HasBean beans- 3 tried- my feedback

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby lsjms » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:25 am

Bombcup likes the Balmadi too, filth I tell you

Coffee eh?
lsjms

Postby mankini » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:30 am

I do not get to review coffee??? I am the guy that pays for your gurus coffee so I can comment on it. Its a shame that theres so many hidden agendas here.
A cut and paste from Bombcaps webpage blog: " ...buy your green from www.hasbean.co.uk . You’ll have an adventure, just not one you wanna tell your friends about. They won’t get it."
Its a shame that what started out as a few simple reviews about a coffee I bought gets embroiled in such nonsense. Where was everyone when another member recently submitted a survey on who found Jailbreak good and who didnt? This is a coffee forum is it not? You may not agree that I find a coffee crap, but life goes on... where are YOUR reviews of coffee in the UK? Start writing reviews instead of attacking me... I look forward to everyones reviews from now on. And please also state if you have an association with the roaster. Be honest and lets keep it real.
mankini

Postby Gouezeri » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:35 am

Smelt like shit to me... cow shit to be precise. Certainly a unique coffee. I enjoyed it, just not sure I would want to drink it every day.
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby lsjms » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:37 am

disclosure;
Bombcup is my pal, we met through awesome coffee. I like Hasbean.

Mankini, if you want to offer up the bad you need to state some good to hold a valid opinion. There are no dark forces at work here and if you ever met anyone through this forum you may see otherwise,

Get your head out your a**e. Good coffee is good coffee, if you don't like the roaster, move on.
lsjms

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:43 am

Gouezeri wrote:Smelt like shit to me... cow shit to be precise. Certainly a unique coffee. I enjoyed it, just not sure I would want to drink it every day.

Most things smell like crap to me at the moment ...........
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby lsjms » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:48 am

Got your head in your a**e too?
lsjms

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:49 am

Just sniffing ...... ;)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Gouezeri » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:56 am

How to have an informed opinion... or at least a good place to start. Can't find crap, astringent, or cojones... strangely.
Gouezeri

Postby Viernes » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:23 am

mankini wrote:Ok, so I already mentioned my feelings about Jailbreak..
I have now tried 3 variants from HasBean...

Seems that you have a "classic palate" for espresso; dark, bold and strong. I don't think you will find a HasBean blend that matches your tastes. Steve roasts lightly; he try (with success) to get the best bean flavors without add other flavors and aromas (roast flavors). This is what new school roasters, or "3rd wave" roasters are trying to do this days. IMO Steve roasts are excellent. You only have to take a look at the beans: no divots, tipping or charring, and the bean origin is first class. I mean, the "problem" (for your tastes) isn't the roaster, or the bean, is the STYLE. Fruity/Acidic flavors are not for everyone.

Me, like you and other users (Piero, for example) are used and likes the classic italian espresso, that has nothing to do with the new school coffee style. Lately, I've learned to enjoy those fruity flavors, this way I can enjoy the old and new worlds. :) However, I don't completely agree with the new roasters "philosophy". A lot of new style roasts I've tried are unbalanced. I understand that is great to get the "real" flavors of the bean, but most times I find the sourness overpowering and, frankly, not valid for espresso.

If high acidity is so good, why bitterness is so bad? Why seems that most roasters are trying to completely eliminate any trace of bitterness? Why all are trying to eliminate the roast flavors? When I eat a good grilled steak, I love the roast and smoky Maillard's reaction flavors! Same for the coffee! Most Naples coffees have some smoky-burnt aromas that coats your tongue, your mouth and your nose, and on cappuccino it cuts the milk incredibly well. Think of Islay whiskies, PEAT, SMOKE, BIG... delicious.... yeah, the smokiness it's not a real flavor of the malt and destillers (same for the roasters) have to tweak the process to get the smokiness, and it's really good.

In the end, you can get used to the new flavors, and/or roast yourself the coffee to match your tastes. That's what I do.
Last edited by Viernes on Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II ♦ Mypressi Twist ♦ Eva Solo ♦ Hario TCA-5
Mahlkönig K30 Vario ♦ Mahlkönig Vario
Quest M3 ♦ Gene Café
Viernes

Postby mankini » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:30 am

Oton, as everyone can plainly see... the moderators of this website have no respect whatsoever for views that contradict their own... and are actively participating as a pack of hunting dogs to 'prove' that only their opinions count... i'm sure if i got free beans from my favourite roaster i too would be upset, but this is not an attack on a person, its a review of a coffee... i think the response of the mods is really going to put off people who are on this forum... my post has stimulated a response which is good forum... unfortunately in this case its aggressive, childish, agenda-laden nonsense... maybe the mods should be honest from the start and openly state that differing opinions will not be tolerated and will be actively discredited.
mankini

Postby Bombcup » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:21 am

The mods and members of this forum have a lot of respect for people who put their livelihoods on the line to start a business doing something they passionately believe in, putting in huge amounts of time and effort to further the cause of great coffee for the public to enjoy and improving the welfare of workers in coffee producing nations.

This is why it hurts to hear people shooting off a load of potentially damaging gobshite. You don't like bright coffee. The website says 'this is bright coffee'. You come on here and say 'uuuugh it's crap, terrible, dirty, and don't even dare suggest that I've not pulled it right'. If you throw it up there, expect to get it shot down.

Nobody has a problem with people expressing their opinions, but there are ways and means.

Bombcup

Postby GreenBean » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:45 am

It is always sad when this happens in a thread on TMC. We are a bunch of friends who try to help each other on our coffee journey. We love coffee and enjoy TMC.

The moderators are volunteers and I am certain that all members of TMC, that have been around here long enough to get to know them, have the greatest respect for their wisdom and restraint when dealing with these situations.

mankini wrote:... i think the response of the mods is really going to put off people who are on this forum...

When you say a coffee is crap you consider that an honestly held opinion. When we politely disagree you consider that agenda-laden nonsense.

Any reasonable person reading this thread will have no difficulty at all seeing where the problem lies.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:26 pm

Not sure what we have said or done here but whatever. If only I had a pound for every time the disgruntled have started the old agenda, free beans, blah blah stuff as a deflection tactic. Of course, they know everything about the team having just arrived on the last bus.

I don't think there is anything the mod team could add to the thread that mankini hasn't done to himself and has been recognised by other members. As a member driven forum, we'll leave this to the members to moderate.

Have a great afternoon y'all :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby orrinoconnor » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:56 pm

Oh dear, at the risk of getting beat over the head for destroying what some consider to be their favorite bean of all time; Yes, Bolivia Finca Machacamarca.
I bought 12Kg of this bean. I searched for advise on roasting it and strangely enough my first roast came out perfectly per the advise I obtained. I was pleased!
I tried the beans the following day and found them a bit tasteless. They improved dramatically over a few days but it was still not what I wanted or considered to be good coffee. OK so now your all probably guessing what I did to rectify the situation,,,,,, the next roast was taken to the max,, not quite charcoal. I'm also considering throwing a bit of robusta in with the mix to see what I get.
I know most you you may consider that I destroyed probably the most beautifully balanced beans ever. This I know includes two of the moderators, and the Machacamarca King himself!
Perhaps it's just what I am used to but I know I like my beans roasted, well roasted with robust chocolate and nuts in the cup. I know Steve is one of the new school of coffee roasters who roasts light and finds different things to enjoy in the cup. I question that my pallet perhaps needs educating and I look forward to trying coffee at some of the recommended places in London next time I am over. If there is any offers of meeting members and having coffee with them I welcome them by way of coffee education. I am not sure that I will ever be converted to the modern ways with coffees. I am so glad I got a coffee roaster as I can roast the hell out of the beans to satisfy my current tastes. :shock:
I don't think this part will change much, I know I will be buying the Blake beans next time, I know it will be closer to what I want out of a cup of coffee as it is described as more traditional, and designed for people like me. I am willing to try the others as life will one day stop and I want to fit in as much as I can,,, but if I don't like them,,, or get what all the fuss is about after a time I will probably stop and stick with what satisfies my desires. Even if that means Burnt with to much Milk and Hazelnut Syrup to get there. :lol:
Last edited by orrinoconnor on Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
orrinoconnor

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:15 pm

It doesn't matter how you have them as long as you enjoy them Ray. I might not like them that way but it doesn't mean I think they are bad or would say anything untoward about your preference, anymore than you would about mine. Horses for courses.

It's a tough work being a mod. This isn't our main job you know. Every evening we trawl round the pubs and restaurants of Europe demanding that people have their steaks cooked just the way we like them ......... medium, medium, how dare you, get out! ;)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

PreviousNext

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping