Jainbreak espresso blend from HasBean- my 2 cents

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Jainbreak espresso blend from HasBean- my 2 cents

Postby mankini » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:26 pm

I've been trying these beans for the last few days and its the most ridiculous espresso. I dont know if the high content of husk has anything to do with it, but try as I will I get a 'dirty' , unpleasant flavour from it. I have altered the grind setting on my mazzer several times and compared to other beans tried sofar I will not be buying these ones again.

Next week I will try Kicker and Blake.

I hope to get a positive experience from those.
mankini

Postby orrinoconnor » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:35 pm

I think Steve enjoys trying things that are a little different, perhaps going out on a limb, sounds like this is a little to avant-garde for your liking.
I'm going to post a poll to get opinions of others who have tried it!
I've not tried the Jailbreak.
Blake is said to be more traditional in style and cuts through milk well.
orrinoconnor

Postby mankini » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:52 pm

any idea how or if a high husk content can affect flavour? theres an aweful lot of it in the jailbreak blend...
mankini

Postby bruceb » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:41 pm

mankini wrote:any idea how or if a high husk content can affect flavour? theres an aweful lot of it in the jailbreak blend...

By husk I assume you mean chaff. My own roasted beans often have (or had previously) a lot of chaff in them and I never noticed anything different, bad or unusual about the coffee. Chaff is very neutral and I can't imagine it having much of an effect on the roasted beans.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby mankini » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:51 pm

ahhh... Blake is much much better... I can see myself buying this one again... has a little more cojones... Jailbreak reminds me of IrnBru... Blake completely different...
mankini

Postby orrinoconnor » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:05 am

Mankini, Glad to hear you have found one you like. I think I will have to have me some of the Blake for milk drinks, I know it's a bit subjective but, how dark is it roasted? I like cojones to my coffee!
orrinoconnor

Postby mankini » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:59 am

I would recommend Blake for a double macciato... not too much milk... but for macciato it works well... its not terribly dark roasted... i like to taste the coffee if i have milk in it... i think it would still get a little lost in a latte or cappu... maybe my palate is different to yours... british isles seems to like a very weak milky brew with a skid mark of coffee in it... i am more of an old skool back streets of naples kinda a man... or a kiwi double macciato (eg Bald Barista in Dublin if you ever cross the border)...
mankini

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:42 pm

I wonder if people really would like the milky stuff if they had been served better made coffee in the UK over the past 30+ years. I fear the public often wants what the public gets as the song goes.

I'm not a dark roasted fan but that has little to do with making any coffee cut the milk. It seems that most coffee is made like dishwater by the majority, unfortunately.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping