Deli Grinder
Gaggia MDF grinder (for sale)
3 presspots
2 mocha pots
geedee

Postby GreenBean » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:24 pm

geedee wrote:
GreenBean wrote: ...If you are referring to me Ray, I can assure you that I agree with every word. I always agree with Cakey for the simple reason that he is always right. :wink: :D

If you always agree with Cakey because he is always right, why do you lie about your love of cats ... :wink:

OK geedee, you are right, I admit it, I do secretly love cats. I was trying to steer this thread away from the subject of cats but I have failed, so I give in, I admit it, you are right, I really should be honest and admit that I love cats, they are delicious. :? :wink:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:02 am

GreenBean wrote:
geedee wrote:
GreenBean wrote: ...If you are referring to me Ray, I can assure you that I agree with every word. I always agree with Cakey for the simple reason that he is always right. :wink: :D

OK geedee, you are right, I admit it, I do secretly love cats. I was trying to steer this thread away from the subject of cats but I have failed, so I give in, I admit it, you are right, I really should be honest and admit that I love cats, they are delicious. :? :wink:

Leg or wing? :shock:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby GreenBean » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:39 am

CakeBoy wrote:
GreenBean wrote:
geedee wrote:

Leg or wing? :shock:

Oh wing, definitely wing, although they are strangely difficult to find these days. :( :D

GreenBean

Postby Aadje » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:00 am

Cats are indeed starting to take over . . . their plan for world domination seems to work (here at least) :)
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby mankini » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:20 pm

Excellent... so now everyone has stopped throwing their toys out of the cot... lets get back to coffee... how about some reviews of coffees you have tried... liked or disliked... or is a coffee forum not the right place for consumer feedback?
mankini

Postby lsjms » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:13 pm

Were we ever on coffee? I thought this was a cat forum.

Nor sure who you are calling out, but I for one do not review coffee- because I'm a f**in nobody.
lsjms

Postby geedee » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:56 pm

lsjms wrote:Were we ever on coffee? I thought this was a cat forum.

Nor sure who you are calling out, but I for one do not review coffee- because I'm a f**in nobody.

No! No! No! I am the 'nobody' around here, and I can pull seniority as my membership predates yours 8)

Maybe I don't review coffee because I don't have enough pejoratives in my vocabulary, I lurk and learn ...
Macap 7 grinder
Old Monarch Deli Grinder
3 presspots
2 mocha pots
geedee

Postby bruceb » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:05 pm

Now listen, when it comes to nobodyship I have you all beat. What's all this about coffee, anyway? :?
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby lsjms » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:58 pm

I have roasted and brewed many good(well grown, processed and handled)coffees. All viewed through the small window of straight espresso, I have no opinion on coffees brewed by a different method, save for friends feedback. I have been seriously disappointed by some of these coffees, some of which came with positive 'reviews' from trusted coffee people. Does it means these coffees suck, no, it just means they are not for me. Good coffee for me is about the highs and the lows, without them everything would just be bland. Should I subject people to my very narrow view of particular beans, no, I don't think so.
I was in Ray's situation I would be doing a serious assessment of my roasting and brewing, rather than looking to purchase robusta. I also feel the problem described with the macha do not sound like bean issues more a roast level/development issue. Without trying a full city+ (or whatever is to taste)version of assured roast quality you can't really know what the bean is capable of. Based on reports here you should be able to get some chocolate out of the Macha or at least get less acid more roast etc. There are no traditional beans, at least not in the terms you describe. Macha is made up of pretty old plant DNA, so in a sense is traditional. 12kg blind is a big bet when your roaster does 250g!

Sorry for that off topic diversion, Geedee is that a Vizsla in your avatar? My favourite dogs. Here is a photo of a dog in a catflap. I hope the mods will permit this in the forum due to the catflap interest.
Attachments
vizcat.jpg
vizcat.jpg (9.15 KiB) Viewed 19510 times
Last edited by lsjms on Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lsjms

Postby bruceb » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:17 pm

lsjms wrote:Sorry for that off topic diversion, Geedee is that a Visla in your avatar? My favourite dogs. Here is a photo of a dog in a catflap. I hope the mods will permit this in the forum due to the catflap interest.

Sir. That is a catflap, ergo, that must be a cat. My trained cateye suggests that it is a very rare, wirehaired Hungarian Vizcat, quite a handsome example, too. :wink:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby geedee » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:42 pm

lsjms wrote:Sorry for that off topic diversion, Geedee is that a Visla in your avatar? My favourite dogs. Here is a photo of a dog in a catflap. I hope the mods will permit this in the forum due to the catflap interest.

My Avatar is a Hungarian Wire Haired Vizsla ... and seriously, whose dog is that? I breed, train and work HWV's, and I agree with Bruce .... that is a cracker!! And it qualifies as it is 'c*ff** ish coloured
Macap 7 grinder
Old Monarch Deli Grinder
3 presspots
2 mocha pots
geedee

Postby bruceb » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:17 pm

Yes, many of us here enjoy the company of rare cat breeds. Karin and I have, in addition to two fine parlour tigers, a very rare German Sheep Cat (pictured below):
Attachments
Andor_238.jpg
Deutsche Schaeferkatze
Andor_238.jpg (15.73 KiB) Viewed 19488 times
bruceb

PreviousNext

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping