HasBean beans- 3 tried- my feedback

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby orrinoconnor » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:38 pm

Cakey, I am sure the Machacamarca King will never agree with you!
Last edited by orrinoconnor on Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
orrinoconnor

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:39 pm

He suffers for his art ;)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby GreenBean » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:43 pm

Hey Ray, there is nothing wrong with you disliking beans that I love. All the more for me. I would say, though, that it is a huge mistake to think that roasting beans is just a matter of putting them in a roaster turning them brown and trying the result and assuming that is the best the beans can offer. It will take months of practice to learn to get anything near the best. Even experts can produce results that are undrinkable on occasion. In the past I have had beans that I love professionally roasted and had to throw them in the bin, I simply could not drink them.

I would suggest that, if you like really dark roast, you use cheap beans and lots of practice. I do not know if the Behmor is the best roaster for dark roasts but I am no expert. If you are sure you are not going to like the Machacamarca practice on those. Try varying the load and program and anything suggested by Behmor owners. By chance you will eventually get a roast about right and only then will you realise that the beans are actually very good. Then the fun starts trying to figure out why they were good that time and trying to reproduce it. It is a never ending quest to improve.

I promise you that the Machacamarca, like many beans can be horrible, just about OK, pretty good or wonderful depending on the roast and how you brew them.:D

CakeBoy wrote:....It's a tough work being a mod. This isn't our main job you know. Every evening we trawl round the pubs and restaurants of Europe demanding that people have their steaks cooked just the way we like them ......... medium, medium, how dare you, get out! ;)

What.... you let them order medium. :x What are you thinking of? Everyone knows that rare is the only way to go. If it is not dripping in blood it is ruined. :wink: :D

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby orrinoconnor » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:58 pm

GB, the best result I have had with the beans was the double roast I tried.
I think I have to get an order in for some Blake.
Who else sells Greens that are quite traditional in style?
Last edited by orrinoconnor on Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
orrinoconnor

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:05 pm

Many of those in the HB stock are traditional in style, and James Gourmet Coffee is worth a look.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Gouezeri » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:19 pm

Sorry, been offline most of the day polishing my helmet and plotting my hidden agenda... Hey, that takes time!
I do want to respond to the comment that the mod team is in leagues with certain roasters. This is certainly not the case and the accusation is one I take personally, NO roaster in my acquaintance (and I know enough) has ever provided me with free samples of their roasted coffee. I respect them for the work they do and wish to reward them for that accordingly. Yes I have been offered, but I always refuse, in order to keep my independence and be able to refute complete and utter bollox on the forum without any form of bias.

Orrino, thanks for having given your opinion, but in a respectful manner. We all have different tastes, and you seem to have found a formula that works for you. Great! Hopefully your constructive comments may be of use to others who feel they share your taste. I'm not at home right now, but I've still got a few kg of Macha greens, so I would be interested in any roast notes/profiles you may have and I'll give it a try. It's important we all keep trying new things, developing our palates and keeping our minds open. Just don't expect me to come on here and claim that the coffee was shite, just because it wasn't to my taste!
Gouezeri

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:32 pm

I have to admit to having received free beans. Gouezeri kindly sent a bag last week. In the package was the receipt on which it was clear that he paid full price for them. Very nice they are too. Thanks mate :)

Actually, mankini, if you do post on this thread again, please make sure you substantiate your claim about the receipt of free beans from 'favourite roasters', or feel free to retract it as pure fantasy. Thanks.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby orrinoconnor » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:56 pm

CakeBoy wrote:Many of those in the HB stock are traditional in style, and James Gourmet Coffee is worth a look.

Cakey, I don't think I would use James Gourmet Coffee as I want to roast my own greens. I don't think they supply green's!
orrinoconnor

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:59 pm

orrinoconnor wrote:
CakeBoy wrote:Many of those in the HB stock are traditional in style, and James Gourmet Coffee is worth a look.

Cakey, I don't think I would use James Gourmet Coffee as I want to roast my own greens. I don't think they supply green's!

Oh no, you are right. Sorry, I really thought they did for some reason, doh :oops:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby silron1 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:12 pm

- To keep the record correct - I think you will find Peter James does do excellent green beans - I've purchased from him as well as some excellent dark roasted.
Ron :)
silron1

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:25 pm

Thanks Ron, I was sure he did. Ray, I've just looked again at the James Gourmet Coffee site and if you click on the drop down menu on each bean page, you will find 'raw green beans' at the bottom of the 'grind' choice list. I expect you, like me, were searching for a 'greens' area on the site :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby Gouezeri » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:33 am

CakeBoy wrote:I have to admit to having received free beans. Gouezeri kindly sent a bag last week. In the package was the receipt on which it was clear that he paid full price for them. Very nice they are too. Thanks mate

My pleasure.
Good coffee deserves to be shared with good friends.

They roasted em nice and dark, just like I asked them to, I hope. :wink:

I am lucky enough to have a number of friends in the coffee trade and despite their knowledge and skill, you couldn't find a more decent, humble and nice bunch of people, accepting of anyone irrespective of background or skill, as long as they are keen to share in a passion of good coffee, with an open mind. Which is I why I think they should at the very least be treated with respect.

I remember buying some OBJ from Steve, he told me I wouldn't like it and he was right. I still wanted to give it a try though. I could have blamed the coffee and said it was bad. Instead I seem to remember swapping it for some Cach with the young George, and we both thought we had the better deal! I believe both coffees to be good, just suited to different tastes... fairdos I reckon. Thank God for choice. Hey Bruce, I seem to remember you finding certain espressos too bright for your taste at that open day? Remind me if I'm wrong, this would maybe suggest a slight change in your taste in the past few years?

I seriously hope the roasters in the UK don't bow to pressure, but instead continue to instruct and broaden our palates with unique and memorable coffees such as the Geisha, Esme, Tegu and Balmadi I have had the good fortune to try, amongst others (still got some Geisha actually). We are truly lucky to have world class roasters here in the UK, let's not take that for granted.

Mark, I may have been away for a bit, but you could at least have kept me old soapbox clean, it's covered in dust! :p
Gouezeri

Postby orrinoconnor » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:11 am

Gouezeri wrote:I remember buying some OBJ from Steve, he told me I wouldn't like it and he was right.

I can only think of one meaning to this TLA and I think it's wrong. :oops:
orrinoconnor

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:10 pm

Old Brown Java :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby kingseven » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:35 pm

I think people's main gripe is probably down to the lack of distinction between personal opinion and statement fact.

"I didn't like this" is a very long way away from "this is terrible coffee". Some people have a higher tolerance for bitterness than others, some a higher tolerance for acidity. This is personal. No one really likes astringency, though it is rarely (in my experience) a characteristic of a coffee, more a characteristic of brewing issues (usually underextraction).

Before this turns into a rant - I'd ask anyone reviewing coffees to go to some lengths to separate their opinions from facts. Opinions are very useful - they should be included, as this is where reviews are most useful. If the reviewer likes something, and we've generally agreed in the past, then I am likely to trust the review and make a purchase, or in the opposite circumstance avoid a purchase.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

PreviousNext

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping