milk frothing stainless steel jugs

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

milk frothing stainless steel jugs

Postby mankini » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:01 pm

a few quick questions...
are all ss jugs created equal or are some better than others for milk frothing? does a thicker steel allow for better control and hence better microfoam?

is a round spout any better than a v-shaped spout? or no difference?

wheres the best online place to buy them? bellabarista charges 8 quid to send a 50cl jug within the uk which is ridiculous...

whats size would one recommend for me? i might make 2 flat whites at a time, but no more... would a small amount of milk in a large jug be difficult to froth properly? or would a small 33cl jug froth better for the amounts i have in mind?

i have a rocket cellini, just bought...

cheers
mankini

Postby orrinoconnor » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:31 am

Mankini,
as to your questions about foaming milk perhaps someone more qualified would be better answering that, however I will try!

I know the Motto jugs are very well made and highly regarded, but they do not come cheap.
I did a post just a few days ago on the best prices I have seen for them:
http://www.toomuchcoffee.com/index.php? ... pic&t=8973
This jug is apparently noted for coffee art, if your so inclined.
However Bruce assures me the very finest rosettas can be produced using an old bean tin if you have the skill!

I think steaming milk is just a mater of practice, I have always found it useful to listen when steaming many different sounds are produced at different times depending on where the wand is in the milk.
I sort of lift the tip just very slightly to the surface of the milk at the start this produces some large bubbles then by holding the tip just bellow the surface the big bubbles are drawn back into the milk and brought to a micro foam.:oops:
There may be someone along to rap my wrists because my way is wrong but no one taught me it works for myself. The milk should however be very fresh.
Probably best straight from the cow!:roll:
Good luck with the steaming!!

Ray
orrinoconnor

Postby 2drips » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:32 pm

Hi

James' Gourmet Coffee sell Motta jugs and I think you'll get a standard delivery charge of £2.75 - you could add some coffee to the order and spread the delivery charge :D

I really like my Motta but at the moment I'm blaming faulty cows for my foaming inability
2drips

Postby mankini » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:43 pm

Thanks sofar... yes, 2.75 for postage is what i was expecting. not 8 quid! i dont understand how the exhorbidant postage costs can be justified and be taken seriously...
mankini

Postby motoman » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:03 pm

Please describe the method you use to determine a faulty cow? I suggest you return them if they are still under guarantee and also refuse any dented bottles from the milkman.

Foaming inability is something we do not discuss on this site, by reducing your security you can access sites more suitable to your errrr tastes.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby 2drips » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:17 pm

I was going to explain how to identify a faulty cow but soon realised I was getting close to require sectioning :(
2drips

Postby orrinoconnor » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:43 pm

If you take the 750ml size including post at James coffee it's 24.75
At Cream supplies it is 20.44 inc vat! that's £4.31 cheaper.

Ray
orrinoconnor

Postby motoman » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:19 am

Ahhhhh Ray! I salute your courage, surviving an attack like mine shows tremendous grit and determination.

or new glasses?
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby Chris » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:03 pm

Based on my own experience, I'd not bother with the motta jug and get a two of these jugs, 360ml for small amounts e.g. single drink and a 600ml for two drinks :

http://www.creamsupplies.co.uk/budget-m ... ?category=

They are less heavy and don't feel as solid as the motta but if you look after them well neither of these points matter. What does matter is that I texture milk better and pour better with the ones I'm suggesting. I've not used my motta jug since I bought these. They are also much, much cheaper... just over £9 for both.

Cheers
Chris

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping